Home General Discussion

Digital Cigar Dossier for android[Possibly iPhone]

woodymanwoodyman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 39

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: FREE AND FULL VERSIONS NOW AVAILABLE.

Let me start by saying, How often to you actually get to have direct involvement and control in your Android apps that you love and use everyday? For most of you probably not to often, and if you do that's great, but why not take advantage of one more? So read on, and check out my cigar app!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey CCOM community, I’d like to introduce to you all something that I recently started working on, and would like to show to all of you! First I have to be clear this is currently only for “Android” devices, because I do not own a mac in order to develop apps for “Apple” devices. So for now only “Android” and hopefully in the future I can get a mac and support “Apple” devices as well.

Now onto a small background story if you’re interested. I’m still fairly new to the cigar world and CCOM, I first started to get into cigars last September [2011], and I’ve enjoyed the experience offered to me by the cigars I’ve smoked. Before that, I had only a cigar for special occasions and wrapping up the semesters at school. So I did some research dug a little bit into the art and culture surrounding cigars, and one thing that seemed popular to me and stuck out was the idea of “Cigar Dossier”. I checked on my phone for an electronic version of a cigar dossier and was surprised at the lack of attention the cigar community seemed to have on Android devices. This led me to the conclusion that since I develop for Android, I should take some time and create a cigar dossier for Android devices. Mobile devices and smartphones are huge in today’s society, so I thought it would be a great opportunity. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to actually start work on this concept until recently.

The app is called “Cigar Box” and the free version is currently available in the Google Play Store, I will post some links below, but for now onto the app itself! What the app will do is allow the user to input a cigar that they have smoked, they can input as much or as little as they choose, and the app will save each cigar, where the user can go back and look at previous reviews and cigar entries. The free version of the app allows the user to input the following:
- Cigar Name
- Cigar Size
- Country of origin
- Wrapper
- Comments
- Rating [5 star scale]

The paid version of the app allows the following to be input:
- Cigar Name
- Cigar Size
- Country of origin
- Wrapper
- Wrapper color [Scale]
- Filler
- Binder
- Price
- Strength [Scale]
- Current number in your humidor
- Comments
- Rating
- Photo

The full version does more than just record all your entries too! There are 4 buttons on the main screen. [I would post some screenshots, but there is no way for me to do that here(At least not that I know of). So if you check the links below that go to the Google Play Store you can see what I'm talking about in better detail.] The buttons are:
- My Humidor
- My Dossier [This is where you actually track and input your cigars]
- Local Shops [This will find local cigar shops around you.]
- Tools

My Dossier and Local Shops are explained above, so now onto the other 2 buttons..

'My Humidor' button is not yet finished, I'm exploring various ways to go about how the final implementation is going to be for this section, and with that being said you guys have the ability to directly influence how it will look, feel, and function in future releases. I have some prelimlary ideas and mock ups I can share if you guys would like, just let me know.

The 'Tools' button has 2 current tools, but more are in progress and being worked on. Currently there is a Cigar Glossary, I tried to get the most common/useful terms, but if there are some you think should be included just let me know and I'll be more than happy to update the section. The other tool currently available is the Cigar color chart, which as you can guess is just a picture with different cigar colors, for most of you this is probably not something you will use often if ever, but for people new to cigars or maybe as a refresher it houses a nice graphic that displays cigars and the appropriate wrapper coloring. More tools are in progress, and if there is something you think should be included, or something you WANT included just let me know and i'll see what I can do!

Both the free and paid versions are currently in the Google Play Store

So now, I am asking you guys what else would you like to see in the app, be it storage details for cigars or other app features you think are important. I’m open to any and all feedback, and I’m willing to tailor the app to be best suited for the cigar community. So please feel free to let me know what you think, and I may have a few copies of the full version for some of you to test out and give a try if anyone is willing.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Free
--------------------------------
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidconcepts.cigarbox.free

Paid [only $ .99]
---------------------------------
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidconcepts.cigarbox

Or you can view ALL my apps here
------------------------------------------------
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Droid+Concepts
or
http://www.droidconcepts.com/google-play

Thank you all for your support and feedback, I look forward to getting suggestions and talking with you all more!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just so you all know, I am a full time college student, doing as much Android development work as I can on the side, so at times progress is slow, as I have a hectic schedule, but I am dedicated to making sure you have a great Android, and user experience. I strive to achieve great customer satisfaction, and if you have questions or reach out to contact me I'm sure you'll see that.

