Home General Discussion

bead question

Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
i got a pound of beeds off ebay, and i have a question for you guys. when you spray them with distilled water are they supossed to sound like rice crispies? And also the beads seem to be falling apart and turning to crystal dust. Im not putting these in my humi as of right now. Thanks

Comments

• TridentTrident Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,005
    Yes, when you "charge" the beads they will snap crackle and pop on you. That's normal. There should also be a little color change to them. Some of them will crack, and some will turn to dust. you may notice some dust in the bottom of the bag when you get them...they are "delicate" for a lack of better term.
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 147
    I've heard that to prevent the cracking of the beads that you should instead of spraying water directly on the beads put the beads in a higher RH% environment and let them absorb the water. You have to be carefull because if you leave them in there too long they will all get charged.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    The conservagel beads I used made the cracking sound. The heartfelt I used did not make that sound. Both were charged the same way.
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    The guy said they were crystal clear litter pearls.
    They are going back.....just ordered heartfelt beads. Should have done that in the first place! Now just have to wait until heartfelt comes back from vacation next month....
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    Rail Jockey:
    Sounds like kitty litter beads. That's what I use, and they make that sound when I charge them. If they are kitty litter, I really hope he specified that in the ad - otherwise, it's a scam. Kitty litter is much cheaper then regular beads, and he shouldn't be selling them at humidor-bead prices.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    Unthought_Known:
    Rail Jockey:
    Sounds like kitty litter beads. That's what I use, and they make that sound when I charge them. If they are kitty litter, I really hope he specified that in the ad - otherwise, it's a scam. Kitty litter is much cheaper then regular beads, and he shouldn't be selling them at humidor-bead prices.
    there are several sellers on ebay doing the same thing, ive only heard of two guys that sold actual loose beads and neither sell them anymore.
  • TridentTrident Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,005
    I got mine off eBay and they are working perfectly.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Rail Jockey:
    They are going back.....just ordered heartfelt beads. Should have done that in the first place! Now just have to wait until heartfelt comes back from vacation next month....
    Next month? Damn I needed to order some.. Ohwell guess I gotta wait now.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Knoxca1:
    I've heard that to prevent the cracking of the beads that you should instead of spraying water directly on the beads put the beads in a higher RH% environment and let them absorb the water. You have to be carefull because if you leave them in there too long they will all get charged.

I NEVER charge my beads! As I've said many times I simply place the beads in my coolidor along with a small container of distilled water and my sticks and then remove the container of DW when the RH gets to where you want it. Monitor it for a few days to be sure the RH is holding and you're done. The beads will absorb moisture when necessary and release it back into the air when the RH drops below their stated value, I.e., the RH % they're designed for. Spraying them or otherwise moistening them is simply counterproductive .
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Direwolf:
    Rail Jockey:
    Just ordered 2 lbs from them last week. Might want to order now though. Their site says if you order during the closure you get 15% off your entire order.
    amz1301:
    Direwolf:
    Rail Jockey:
    Just ordered 2 lbs from them last week. Might want to order now though. Their site says if you order during the closure you get 15% off your entire order.
    Ordered yesterday...got the 15% discount i have a hydra xl, just wanted something for a quick recovery when i open the door
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    james40:
    The conservagel beads I used made the cracking sound. The heartfelt I used did not make that sound. Both were charged the same way.
    Same here...both turn clear when charged
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    jlmarta:
    Knoxca1:

I NEVER charge my beads! As I've said many times I simply place the beads in my coolidor along with a small container of distilled water and my sticks and then remove the container of DW when the RH gets to where you want it. Monitor it for a few days to be sure the RH is holding and you're done. The beads will absorb moisture when necessary and release it back into the air when the RH drops below their stated value, I.e., the RH % they're designed for. Spraying them or otherwise moistening them is simply counterproductive .
    I've heard of this before. I'm gonna need to order me a new bead disc for my 50 ct , I think I've ruined them by overcharging. Think I'll try this approach next time.