Home General Discussion

Very Good Deal

betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
Apologies, I'm still pretty new. So I'll re-purpose this thread. I have a question regarding your local tobacco shops; I know this place right by where I live, called Maxi's Cigar Store. I like the guy, and he cuts me pretty decent deals (throws in freebie cigars, cuts a dollar of the prices here and there...) However, I wonder, since he sells Padilla 1936's for 18 dollars a stick (and they are generally like, 13 here? 11 even?) I was wondering if cigar shops in general are over priced, or if I should be looking for a better shop.

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Brother, on this forum we try and not post deals to other sites out of respect for Cigar.com and because we were asked by Alex to refrain from doing so. Just wanted you to know.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    want a good deal?
    one that is almost impossible to beat?
    check out cigar.com's daily deal. many of these are crazy good.
    .... and by "many" i mean "all"
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    Alright, thread has been updated.
    betasynn:
    Apologies, I'm still pretty new. So I'll re-purpose this thread. I have a question regarding your local tobacco shops; I know this place right by where I live, called Maxi's Cigar Store. I like the guy, and he cuts me pretty decent deals (throws in freebie cigars, cuts a dollar of the prices here and there...) However, I wonder, since he sells Padilla 1936's for 18 dollars a stick (and they are generally like, 13 here? 11 even?) I was wondering if cigar shops in general are over priced, or if I should be looking for a better shop.
    shops only offer one thing that cigar.com doesnt: a place to sit down and smoke. Most of my cigar shopping is online. if i am out with friends i have no problem stopping at a B&M but i just know that im paying for the place to smoke.

well, thats how i see it anyway.
    Makes sense; don't some B&Ms have exclusives, too?
  • benskibenski Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 20
    rwheelwright:
    Brother, on this forum we try and not post deals to other sites out of respect for Cigar.com and because we were asked by Alex to refrain from doing so. Just wanted you to know.
    I would question this policy. This is not a private forum. This is a publically accessible website - this is the internet - to restrict or censor discussion in such a manner is counter productive to a website in the long run. We are clearly here as we are customers of Cigar.com - whilst you may not find coupons for another retailer in another retailer's premises, the internet is not like brick and mortar stores.
    I would agree, if it were a policy. But if this is a social construct, and done out of respect, I'm more then happy to not post ads.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    benski:
    rwheelwright:
    I would question this policy. This is not a private forum. This is a publically accessible website - this is the internet - to restrict or censor discussion in such a manner is counter productive to a website in the long run. We are clearly here as we are customers of Cigar.com - whilst you may not find coupons for another retailer in another retailer's premises, the internet is not like brick and mortar stores.
    If I remember correctly, there's some legalities involved or something. I could be wrong. And again, it's more a matter of respect.
    benski:
    rwheelwright:
    You can question the policy all you want. Since it is owned by cigar.com they can have any policy they want. Also, they have the right to remove the forum and then we as customers or just general browsers will loose in the end. This site is kinda of public but the fact that it requires you to register a username and password makes it private also. There are almost no rules here. To follow the few they have is out of respect. I hope this doesn't sound rude. It isn't meant to be.
    its not a public forum at all. it is a private forum owned by cigar.com

they can remove any user thread, or post at any time should they choose. they own the site. they dont use this right often, but it has been done.

would you expect a walmart forum to let ads for target be posted in a thread?

I think that this argument should be stopped. The ad has been removed, this discussion is pretty fruitless. Let's just keep talking about cigars, and maybe the question I have posted at the top and then the next one a little ways down.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    benski:
    rwheelwright:

Unless you want to incur the wrath of about every regular user on here AND have your post removed by the moderator anyway just let it slide and don't do it....don't sweat the little stuff...this is a great site lets not *** it up with non-issues and just playing devils advocate... we play on their site so we play by their rules
    Buying a product online is usually cheaper than in a B&M store in my experience. For one, there's usually no tax involved, and B&M's charge more to cover cost. As for exclusives, I'm not really sure. I'm sure there's a few out there that do have them.
    betasynn:
    I think that this argument should be stopped. The ad has been removed, this discussion is pretty fruitless. Let's just keep talking about cigars, and maybe the question I have posted at the top and then the next one a little ways down.

agreed
    Since when did questioning a policy create such a hullabaloo? You guys are a tad sensitive - I am entitled to my opinion. This is not the military. Questioning a viewpoint is an entirely valid stance and not disrespectful. As a small matter of note - the forum most certainly is a public one - it may be owned by a private company, but that makes no odds: no registration is required to view the contents of the site.
    If you went and pissed all over a public park, you'd still get arrested. The point being, even if it is public, there are social norms to follow. Yes; by all means express your opinions. I think that we have all sort of ganged up on you a little too hard; but the gist of this, and please, let this discussion end here, is this: -This is a semi-public forum. -You have the right to an opinion. -Alex has asked that we not post outside ads; as a matter of courtesy, not compliance, we will not post ads. -This is not a policy, it was a request. -If you want to post ads, you could probably do it. I don't think it would get positive feedback, but it is entirely your choice. Please, guys. Leave it here.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    my local cigar bar is usually little higher than most places online, but I usually just go up there to have a drink and have a smoke while watching a ball game. I also buy a cigar or two just to help out the local cigar establishment because I like having a cigar bar close to me (since I live in the country, that's even rarer). I also like browsing their walkin humidor, the smell is fantastic!
    Yeah I love the smell of the walk-in humi's
    Krieg:
    my local cigar bar is usually little higher than most places online, but I usually just go up there to have a drink and have a smoke while watching a ball game. I also buy a cigar or two just to help out the local cigar establishment because I like having a cigar bar close to me (since I live in the country, that's even rarer). I also like browsing their walkin humidor, the smell is fantastic!
    Same here. I might spend a little more, but I don't mind spending a little more for the convenience.
    benski:
    As a small matter of note - the forum most certainly is a public one - it may be owned by a private company, but that makes no odds: no registration is required to view the contents of the site.
    by the same rationale, Walmart is public as well (even though they are privately owned) ...and so are Churches. if you went into either one of those places and disrupted the rules they established, you would be kicked out. Cigar.com has every right to make whatever rules about the forum that it owns and runs. they have the right to enforce those rules as they see fit. they also have the right to let the general public view their privately run forum.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 282
    Like others mentioned here, I go my shop to do the occasional smoke and chit-chat about cigars and other topics, although much of their stock is overpriced. But the one thing I like about going to the shop is being able to look at the different varieties available. If cigar.com figured out a way to make its site scratch-and-sniff all other cigar sites and shops would be shut down within days. The only other perk is to be able to get smokes that cigar.com doesn't carry. And there are two in particular: La Flor de Ynclan (awesome smoke!) and one other but the name escapes me at the time.

