Home General Discussion

torpedo cuts

aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
I have found that when I smoke a torpedo I make a somehwat unique cut (at least in my smoking circle) I make almost a chisel cut. I start at about an 1/8 of an inch in and cut at about a 45* angle. I've found the smoke and burn to be 10 times improved. Somuch so 4 of my smoking buddies have started doing this cut and have noticed drastic improvements. Has anyone else here used a cut like this on torpedos or does anyone here have any other "unique" cuts they'd like to share. Doesn't even have to be a torpedo just in general if you don't smoke a lot of torps. Thanks for the feedback!

Comments

• aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    I can provide a pictureif needed for visual reference
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    I do this to it makes it so when you inhale the smoke is directed towards your tongue.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Imgembo:
    I do this to it makes it so when you inhale the smoke is directed towards your tongue.
    That's exactly what my idea was when I started doing it. Turned out it worked and then also the benefit of better draw and burn.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    i'll have to try that! thanks for the info.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    You guys have to cut yours?
    Direwolf:
    You guys have to cut yours?
    I find that if I don't I end up with burn problems. This way I cut em they smoke ten fold beter than a regular gar for me anyway
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I will definitely try this! I'd like a pic if it isn't a hassel. Just so I don't butcher mg next cigar. I do think that I understand what you're doing though.
    Gray4lines:
    I will definitely try this! I'd like a pic if it isn't a hassel. Just so I don't butcher mg next cigar. I do think that I understand what you're doing though.
    Will try and get one up tonight I plan on smoking one of my 5 vegas classic torps after dinner so give me a couple hours
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I'm lame. I just cut normally and I can even screw that up!
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    I have found that when I smoke a torpedo I make a somehwat unique cut (at least in my smoking circle) I make almost a chisel cut. I start at about an 1/8 of an inch in and cut at about a 45* angle. I've found the smoke and burn to be 10 times improved. Somuch so 4 of my smoking buddies have started doing this cut and have noticed drastic improvements. Has anyone else here used a cut like this on torpedos or does anyone here have any other "unique" cuts they'd like to share. Doesn't even have to be a torpedo just in general if you don't smoke a lot of torps. Thanks for the feedback!

I just tried this and it seems to be working just fine. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I actually just tried it on a MOW virtue, perfecto. It was hard to gauge the draw at first, but once it got going, it was great! I will do this on torps from now on, thanks for the tip!
    Hey you guys are welcome! Anything I can do to help out!
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    jlmarta:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:

I just tried this and it seems to be working just fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

An update to this response.... You mentioned that the cut directed the smoke toward the tongue which is good, I suppose, but I've learned that it also encourages me to touch the tip of my tongue to the cut portion which, obviously, moistens it. If there's anything I can't abide, it's a wet ended cigar. To me, it's just disgusting. On the plus side, though, I've learned that if I rotate the stick so that the cut faces upward it helps keep me from 'tonguing' the cut which is good. So, I'll continue cutting my torps the way you suggest but I'll forego the benefit of the downward smoke flow. I can live with that. Thanks again for the suggestion.....
    Hey whatever works. I guess it all has to do with where you put it in your mouth. As I like to chew on mine a bit the wetness does not matter to me. Personal preference is a funny thing ain't it? Glad I could hep though!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    This is how I've cut torps since I first read of it about 6 months ago. Big fan of it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    heard of this a long time ago but i never liked that cut. just not for me i guess.
    Agreed. I hadn't seen any posts about it on here. I realize some may have read a lot more than I but any knowledge is valuable lol. But so much for being unique I reckon lol
    kuzi16:
    heard of this a long time ago but i never liked that cut. just not for me i guess.
    ya I've found that cuts can be as specific to people as their palates
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Decided to give this a shot earlier this evening with an Anejo torp and the draw was in fact sublime. More research is definitely required! Thanks for the tip man!

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    kuzi16:
    ya I've found that cuts can be as specific to people as their palates
    oh, i agree that you can end up with a better draw and more smoke on the palate, however, my issue is the way it feels in my mouth and my smoking style.

when i smoke i take my puff and rotate the cigar in my hands a little. this keeps what part is "on top" constantly changing. this helps keep the burn even.

i dont want to have to re-rotate to have that specific cut facing my palate when i puff.
  • bobojobobojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
    I haven't tried it, but this is the infamous "Dickman cut", named after the former Fuente/Newman rep who championed it. From what I've read, the cut is actually supposed to direct the smoke to the roof of the mouth (the literal "palate") rather than the tongue.

I agree with Kuzi in that I prefer to rotate the cigar to keep the burn even, so I just do the standard vertical cut. Maybe I'm missing out on something? ;)
    this is a little bit of a bulkier cut but given this wasnt a true torpedo it worked well some people were saying they wanted a visual aid soPhotobucket