Home General Discussion

Cigar snobs?

0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
I came across a place that had a comment about hating it when people don't know how to smoke or light a cigar.
They made comments like, "I saw this person lighting his cigar wrong and I was pissed."
What? If the person seems to be doing it wrong, wouldn't be more productive to offer some advice on doing it properly, then getting pissed about it?
And I'm a bit perplexed about the doing it wrong part. Were they lighting the wrong end?

Seriously though, is there people out there that have so much time on their hands that they are so concerned about how someone else is doing something, that it "affects" them?

Makes no sense to me. If someone seems to be having a bit of a problem with a cigar, lighting it, smoking it or what ever, I may offer up some advice, but it is their cigar, if they want to bite the end off of it and smoke it, then that is up to them.

Ok, that's my bit of a rant.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Precisely why I hang here. I had lurked for months before I jumped on these forums. It happens everywhere... Azzholes and angry people will always be just that....so I don't waste my time with smoking at those places, but I do enjoy clowning them...
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Unless they are lighting the wrong end like you stated or doing something obviously for the first time, I don't bother worrying about it. I do watch others and their techniques and have picked up some good habits, especially cutting. But no way would I get pissed, ever. The fact that I'm around people who enjoy cigars is good enough for me. Maybe I'm too simplisitic in what I enjoy? Bottom line, eff poeple that get uptight at other people who do things differently like that. Especially when it doesn't affect them at all.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    catfishbluezz:
    Precisely why I hang here. I had lurked for months before I jumped on these forums. It happens everywhere... Azzholes and angry people will always be just that....so I don't waste my time with smoking at those places, but I do enjoy clowning them...
    I agree. In all of the posts that I have read in these forums, I haven't seen the "talking down" connotations that are often seen in other forums, which by the way I must add, have moderators. LOL!
    Just wait till cubans become legal and all the dbags will be paying out the aZz for them and acting like fools
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    It pisses me off when I gift someone a good cigar, they light it up, then put it out 10 min later; they ain't getting anything but a dog rocket off me from then on

Other than that, if it's their own cigar that they bought, who cares how they smoke it?

catfishbluezz:
    Just wait till cubans become legal and all the dbags will be paying out the aZz for them and acting like fools
    I dunno, there are a few cubans that DD has introduced me to that I'd pay out the ass for again

X...I am reffering to the generally snobbery of a bunch of uneducated smokers who will start buying them just because they are CC's if and when they become legal. My guess is it will take a few Years after the fact to weed them out. I'll pay good money for a smoke regardless...just haven't bit the behike bullet yet.
    james40:
    Unless they are lighting the wrong end like you stated or doing something obviously for the first time, I don't bother worrying about it. I do watch others and their techniques and have picked up some good habits, especially cutting. But no way would I get pissed, ever. The fact that I'm around people who enjoy cigars is good enough for me. Maybe I'm too simplisitic in what I enjoy? Bottom line, eff poeple that get uptight at other people who do things differently like that. Especially when it doesn't affect them at all.
    I don't think it is because you are too simplistic in what you enjoy, but more because some folks over complicate the process of enjoying something.

In all of the time that I have been enjoying cigars, my personal conclusion is that there really is no absolute right way or wrong way (well, with exceptions of course. LOL!) to enjoy your cigar.

We all know that there is so much personal preference in the way we smoke cigars.

I'm not a fan of light Connecticut, but that doesn't mean that people who enjoy them are wrong, it just means that their palate is more refined than mine and that is what they enjoy. I like my cameroons, but that is where my preferences are.
    xmacro:
    It pisses me off when I gift someone a good cigar, they light it up, then put it out 10 min later; they ain't getting anything but a dog rocket off me from then on

Other than that, if it's their own cigar that they bought, who cares how they smoke it?

catfishbluezz:
    I dunno, there are a few cubans that DD has introduced me to that I'd pay out the ass for again

I have to agree with you on that one. If the cigar was gifted and the person is present, it is only good form to smoke the cigar. That is an entirely different aspect of it. : )
    catfishbluezz:
    X...I am reffering to the generally snobbery of a bunch of uneducated smokers who will start buying them just because they are CC's if and when they become legal. My guess is it will take a few Years after the fact to weed them out. I'll pay good money for a smoke regardless...just haven't bit the behike bullet yet.
    lol, I get ya, I was just giving you a hard time ;)
    xmacro:
    catfishbluezz:
    Nope...you offended me...know you have to bomb me with a behike!
    catfishbluezz:
    xmacro:
    catfishbluezz:
    Sure . . . say, I don't suppose you like grape-flavored behikes, do ya? Maybe vanilla or cherry flavored ones? Don't suppose you really need a band on them when you get them, right?
    xmacro:
    catfishbluezz:
    xmacro:
    catfishbluezz:
    Sure . . . say, I don't suppose you like grape-flavored behikes, do ya? Maybe vanilla or cherry flavored ones? Don't suppose you really need a band on them when you get them, right?
    Given what just happened to me on another forum...unbanded is kind of a bad joke lol. Personally I like peach b$tch...and a wood tip damnit! Dont be sending me no hologram embossed sh$t
    catfishbluezz:
    xmacro:
    catfishbluezz:
    xmacro:
    catfishbluezz:
    Given what just happened to me on another forum...unbanded is kind of a bad joke lol. Personally I like peach b$tch...and a wood tip damnit! Dont be sending me no hologram embossed sh$t
    ROFL!! Got it :)
    catfishbluezz:
    I got to thinking about your comment catfish and it's funny that you mention the lurking. I've been to many cigar forums and rarely participate in the forums. Until this one.

For some reason, this forum is "comfortable". I don't feel "gunshy" about posting something.
    Thanks to everyone for that.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
  • leerescue@yahoo.comleerescue@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    0patience:
    catfishbluezz:
    I got to thinking about your comment catfish and it's funny that you mention the lurking. I've been to many cigar forums and rarely participate in the forums. Until this one.

For some reason, this forum is "comfortable". I don't feel "gunshy" about posting something.
    Thanks to everyone for that.
    :) I have learned from this forum that we are SOTL and we need to be positive and teach others and not be disrespectful just my thoughts.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    0, I totally agree with your view on snobs.. I have a couple friends that just picked up smoking cigars after I turned them on to it. Needless to say they were clueless on how to cut light and smoke em. I offered my advice on what works for me, but I let them do it their own way as well. One of em loves to smoke super quick! Like 3 cigars in the time I take for one, but that's cool with me!

I just didn't ever want to sound like a snob or cigar know-it-all. If someone gets enjoyment from smoking the "wrong" way, then good for them. Helpful advice that they may take or leave is one thing, but saying "this is how to do it," or "do this, this and this" is another. As long its it's relaxing or enjoyable, go with it! No sense in forcing someone to do it your way or get pissed when they don't!