Home General Discussion

Put off by a Gurkha...what about you?

JZerbyJZerby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 122
My buddy and I were at the B & M Friday morning before work and we noticed that they have started carrying a Gurkha. It was in a glass tube with dripping wax on the end and the 3 sizes they had were displayed in a wooden holder. We didn't even consider it cuz of the tube. The presentation just seemed over the top and little put us off.

Have any of you ever had this happen? Not with a Gurkha necessarily. But has some cigar's presentation just made you NOT want to try it, even if it may be a wonderful smoke?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    JZerby:
    But has some cigar's presentation just made you NOT want to try it, even if it may be a wonderful smoke?
    Just about every cigar that has a silk bootie on the foot. I don't know why, but it just makes me not want to try them.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    0patience:
    JZerby:
    But has some cigar's presentation just made you NOT want to try it, even if it may be a wonderful smoke?
    Just about every cigar that has a silk bootie on the foot. I don't know why, but it just makes me not want to try them.
    Those are Gurkha grand reserves and they are delicious they also dry out very quickly hence why they only come in tubes. Less drastic changes more wiggle room. But yes the rubber wax is a little cheesey but those are great gars/ go back and let one age for 2 months. smoke enjoy. But yes I agree with the silk footie.....yes indeed
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    0patience:
    JZerby:
    will the word "Anejo" change your mind?

i never discount a cigar based on its presentation.
    kuzi16:
    0patience:
    JZerby:

Ok, point taken. LOL!
    I still think it makes them look cheap.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    0patience:
    JZerby:
    Those are Gurkha grand reserves and they are delicious they also dry out very quickly hence why they only come in tubes. Less drastic changes more wiggle room. But yes the rubber wax is a little cheesey but those are great gars/ go back and let one age for 2 months. smoke enjoy. But yes I agree with the silk footie.....yes indeed

Great smoke if you have 2 hrs to enjoy the Churchill, but I do agree on the presentation. K. Hansotia has always been artsy with his presentations, though. The box for the first edition of the Black Dragon had camel bone inlays...
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    kuzi16:
    0patience:
    JZerby:

beat me to it. Most of Fuente's higher end offerings have the silk band. Its funny how different people see things. I see that band and I'm like "ooooh me likey". Its like an instant voice saying " hey Dennis, you need to take me home." On to the Gurkha question. I like some, I don't like others. The Legend, Black Dragon, Park Ave., Regent, and some of the Empire Series are good.
    0patience:
    kuzi16:
    0patience:
    JZerby:

Ok, point taken. LOL!
    I still think it makes them look cheap.
    what cheap cigars have given you the idea that a fabric foot band is a sign of low quality?
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    Honestly I'm glad someone brought this up. Gurkha use to be somewhat of a power house before the cigar boom. Now they have so much damn product out due to the cigar boom, that they have lost a lot of credibility. They also have been accused of producing so much of one line and calling it two different lines. I think Gurkha has bastardized their name and have turned away a lot of fans. I think Rocky Patel is also quilty of this. Don't get me wrong, both brands still produce a few good sticks, I just can't say I'm a fan.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Smokindaddy:
    Honestly I'm glad someone brought this up. Gurkha use to be somewhat of a power house before the cigar boom. Now they have so much damn product out due to the cigar boom, that they have lost a lot of credibility. They also have been accused of producing so much of one line and calling it two different lines. I think Gurkha has bastardized their name and have turned away a lot of fans. I think Rocky Patel is also quilty of this. Don't get me wrong, both brands still produce a few good sticks, I just can't say I'm a fan.
    i wont and cant smoke rocky's far as gurkhas there are 4 blends i keep in my humi always. but ive said in another post you have to dredge through so much product just to find the payoffs.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    The think..the Gurkha feeling starts that way.
    kuzi16:
    what cheap cigars have given you the idea that a fabric foot band is a sign of low quality?
    Dunno. It is just the way I see it. I'm sure at one time there may have been some awful cigar that I ran into that had the band that put me into that mindset.
  • JZerbyJZerby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 122
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    0patience:
    JZerby:

I am totally open to trying it at some point, but our initial reaction was that it was laughable. Especially when everything around it was lying neatly in boxes. It looked out of place.

Another I feel the same way about is Acid. I see those all the time in the discount tobacco place where I buy my cutters sitting right next to Good Days factory Rejects. I know that Acid is nothing like those, but they look a little cheap and so I have been a little iffy on whether or not to actually try one.

The silk booty actually makes me curious. I've never purchased any with one of those, but my eyes are always drawn to them in a positive way.
    JZerby:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    0patience:
    JZerby:

I am totally open to trying it at some point, but our initial reaction was that it was laughable. Especially when everything around it was lying neatly in boxes. It looked out of place.

Another I feel the same way about is Acid. I see those all the time in the discount tobacco place where I buy my cutters sitting right next to Good Days factory Rejects. I know that Acid is nothing like those, but they look a little cheap and so I have been a little iffy on whether or not to actually try one.
    ACID for me is like this opulence 3 amazing kuba kuba amazing Cold tea amazing in the morning only
    One thing this thread has shown. Is that presentation and personal experiences play a large amount in what we decide to purchase and not purchase.

