Home General Discussion

My Palate and My Thoughts

2»

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    That's how I look at it Dennis. I don't have special occasion sticks, anything and everything is up for grabs when I want a cigar. There are certain sticks that are set aside for aging, but once they get where I want them it's on like Donkey Kong.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    dennisking:
    To be honest, I won't hesitate to kill a high end stick on a normal occasion anymore. I would rather go for a great overall experience than something lackluster. I didn't used to be that way until last Christmas when I had some high end Fuentes and said "screw it".
    +snoob
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    I'd like to think that some experiences with a cigar are kind of based on what you pair them with, didn't read the entire thread so sorry if someone covered this. I used to smoke CAO Brazilla's and drink chocolate milk on almost a daily basis, especially when I was playing Magic with a dear friend. One day I had the same stick without the chocolate milk and found it to just be, well boring. Sure strength plays into what most of us may or may not pick for a smoke, oddly enough I can smoke strong sticks all day. Even tried a Punisher when they first came out, first thing in the morning to see if it made me sick. It did not. Sad to say I was kind of disappointed, tho they do mellow out wonderfully after about 9 months. Kinda like Joe and Matt I no longer have "special occasion" sticks, just find it hard to want to burn some like the AVO LE 05 (or 04 can't remember offhand). I know most of this post is kinda on subject and kinda of rambling, but I would agree with the dude that ran the B&M I've mainly been smoking MOW and Liga Privada because, like that guy, why smoke something you might not enjoy? Now if I could find a cigar that goes well with a Vodka Martini....
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Wow, a lot has been said. I have to go back a page to address some of these. Thanks for all the response. I'm just pouring out my thoughts a little. I really appreciate the conversations that are evolving here.
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    This whole thread is an amazing read! The palate seems to be a hard thing to pin down, always evolving. Not only that but then you have to factor in age on the cigar and it's almost impossible to say whats changing and how. I believe I read somewhere that your diet effects your preception of flavor, such as increased sodium or spicy foods which is another factor to account for.

I tend to agree alot with spencer as far as pairing making alot of difference in the cigar. For me I need something carbonated and slightly sweet most of the time, gingerale is one of my favorites as is fresca. If i'm in the mood for beer it has to be miller lite, I love so many types of beer but I find that if I get an interesting beer going along with my cigar I tend to pay more attention to one or the other and they both get muddled.

When I'm buying cigars I don't hesitate to buy a box of anything, It's nice to be able to see how they progress with age, kind of like rick does with 5 packs. I also really enjoy chasing the HTFs it's kind of like a hobby within the hobby for me, plus they tend to hold their value pretty well so if you get something you don't like chances are some out there is willing to get your money back to you.

QUIT SMOKING!!!! Holy moses this is the best advice I can give to anyone trying to develope their palate is leave those cigarettes at the store. I've been cigarette free for about 10 days now, the difference is insane. The subtle nuances I used to get from a stick are already starting to really reach out and grab me. I got nic sick for the first time last night off a little monsters frank, had to pitch it with a third left. Which leads me to believe that I may be able to enjoy milds now. I am very excited to see how things develope as my palate heals from the 15 years of abuse I've put it through. Oh yeah plus there's that little deal of living to see grandkids and such!

Great thread you've started here Rick! A topic we talk about everyday just in a much less direct fashion.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    dennisking:
    To be honest, I won't hesitate to kill a high end stick on a normal occasion anymore. I would rather go for a great overall experience than something lackluster.
    i agree with this 100%
    i dont get to smoke every day.
    sometimes there are weeks where i smoke maybe one if im lucky. why would i want it to be anything short of great? I only buy what i like. everything else gets here via trade, bomb, pass, etc.
    i will not hesitate to break out a $15 stick on a random tuesday if thats what looks good to me that day. as of late, i have been trying to smoke the cigars in my humidor that i have not had before so i can review them. i just have so many of them that i dont know where to start.
    wwestern:
    The palate seems to be a hard thing to pin down, always evolving.
    truer words were never spoken. this is one reason why i am a perpetual newbie.
    wwestern:
    Not only that but then you have to factor in age on the cigar and it's almost impossible to say whats changing and how.
    yes and no.
    you can generalize.
    almost always it trends smoother.
    almost always it trends away from spice.
    almost always it loses some power.
    sometimes the age is actually marrying of essential oils. that is a different ballgame. i mean, how is dominican ligero going to marry with nicaraguan viso?
    i sure dont. especially after you take into account what seed they are, how each is grown, harvested, cured, fermented, aged, proportions within the bunch, location within the bunch, and age after its rolled.
    i mean, this is why there are so few master blenders in the world.
    wwestern:
    I believe I read somewhere that your diet effects your preception of flavor, such as increased sodium or spicy foods which is another factor to account for.
    yup. so does hydration, ph in your mouth vs ph of the cigar, what you are recently, when in the day you brush your teeth and countless other things.
    wwestern:

I tend to agree alot with spencer as far as pairing making alot of difference in the cigar. For me I need something carbonated and slightly sweet most of the time, gingerale is one of my favorites as is fresca. If i'm in the mood for beer it has to be miller lite, I love so many types of beer but I find that if I get an interesting beer going along with my cigar I tend to pay more attention to one or the other and they both get muddled.

pairings are huge. i usually dont pai with anything but water. i want a cigar to stand on its own. on a rare occasion ill have a coca cola (not pepsi). and on an even rarer occasion ill have a beer.
    however i have had the same problem with beer and cigar pairings. recently i have found a beer that i like to pair with a cigar: avery white rascal.
    light and slightly sweet. it is one of the few beers i enjoy that dont overpower the smoke.
    wwestern:
    QUIT SMOKING!!!! Holy moses this is the best advice I can give to anyone trying to develope their palate is leave those cigarettes at the store. I've been cigarette free for about 10 days now, the difference is insane. The subtle nuances I used to get from a stick are already starting to really reach out and grab me. I got nic sick for the first time last night off a little monsters frank, had to pitch it with a third left. Which leads me to believe that I may be able to enjoy milds now. I am very excited to see how things develope as my palate heals from the 15 years of abuse I've put it through. Oh yeah plus there's that little deal of living to see grandkids and such!

nothing to add t here. just agree with it all and wanted to make sure people read it.