Home General Discussion

Palate Burnout?

ndhaon91ndhaon91 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
I'm really hoping I have palate burnout, because the alternative is that something in my coollidor (which I can only imagine being several Ave Maria Reconquista coffins or my 100 ct. cherry humidor) is altering the taste of my cigars. Several of the cigars I've smoked in the last few days have basically tasted the same: salty, smooth (in a kind of flat way), with very little complexity. I didn't really notice it until tonight when I smoked an Alec Bradley Family Blend churchill and got basically nothing out of it. Does this sound like palate burnout? For the record, I've been good for 2-3 sticks a day consistently for the last month. Would you recommend I remove the Ave Maria Coffins and/or cherry humidor regardless? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    I would suggest you send me the ave maries and i will test them for you, and make sure they are smoakable or not it may take a few to be accurate.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Sounds like you may be getting sick, or have allergies.
  • Bucking WBucking W Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    I've had palate fatigue after being on hunting trips or golfing where I smoke non stop usually smoking strong cigars. I've found that if I haven't smoked cigars for a couple of days, they tend to taste better - especially that first one. I usually will get a bitter taste after awhile smoking numerous cigars in a days time. Give yourself a break a couple of days and see what happens.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    the coffins are cedar i dont see them making a difference ive hd 2 in mine for..eh 2 months? and not noticed anything. far ass palate burn out ive noticed if i smoke 2-3 fuller cigars in a day everything tastes like the last one ive smoked the rest of the night (food, water everything). BUT I have found a great way to cleanse the palate, eat some citrus fruit. Oranges etc. The citric acid actually cleanses your palate then just give yourself some time to recoup and you should be good. Worth a shot. If that doesnt help... then its gotta be the cherry wood humidor. best of luck
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Take a break and you will be fine. I can barely muster a couple days, but it makes a huge difference. You will know when...sounds like now is the time and there is no need to waste them
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    One of my BoTL from New Jersey just went through the "Dead Palate Syndrome". He has quite a bit of money and time invested in his cigar collection and was really worried. Turned out he had some funky sinus thing going on. He's fine now and at Cigar Fest.
    Just take a short break and hopefully your palate revives itself.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    I destroyed my palate the other day when I had 4 cigars in a row. Couldn't really taste anything for the rest of the night, and part of the next morning.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    are most of the cigars you smoke nicaraguan? If so, try smoking something that has no nicaraguan tobacco in it at all. LFD, Davidoff, Fuente, etc...
    maybe you just need a change of pace.

2-3 a day is quite a bit for a palate. everyone burns out their palate at a different rate.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    You simply need a break from smoking. If you can't take a break then eat some dark chocolate and club soda. it helps clean the palate. Sometime it doesn't help either if you smoke too many strong cigar. Sometime it is not the palate, it is your body which is trying to say that you do not need nicotine now.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Take a week off, should be ok after
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    One thing I could add is regarding toothpaste and mouthwash. Some of them can affect taste. Look for zinc in it as that is a common ingredient that can affect someone's taste all day. If you haven't changed brands recently probably not a problem though.
  • SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
    ndhaon91:
    I'm really hoping I have palate burnout, because the alternative is that something in my coollidor (which I can only imagine being several Ave Maria Reconquista coffins or my 100 ct. cherry humidor) is altering the taste of my cigars. Several of the cigars I've smoked in the last few days have basically tasted the same: salty, smooth (in a kind of flat way), with very little complexity. I didn't really notice it until tonight when I smoked an Alec Bradley Family Blend churchill and got basically nothing out of it. Does this sound like palate burnout? For the record, I've been good for 2-3 sticks a day consistently for the last month. Would you recommend I remove the Ave Maria Coffins and/or cherry humidor regardless? Thanks for any advice.
    I would highly recommend taking the AMRs out of their coffins and putting the coffins either in the trash or on a shelf somewhere. The AMRs I received, I didn't notice at first, but a couple of days later the inside of my humi had such a strong bad smell of wood varnish....took out a coffin smelled it, and immediately took all the AMRs out of the coffins, threw the coffins away, aired out my humi for a couple of days, stored my cigars in bags, then put them back in the humi. All seems well again