Other than that, cigar.com has everything you need, really. The selection is excellent and inexpensive, the staff and their expertise is top notch, site is easy to navigate, and forum members have plenty of experience, friendly and are way cool, especially the ones riding motorcycles in their avatar.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Matt Marvel:
    Buying a product online is usually cheaper than in a B&M store in my experience. For one, there's usually no tax involved, and B&M's charge more to cover cost. As for exclusives, I'm not really sure. I'm sure there's a few out there that do have them.
    Amen to the tax thing brother. I'm ok with paying 10$ a stick for a 10$ stick, I have a problem with paying 15$ for a 6$ stick, of course I live in the Republic of California, so I guess I'm lucky I can even get stogies here.
    I intend to buy almost everything from online here, actually. The daily deals are pretty slick and a great way to sample, weekend blitz is even better. I'll probably just go to the shop once a week to buy a stick and relax in the lounge with some buds. I guess that makes a lot of sense.
    Garen B:
    Matt Marvel:
    Amen to the tax thing brother. I'm ok with paying 10$ a stick for a 10$ stick, I have a problem with paying 15$ for a 6$ stick, of course I live in the Republic of California, so I guess I'm lucky I can even get stogies here.
    From what I remember is that profit on cigars is 100% which means that a $10 cigar before taxes really costs $5 before taxes. So, you end up paying closer to $12 - $15 for that $5 cigar. Of course different taxes per state, etc... I'm sure PA has a tobacco tax (not positive) but ccom does not charge sales tax so we are getting away with it...for now!
    Krieg:
    That is a very good policy and one I would never question! :~)
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    kuzi16:
    benski:
    As a small matter of note - the forum most certainly is a public one - it may be owned by a private company, but that makes no odds: no registration is required to view the contents of the site.
    by the same rationale, Walmart is public as well (even though they are privately owned) ...and so are Churches. if you went into either one of those places and disrupted the rules they established, you would be kicked out. Cigar.com has every right to make whatever rules about the forum that it owns and runs. they have the right to enforce those rules as they see fit. they also have the right to let the general public view their privately run forum.
    So didn't Joshua Smelko step in as the moderator, presumably for exactly this type of thing? He would represent ccom and decide what they did and didn't want up here, rather than the customers deciding. Just saying...
  • kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    For my local purchases, it's almost always single stick sales. When I want a box, I always look for a deal somewhere, and locals just never seem to run any kind of sales, specials, deals, etc. Not that all internet places do either, but usually I find something.
    Luko:
    kuzi16:
    benski:
    So didn't Joshua Smelko step in as the moderator, presumably for exactly this type of thing? He would represent ccom and decide what they did and didn't want up here, rather than the customers deciding. Just saying...
    i was wondering the same thing.

the mods do let us chat a bit. we self moderate to some degree. and in all reality, we havent said anything "mod worthy" yet. Im sure that if we all sat around blasting ccom then he would step in. we all have reasonable questions and im just doing my best to give an answer. If im wrong, i expect to be corrected by the mod.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Luko:
    kuzi16:
    benski:

Josh and I were in Nicaragua last week when this post came up so we did not get to it. I am also trying to stay a bit more active on the forum. The truth is that I set up this forum, and by the time I got around to laying down the rules, I noticed something remarkable, guys were demonstrating amazing etiquette. For example, I belong to a private cigar club here in chicago, there are no rules posted when you enter the lounge, but guys have created their own code of conduct. As new members come in, they learn the ropes from existing members and if a guy makes a mistake, he is never held with his feet to the fire rather he is pulled aside privately or brought up to speed in a very friendly manner. It is never an ego thing and when there is any discussion of etiquette, it is understood that the incoming members dont take offense and that the existing guys handle things very casually (to me the biggest offense would be if an existing guy had a big ego trip or laid into a new member in an unfriendly manner when newbies are learning the ropes). This is a public forum, but if guys clash with the existing code of conduct set forth by the members, I assure you, people who dont want to play along simply wont want to stay around. At the end of the day, this forum was created for customers of Cigar.com. Much like a store has a lounge for customers to hang out in, this is your space. The only written rule I have, is that no one posts anything offensive. I also reserve the right to delete any thread or post or ban any member for any reason. Besides that, this is your community, your space. I would hate to screw it up by making a million rules and having you guys feel like it is not your own. I think you guys are complete gentleman and in a sense, we are all moderators and watch out for this forum and each other. I wouldn't have it another way.