Home General Discussion

What's similar to the San Lotano Habano?

jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
Had my first SL Habano this weekend and I think I'm in love (lol).....I smoked it Friday afternoon, after a long week at work and drank a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy with it - the experience was nothing short of perfection.
I did my best to take notes and I've tried to figure out exactly what flavors/aromas I picked up but my palate still isn't that refined so I'm not 100% sure what I got from it. But I know I liked it.
I've read some other reviews and tasting notes on the blend, trying to figure out exactly what I tasted so I can look for similar cigars, but I still can't quite figure it out.....

So my question to all you experts is this:
What cigars have similar profiles to this cigar? Looking for anything with similar strength & flavors. I will be getting more SL Habano's somewhere down the road, but in the mean time would like to try some "comparable" blends.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    to be honest, i dont think there are many if any.

AJs blending style is there so you may just want to check out more of his stuff. but as far as something close to it, i am going to say that it is a fairly unique cigar.
    if you buy em as a box here they are fairly in expensive (around $130 a box as of today)
    that reminds me. i need to get more. im down to my last 5 or so.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    kuzi16:

AJs blending style is there so you may just want to check out more of his stuff. but as far as something close to it, i am going to say that it is a fairly unique cigar.
    if you buy em as a box here they are fairly in expensive (around $130 a box as of today)
    Thanks Kuzi - that makes sense.
    I've had a number of AJ sticks and I agree with you, they all seem to have a certain uniqueness to them.

And maybe that's why I like it so much - because it's so unique...i don't know.
    I've liked the other AJ cigars I've smoked (MOWs, 5V AAA, 1844, etc) but this was seriously on a different level and I just can't put my finger on it.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    kuzi16:

Matt is on the money, this is one of the most unique cigars out there.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Nothing identical as it is so unique with the habano brazil wrapper. This one is one of my favorites. I find the man o war ruination has some similar qualities as is my next favorite.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    Alex Svenson:
    Nothing identical as it is so unique with the habano brazil wrapper. This one is one of my favorites. I find the man o war ruination has some similar qualities as is my next favorite.
    +1 I was thinking ruination which is of course AJ's blend, but the SL being a little stronger. Hands down own of my fav smokes.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    scarlin:
    Alex Svenson:
    +1 I was thinking ruination which is of course AJ's blend, but the SL being a little stronger. Hands down own of my fav smokes.
    Thanks guys, haven't tried a ruination yet so I'll have to give that a shot (I've only had the MOW original, virtue, and PA). I'm curious to see how it compares to the SL Habano, but if there's not much else that's really comparable then I guess I'll be ordering a box of the SL sooner than I anticipated.
  • dan8052dan8052 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
    I smoked my first San Lotano this weekend as well. Immediately, I was in love. I found it to be very smooth, unlike any cigar (My first oval cigar) I ever smoked. However, I am a fan of the MOW Ruination and found no comparison at all. My personal opinion is the MOW is a stronger smoke then the SL. I'm waiting for a DD to come along with a SL sampler so I can try all of them.