Home General Discussion

Cigar placement

JZerbyJZerby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 122
I just set up and filled my new 50 count humi. It has one of those dividers. My question for you is how do you organize your sticks? I'm not asking cuz I think there is some magic way to do it, but rather what you do personally. I've taken the divider and set it off center and places a number of smaller, petite corona, sized smokes on the smaller side and my "normal" sized smokes on the other (Picture below). How do you divide them?

Comments

• bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Basically the same as you. My divider sections off a 1/4 area where I keep coronas and my bead container.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    JZerby:
    I'm not asking cuz I think there is some magic way to do it, but rather what you do personally. I've taken the divider and set it off center and places a number of smaller, petite corona, sized smokes on the smaller side and my "normal" sized smokes on the other
    Just FYI, the pic isn't showing up for me.... might want to double check your formatting and make sure you're linking to an image file.

And you hit the nail on the head with this, the placement is personal preference, there's no right answer. I know this question's come up before but don't remember what the title of the thread was, but I know some of the BOTLs had some pretty cool ideas for organizing their smokes. (Maybe someone can help dig this up?)

Personally, for my everyday humi I try to separate by size and strength. I always put the larger RG cigars on the bottom and smaller RGs on top for each section; then I have it separated by "full body", a "medium" section, and a "mild section" ... however for my coolidor - that's just a cluster f**k of boxes and singles everywhere. The only "organization" for it is I have one section for "special occassion smokes" consisting of rare/HTFs/ultra premiums.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Organized humi? I don't know such things. I actually take the divider and raise it high up on an angle, against the side of the box. I then put my mist tubes on top of it. It keeps the tubes away from the sticks.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    in my 50 ct i use the divider to seperate my new sticks from my aging sticks. new sticks on left aged on right after 6 months i move the left to the right and which ever from the right i want or think are ready to my smalled 20ct "ready to smoke" humi that i keep at 63rh
  • seagarloverseagarlover Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 437
    First off, I was the one yesterday that was talking to you about CIG smoking and how hard it was to quit, remember that, (CIGARETTE SMOKING IS A HABIT, CIGAR SMOKING IS AN EVENT" as for your HUMIDOR, this is all up to you, now here is how I do my storage. I have a 150 stick HUMIDOR, so I place my high end sticks in the middle, and my daily smokes on the bottom, and the petite small thin sticks on the top, those are the CGARS i give out to my friends. as for smoking cigs, MY WIFE WAS IN THE ROOM WHEN I STARTED THIS REPLY, anyway, I'm still switching back from cigs to cigars it is @#$&% hard to quit. BUT then I think about all the work that went into this awesome smoke the roller the time the aging of the leaf, and it makes it easier. to quit. and you need to use HTML for your pictures use PHOTOBUCKET if you do not allready have it. HAVE A CIG FREE DAY
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    By Manufacturer
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I place them so they all fit!! So really shape is the only thing i look at.
  • leerescue@yahoo.comleerescue@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    Ok by size, brand, age. What about age? How long should you leave it? And how does age chang the cigar? There is so much to know! And what is the ideal humidity? It says 68 to 72%?
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    My humi has three drawers and I have two that are for cigars I havent tried yet, and then the third is my "special" stash that I break out when I need a smoke that I know I'll like! I also put any rare(cuban) sticks that I may come across in that one too!
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    leerescue@yahoo.com:
    Ok by size, brand, age. What about age? How long should you leave it? And how does age chang the cigar? There is so much to know! And what is the ideal humidity? It says 68 to 72%?
    There can be a million different answers to your questions, but I can try to answer them briefly, for the way I view things;
    What about age? : Some leave the cello on and use a small sticker that they write the date they received the stick. That is one way. I tend to know how old my sticks are (the oldes I have are now 11 years and counting)

How long should you leave it? : This is totally up to you. Opinions will vary and everyone will have a reason for their opinion, but I believe the truth is that cigars that are kept at proper humidity and temperature can last a very, very long time. I'm talking 30 years and more, and still be smoke-able. Stronger cigars will do better with age, and cigars that are made with 'aged' tobacco may not not need ageing. Best thing to do is smoke one when you get it, write down your thoughts and let some age a few months, try again, then a few months more. Over time you will find what suits you best.

And how does age change the cigar? : Age will allow the cigar to 'marry' the oils from the different leafs and make some cigars better. Age will not make a bad cigar into a good cigar, and some people really like their cigars 'fresh', not aged. It's all up to you and how you perceive the cigar over time.

As far as humidity, that will differ again, but in general, not over 70% and not under 60%. You will find that your humidor may vary as well with the seasons. Just don't let it go too far above or below for any length of time and you should be fine.

Don't forget to use the "search" feature on these forums. All of this has been discussed in other threads and there is a wealth of info floating around here somewhere.

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I've got deviders in mine but it's mostly for looks. I used to keep my mild sticks seperated but I tend to favor more the med/full range now so my mild sticks don't take much room and I figure as long as they are in cello it's no biggie. As far a humidity I personally like 68%. I use 2 large humicare gel rectangles that work perfectly in my 300 count and a bead disc in my 50 count.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Placement? Organization? Aside from one area reserved for everything AJ, it's pretty much just random. And yet I somehow know where everything is anyways.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Oh and except for when I'm rotating for age I try to keep the longer sticks on the bottom and stuff like petite coronas on top. Just makes it look neater
  • leerescue@yahoo.comleerescue@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    camgfs:
    leerescue@yahoo.com:
    There can be a million different answers to your questions, but I can try to answer them briefly, for the way I view things;
    What about age? : Some leave the cello on and use a small sticker that they write the date they received the stick. That is one way. I tend to know how old my sticks are (the oldes I have are now 11 years and counting)

How long should you leave it? : This is totally up to you. Opinions will vary and everyone will have a reason for their opinion, but I believe the truth is that cigars that are kept at proper humidity and temperature can last a very, very long time. I'm talking 30 years and more, and still be smoke-able. Stronger cigars will do better with age, and cigars that are made with 'aged' tobacco may not not need ageing. Best thing to do is smoke one when you get it, write down your thoughts and let some age a few months, try again, then a few months more. Over time you will find what suits you best.

And how does age change the cigar? : Age will allow the cigar to 'marry' the oils from the different leafs and make some cigars better. Age will not make a bad cigar into a good cigar, and some people really like their cigars 'fresh', not aged. It's all up to you and how you perceive the cigar over time.

As far as humidity, that will differ again, but in general, not over 70% and not under 60%. You will find that your humidor may vary as well with the seasons. Just don't let it go too far above or below for any length of time and you should be fine.

Don't forget to use the "search" feature on these forums. All of this has been discussed in other threads and there is a wealth of info floating around here somewhere.

:) thanks for the advice and i will use it well.