Home General Discussion

Found this at a B&M

mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
I paid 4.75 for it. The celo is yellow and has white "dust"-like substance on the inside, which I am told is the "plume" or "bloom" and is not harmful to the stick. Probably try it tonight, but may go back and buy the rest if its any good.imageimage

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Nice find. Imo, the Exodus 1959 ages pretty well, I have a box that is getting on towards 4 years and they were pretty good last time I tried one.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I've never seen plume up close just in pics. I do know plume is extremely rare and most of the time what people call plume is mold. Hope this is not the case here. You can't always count on the guy working the counter actually knowing what he's talking about. Check it out good before putting it in your humi.
    If it is plume count yourself lucky this is supposed to be a very good thing.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Good call, think I'll smoke it tonight. Anything to look for in order to tell the difference from plume or mold during the smoke?
    Rhamlin:
    It's not really good or bad, just a sign that the oils have collected and crystalized on the wrapper. I've seen plume forming on a cigar that was barely 2 years old and have seen 10 year-old cigars with not a hint.
    j0z3r:
    Rhamlin:
    It's not really good or bad, just a sign that the oils have collected and crystalized on the wrapper. I've seen plume forming on a cigar that was barely 2 years old and have seen 10 year-old cigars with not a hint.
    So, anything I should do special before smoking it?
    mmccartneydc:
    j0z3r:
    Rhamlin:
    So, anything I should do special before smoking it?
    If it were me, I'd simply wipe the head of the cigar lightly before cutting just so I wouldn't be getting any plume in my mouth...not sure what it tastes like and I'm not in a hurry to find out. Good luck, let us know how it turned out.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Look at the dust and see if they resemble crystals, almost like sugar crystals,, should see light refract off of them. It usually is indicative of the cigar being stored/aged properly
    The Kid:
    Look at the dust and see if they resemble crystals, almost like sugar crystals,, should see light refract off of them. It usually is indicative of the cigar being stored/aged properly
    Thanks, they do resemble very small crystals. Will there be a different taste/smell if it IS mold?
    Have you examined the cigar with it out of the wrapper???? Really only way to tell.
    I would think it will taste like mold if it is mold but dont know for sure as I havent experienced this,, I heard of guys smoking cigars with suspected blue mold and saying they could taste it but again I have no Idea.. The Torano is a good smoke,, Joz3r kills me as he always has nicely aged cigars,, ;o) I think I have a few exodus bp that are coming up on 2 years,, I really enjoy the exodus 50!!! Good luck and hope its enjoyable!!!!
    The Kid:
    Have you examined the cigar with it out of the wrapper???? Really only way to tell.
    I would think it will taste like mold if it is mold but dont know for sure as I havent experienced this,, I heard of guys smoking cigars with suspected blue mold and saying they could taste it but again I have no Idea.. The Torano is a good smoke,, Joz3r kills me as he always has nicely aged cigars,, ;o) I think I have a few exodus bp that are coming up on 2 years,, I really enjoy the exodus 50!!! Good luck and hope its enjoyable!!!!
    I have not, but as soon as I get home I will. I'll let ya all know how it goes!
    The Kid:
    Sometimes you can smell the mold on the cigar...kinda like how a moldy loaf of bread will smell off...I've noticed this mostly in tubed cigars as the tube is a prefect breeding ground for mold and it can get quite prolific.

I assure you Rudy, the aged cigar thing just kinda happened, call it a product of my hording instinct...that and I've been fortunate enough to come across some nicely aged cigars here and there.
    For what it's worth Matt, I don't think you've got a moldy cigar...true it is a bit difficult to tell from the picture, but how you described it doesn't sound like mold. Mold on cigars, from what I've seen, is typically patchy and /or furry, like cotton candy.
    j0z3r:
    The Kid:
    I assure you Rudy, the aged cigar thing just kinda happened, call it a product of my hording instinct...that and I've been fortunate enough to come across some nicely aged cigars here and there.
    I think its cool as fu k!!!
    Yeah moldy will be fluffy, usually spotty and will wipe away with your finger. Be sure to look at the foot and see if there's any.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    I fell in love with the Exodus Gold a long time ago. Haven't had one in a while but your thread inspired me to spark one up tonight. Mine had about 14-15 months on it and the cello was just slightly yellowing with not sign of plume at all. Makes me think the one you found had some real age on it. Nice find bro!
    Well, first off, I am pretty sure that it was plume. Secondly, it tasted awful. I wiped it down but the exterior of the stick tasted like you just "hot boxed" it. Wiped it down again but still couldn't get that taste out of my mouth. Went and ate a couple strawberries and fired up a different stick. The smoke smelled good and my wife said that she liked the way it smelled, I just couldn't get over the taste on my toungue every time I would puff it. Oh well, worth a try at 4.75. This is what I switched to.image
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Man, I hate to hear that. It looked like you had stumbled onto something really nice. Don't let it ruin the Torano Exodus Gold for you though. I think they're great. The one I had last night had such great cocoa/chocolate flavors, with a little spice, earth and leather. One odd thing, I had some minor burn problems that needed minor touch ups. I've never had even the slightest burn problems with any Torano cigar before last night.
    Heavy:
    Man, I hate to hear that. It looked like you had stumbled onto something really nice. Don't let it ruin the Torano Exodus Gold for you though. I think they're great. The one I had last night had such great cocoa/chocolate flavors, with a little spice, earth and leather. One odd thing, I had some minor burn problems that needed minor touch ups. I've never had even the slightest burn problems with any Torano cigar before last night.
    Oh, I won't let it scar me for long....lol.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Plume is 2D and dusty, Mold is 3D and fluffy. Sorry to hear it wasn't that good
    xmacro:
    Plume is 2D and dusty, Mold is 3D and fluffy. Sorry to hear it wasn't that good
    no worries, like I said, the smoke was good, the burn was good, it just tasted bad. Probably shouldve cleaned it off better.