Comments

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    F.Y.I. The app I have now does everything yours will do but also keeps track of quantity (& I can deduct from the quantity when I smoke one) & keeps track of price. I can also access a "Stats" feature which tells me how many cigars I have in inventory, How much $$$ I have in cigars, What cigar(s) have the most age on them & the last one I smoked.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    If it had an inventory feature to it, I would think that would be helpful to some. Since we ALWAYS have our phones, we could input the number of a particular kind that is on hand, so, say that you happen into a B&M and can't remember what you have, you could whip out that nice little app and know right away. Just my .02
    KCW:
    F.Y.I. The app I have now does everything yours will do but also keeps track of quantity (& I can deduct from the quantity when I smoke one) & keeps track of price. I can also access a "Stats" feature which tells me how many cigars I have in inventory, How much $$$ I have in cigars, What cigar(s) have the most age on them & the last one I smoked.
    We must have typing at the same time and you beat me to the punch, but yes, exactly, lol
  • woodymanwoodyman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 39
    Do you have a link to your app? I'd be interested in checking it out. Most of what you mention yours already has I have already considered adding, just starting slow and going basic for the initial version! Wouldn't mind a PM from you either if your willing to talk more about it
    KCW:
    woodyman:
    Do you have a link to your app? I'd be interested in checking it out. Most of what you mention yours already has I have already considered adding, just starting slow and going basic for the initial version! Wouldn't mind a PM from you either if your willing to talk more about it
    KCW:
    PM to ya.
    Will defiantly add that to my list of intended features.. Thanks for the feedback!
    marineatbn03:
    If it had an inventory feature to it, I would think that would be helpful to some. Since we ALWAYS have our phones, we could input the number of a particular kind that is on hand, so, say that you happen into a B&M and can't remember what you have, you could whip out that nice little app and know right away. Just my .02
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    KCW:
    Can I PM you for the link to that App? Or can you PM me it? Thanks.
    0patience:
    KCW:
    PM sent.
  • JHeweyJHewey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,411
    KCW:
    0patience:
    KCW:
    PM sent.
    Can I get a PM?
  • StreaterStreater Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    KCW:
    Can you PM a link Sir?
    Streater:
    KCW:
    Can you PM a link Sir?
    PM Sent.
    I've lost track of who I PM'd.
    Soooooo, the Android App I'm using is called "Rate My Cigar"
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I use Cigar Boss for the iPhone
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Woodyman, sounds like you're off to a great start! Keep at it and I'm sure you'll convert a bunch of us to using your app. Best of luck to you!
    Thanks for the support man!
    BigT06:
    Woodyman, sounds like you're off to a great start! Keep at it and I'm sure you'll convert a bunch of us to using your app. Best of luck to you!
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Sounds very cool, woody.

There's a website that I use to keep track of information like this - but it's not optimized for mobile devices which makes it somewhat of a pain to use on my iphone/ipad and that is part of the reason I don't use it as much as I used to.
    I've tried out a couple different apps for iphone but haven't been overwhelmed by any of them. If you all do an iphone release I'll definitely give it a shot.

Best of luck.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    KCW:
    I have an iphone and have an app installed that pretty much does what KCW has explained. Not only does it do all of the following but it also gives a top 10 list in overall cigars, full, med, and economy. It will also find the nearest B&M to your location and has an cigar encyclopedia that allows you to look up pretty much any cigar and read it' country of orgin and other facts. It also up dates with the latest cigar news and new sticks. It's a pretty awesome app for any cigar smoker.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Smokindaddy:
    KCW:
    I have an iphone and have an app installed that pretty much does what KCW has explained. Not only does it do all of the following but it also gives a top 10 list in overall cigars, full, med, and economy. It will also find the nearest B&M to your location and has an cigar encyclopedia that allows you to look up pretty much any cigar and read it' country of orgin and other facts. It also up dates with the latest cigar news and new sticks. It's a pretty awesome app for any cigar smoker.
    Would you be so kind to PM me the name of said app.
    jgibv:
    Smokindaddy:
    KCW:
    You have been PM'd lol
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    I myself use the android app "My Cigar Book Plus".

Will do man, just a small thing with Apple is that you need a mac to do any iOS development, so until I can get my hands on a mac, the iOS version is on hold. :(
    jgibv:
    Sounds very cool, woody.