I know there are good cigars out there, that I have personally decided to pass up, because of presentation or brand and it's my loss. Some day, I might even lose that mindset. LOL!
    0patience:
    One thing this thread has shown. Is that presentation and personal experiences play a large amount in what we decide to purchase and not purchase.

I know there are good cigars out there, that I have personally decided to pass up, because of presentation or brand and it's my loss. Some day, I might even lose that mindset. LOL!
    Ditto.

I have also had the opposite happen. I really like how CAO packages their flavored stuff, but I really really dislike flavored cigars. It was the goofy blue metal tube that helped me realize just how much I don't like that kinda thing...
    0patience:

Ditto!

I have also had the opposite thing happen. I love how CAO packages their flavored line, but I really really dislike flavored cigars. It took that goofy looking metal tube to make me realize this...
    I guess best thing is when you see something that looks off putting do your research. I will spend hours in my local b&m because ill see something in there and ill whip out my droid type it on like say ccom or just google. And read some brief reviews or the description offered by ccom and see if its in my profile. If it is despite appearance il l grab 1.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    I guess best thing is when you see something that looks off putting do your research. I will spend hours in my local b&m because ill see something in there and ill whip out my droid type it on like say ccom or just google. And read some brief reviews or the description offered by ccom and see if its in my profile. If it is despite appearance il l grab 1.
    To each his own but researching a cigar has little appeal to me, almost as little as the Gurkha Grand Reserves, they are infused cigars no different than a Maker's Mark or any other. They stole the dipped tubo from Maker's.

Also not quite sure where you heard that tubo's help a cigar from drying out. This is news to me.

Anyways the original point. Appearance means a lot I need a cigar to look appealing to me. When I order a cigar it's off what people have said but when I walk into a B&M it has to stand out to me.
    madurofan:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    To each his own but researching a cigar has little appeal to me, almost as little as the Gurkha Grand Reserves, they are infused cigars no different than a Maker's Mark or any other. They stole the dipped tubo from Maker's.

Also not quite sure where you heard that tubo's help a cigar from drying out. This is news to me.

Anyways the original point. Appearance means a lot I need a cigar to look appealing to me. When I order a cigar it's off what people have said but when I walk into a B&M it has to stand out to me.
    Tubes have a better seal and breath a lot less than celophane keeps the humidity inside the tube and keeps the air out....
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Any cigar marketed at hip hop lifestyle... *cough* swag *cough*

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    stephen_hannibal:
    Any cigar marketed at hip hop lifestyle... *cough* swag *cough*

big +1
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    I'm drawn to the bands, the more elaborate the more i can't resist. Ave Marie, my father, opus x ect...with a few exceptions. Anejos, illusione, and their are others. Anyone else look at the bands?
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    madurofan:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:

Tubes have a better seal and breath a lot less than celophane keeps the humidity inside the tube and keeps the air out....
    I understand your thoughts but they are incorrect. "Humidity" is Relative Humidity and it is much more complex than sealing up a tube. Otherwise everyone would just put thier cigars in a tube and be done with it. Tubes are for presentation, protection, and sometimes for aging(if they put cedar in the tube with the cigar) but not for humidification.
    madurofan:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    madurofan:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:

I understand your thoughts but they are incorrect. "Humidity" is Relative Humidity and it is much more complex than sealing up a tube. Otherwise everyone would just put thier cigars in a tube and be done with it. Tubes are for presentation, protection, and sometimes for aging(if they put cedar in the tube with the cigar) but not for humidification.
    agreed. i would never leave a cigar in a tube out of the humidor for very long. there is no seal on there. there is no way i can be sure. it will keep humidity longer then cellophane but it will not keep it in the long run.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    Gurkha's need bands telling you what they are, not the same logo with different colors. At least A. Fuente marks the brand of some on the cedar or cello.
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    Rail Jockey:
    I'm drawn to the bands, the more elaborate the more i can't resist. Ave Marie, my father, opus x ect...with a few exceptions. Anejos, illusione, and their are others. Anyone else look at the bands?
    all the time!!! I love band art i have kept every band from every cigar i have smoke in the hopes of making a table top out of them.
    I keep the fancy bands that I like. Some day I will do the top of my bar with them in a layer of acrylic.
    scarlin:
    Gurkha's need bands telling you what they are, not the same logo with different colors. At least A. Fuente marks the brand of some on the cedar or cello.
    yup. i agree. i have a few (very few) gurkhas that are in my humidor and i have no idea what they are. heck... id even review them if i could figure it out. there are so many blends right now that they are reusing the color schemes so they may not be what i think they may be.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I like the kinda simple looking bands, like Tat stuff or the Liga privada's. I dislike portrait or scenery cigar band art, I don't know why.. like the black Pearl portrait of the lady really turns me off. I have tried a few though, and they were fine. I cant say that presentation has ever totally controlled my purchase decision.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    I gravitate towards simplcity. So if a band is big and over the top or the box is made to look like its 100 years old or some ancient treasure box, my desire to smoke it plummets. The simpler the better in my book. Tatuaje's regular lines all represent that perfectly, from the box to the band. They have the look that says, I'm so good, I don't need to stand out, you'll find me. And I like that.