Home General Discussion

Belgian Puros.

danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
I have family in Belgium and a cousin of mine will be visiting for a few weeks. Before he left, he asked if there was something he can bring back for me. I said sure, and asked him if there was such thing as 100% Belgium cigars. So along with bottles of Chimay and Duvel, he came through and gifted me these.
A little something I thought I'd share with you fellow BOTLs. Has anyone had any experience with Belgian smokes before?
Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)
Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Those look friggin awesome!!!
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Never had Belgian cigars, but they look really nice. Those are Cool!
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Those NICARAO cigars or whatever are actually made by AJ, for some Euro who is supposed to be a big shot tobacco science nerd. Can't remember all of the specifics, but they are Euro market only I believe at the moment. Nino has written about them several times, and has been very positive.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    I asked my cousin if he had more info on the cigars. He speaks French with little English. He was kind enough to have his friend(who purchased the cigars) contact me via FaceBook. Le Roi du Cigare is the name of a B&M in Brussels. The Coronas are the B&Ms house blend and its a Belgian Puro.
    The Nicarao are Euro which are made in Dominican Rep. ( says it right under the Box Haha.)
    Here is the twist. I Googled Nicarao cigars, and they Have a website. It happens to be a Nicaraguan Puro. The Home page has a pic of AJ with, I'm assuming the Euro Nerd guy that Doc is talking about.
    Nicaraguan Puro hand made in Dom Rep. sold in Europe??? I'm confused.

http://nicaraocigars.com/en/
    Yeah yeah! Didier Houvenaghel. That's his name. If I remember correctly, he actually has written a book, or some other dissertation length piece on cigar tobacco that Alex has actually mentioned, titled "FROM SOIL TO SOUL". I'd love to get a copy in English... I think there are plans to get Nicarao into the American market, if I remember correctly. Nino (I'm sure some of you have seen his amazing website, Flyingcigar.de) has written about Nicarao several times, very positively, and also Didier who apparently does seminars for clubs that sound really informative and interesting. I'd love to try a Nicaraguan Puro blended for the European market (since the American cigar palate, at least as it stands currently, is not really in line with my own...) using tobacco from AJ (who the Euros actually love, given his lengthy tutelage under the great Don Robaina)
    docbp87:
    Yeah yeah! Didier Houvenaghel. That's his name. If I remember correctly, he actually has written a book, or some other dissertation length piece on cigar tobacco that Alex has actually mentioned, titled "FROM SOIL TO SOUL". I'd love to get a copy in English... I think there are plans to get Nicarao into the American market, if I remember correctly. Nino (I'm sure some of you have seen his amazing website, Flyingcigar.de) has written about Nicarao several times, very positively, and also Didier who apparently does seminars for clubs that sound really informative and interesting. I'd love to try a Nicaraguan Puro blended for the European market (since the American cigar palate, at least as it stands currently, is not really in line with my own...) using tobacco from AJ (who the Euros actually love, given his lengthy tutelage under the great Don Robaina)
    Where does the hand made in Dominican Republic come in? Maybe just the box that the cigars were put in? Hehe
    Ditto on what doc said. I'd be really interested to see what aj did for the euro market/palate. Given his history with Robania, I can't wait to one say see what he can do with the Cuban tobacco. The VR Don A is probably the highest cigar on my want to try list.
    catfishbluezz:
    The VR Don A is probably the highest cigar on my want to try list.
    Love the Don Alejandros... but they actually don't have much to do with Robaina. The Vegas Robaina marca is weird, in that they really don't use tobacco from the finca Robaina, and Alejandro didn't blend them or anything. He was a famous personality in the cigar world, and in Cuba, and the Marca being named after him was kind of a mix of honoring his success and legendary status, and exploiting his fame and success to sell cigars for Habanos. Don't get me wrong though, they are great cigars.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    docbp87:
    Those NICARAO cigars or whatever are actually made by AJ, for some Euro who is supposed to be a big shot tobacco science nerd. Can't remember all of the specifics, but they are Euro market only I believe at the moment. Nino has written about them several times, and has been very positive.
    *Cough* sister site *Cough*

docbp87:
    catfishbluezz:
    The VR Don A is probably the highest cigar on my want to try list.
    Love the Don Alejandros... but they actually don't have much to do with Robaina. The Vegas Robaina marca is weird, in that they really don't use tobacco from the finca Robaina, and Alejandro didn't blend them or anything. He was a famous personality in the cigar world, and in Cuba, and the Marca being named after him was kind of a mix of honoring his success and legendary status, and exploiting his fame and success to sell cigars for Habanos. Don't get me wrong though, they are great cigars.
    Interesting...I knew the brand was in his honor and I heard he was known for his wrapper. Apparently a friend has a connection to smokes from his farm that was established before he passed. We are waiting to see if they come through.
    stephen_hannibal:
    docbp87:
    *Cough* sister site *Cough*

Not real Nicaraos. Exclusives for sister. I'm talking about the actual brand being sold Stateside. Not just having their name on a band.
  • pbchevopbchevo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 712
    WOW I just learned something new again
    pbchevo:
    WOW I just learned something new again
    +1 .................. I think lol