There's a website that I use to keep track of information like this - but it's not optimized for mobile devices which makes it somewhat of a pain to use on my iphone/ipad and that is part of the reason I don't use it as much as I used to.
    I've tried out a couple different apps for iphone but haven't been overwhelmed by any of them. If you all do an iphone release I'll definitely give it a shot.

Best of luck.
  • Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    Smokindaddy:
    jgibv:
    Smokindaddy:
    KCW:
    You have been PM'd lol

can I get tab pm as well thanks in advance..
    Medic45:
    Smokindaddy:
    jgibv:
    Smokindaddy:
    KCW:
    You have been PM'd lol

can I get tab pm as well thanks in advance..
    PM sent
    Well I took your clues, and decided to do some updating! I have updated the free version to match the UI and layout of how the full version will be.. The full version is very close to being done, and I'll post back when I get it published, but I would really appreciate it if you guys would take the chance and download my free version and post back some thoughts in the thread.. and if people are interested i'll hand out a few of the paid versions for some of you to test out and use! I have done a major UI overhaul and changed the whole layout of the app, so If you have it installed now expect some changes.. I can't post links/screenshots, so just copy and paste the address below to check it out! I have a lot of plans for this app, and hope to get up to all of your standards as time progresses! Thanks for reading!! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidconcepts.cigarbox.free
    Now if it were only on blackberry.....
    Want to keep you all updated on progress.. The full and free versions are both published, the free version does contain ads, that display at the top of the screen. So if you don't like ads, or simply want more features and more input categories for your cigars than please upgrade to the full version.. I'm working on adding more and more features to the app and trying to get as much input as I can on things.. I appreciate everyone taking the time to check out the thread and replying with comments even though most deal with other apps. ;) I just ask you give mine a chance, not asking or telling you to buy the full, but at least check out the free! How often can you get direct input into Android, or any 'OS' app development.. So this is your chance. I'm here to listen to you all and try to make this the best cigar journal/dossier available for you and the rest of the Android community. If you have any questions feel free to ask I'm always open to hearing back from my users.. You can either reply here in this thread, PM me or send me an email at woodyman@droidconcepts.com or even a tweet @DroidConcepts Help me better serve you!
    woodyman:
    Want to keep you all updated on progress.. The full and free versions are both published, the free version does contain ads, that display at the top of the screen. So if you don't like ads, or simply want more features and more input categories for your cigars than please upgrade to the full version.. I'm working on adding more and more features to the app and trying to get as much input as I can on things.. I appreciate everyone taking the time to check out the thread and replying with comments even though most deal with other apps. ;) I just ask you give mine a chance, not asking or telling you to buy the full, but at least check out the free! How often can you get direct input into Android, or any 'OS' app development.. So this is your chance. I'm here to listen to you all and try to make this the best cigar journal/dossier available for you and the rest of the Android community. If you have any questions feel free to ask I'm always open to hearing back from my users.. You can either reply here in this thread, PM me or send me an email at woodyman@droidconcepts.com or even a tweet @DroidConcepts Help me better serve you!
    I actually have that program (the cigar box free) on my tablet. I have not yet got to mess with it, but now that I know it is the one you are talking about and developing, I will. Got to checking and the full version is 99 cents?
    I'm thinking I can splurge and pay that high price for it. LOL!
    When I get a chance I will spend a little time on it and see what I think.
    Thanks.
    Sorry about the change in formating on the first post, after my update/edit when I hit saved it seemed to have wiped it out to some extent. But when I click 'Edit' the formatting is all present.. Guessing a ccom issue? anyone know?
    Thank you! I look forward to hearing your feedback and improving the app for you and others... It's a great help when I actually have people contacting me for ideas and what not.. With every person who has purchased any one of apps at the crazy .99 cents price I've emailed them with a similar thank you letter, and asking for feedback/suggestions, A few have replied and I've actually been working with them this week to enhance and change features and add features to the apps they were using.. I do my best to listen and gets things done promptly.. Which is why I'm hoping I can get more involvement from the community here.. So I look forward to hearing from you about how I can improve the app! Thanks for taking the time with downloading and leaving a reply!!
    woodyman:
    Sorry about the change in formating on the first post, after my update/edit when I hit saved it seemed to have wiped it out to some extent. But when I click 'Edit' the formatting is all present.. Guessing a ccom issue? anyone know?
    You have to make your "page breaks" in html to do line breaks on this forum. For some reason, the formatting doesn't automatically break the lines when you hit "enter".