Home General Discussion

organically grown fillers?

0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
"Verdadero Organic is an excellent cigar consisting of 100% organically grown fillers"

Aren't they all organic?

Comments

• ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    ha! one would think. I have often wonder this my self every time i see the verddadero pop up on the sprint. Maybe they grow them with out insecticide?
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    0patience:
    "Verdadero Organic is an excellent cigar consisting of 100% organically grown fillers"

Aren't they all organic?
    I'm very interested in trying one of these, definitely gonna add one to the next order. Glad to hear some positive feedback on it, thanks!
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Very difficult to comment. I visited Placencia and they told me the same. The fact is, tobacco plants are prone to many diseases. Organic farming is Placencia jr. Project. However, I find them flat.
    0patience:

Aren't they all organic?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    rzaman:
    Very difficult to comment. I visited Placencia and they told me the same. The fact is, tobacco plants are prone to many diseases. Organic farming is Placencia jr. Project. However, I find them flat.
    0patience:

Aren't they all organic?
    i believe that you two are talking about different cigars. Verdadero Organic is made by Silvio Reys and of course the Plasencia Organica Nesticos belong to Plasencia. the Verdadero Organic is "organically grown." this means that the methods used to grow the tobacco are organic in style. getting the certification is a very different thing.
    When i discussed this with Plasencia Jr himself, hew was working on having the certification. the criteria to be certified "organic" is very difficult. Nestor Plasencia Jr has a degree in Agricultural Engineering and that knowledge was indispensable when working to get the certification.

not all cigas are organic. most are not. they are "natural" but not organic. fungicides, pesticides, and chemical fertilizers are commonplace in the cigar industry.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    mmccartneydc:
    0patience:

Aren't they all organic?
    I'm very interested in trying one of these, definitely gonna add one to the next order. Glad to hear some positive feedback on it, thanks!
    It's one of my favorite mild sticks. They age very well. The last one I smoked had this very distinct creamy/salty component that I finally figured out was a dead ringer for buttered popcorn.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    ndhaon91:
    mmccartneydc:
    0patience:

Aren't they all organic?
    It's one of my favorite mild sticks. They age very well. The last one I smoked had this very distinct creamy/salty component that I finally figured out was a dead ringer for buttered popcorn.
    Now I really want to try them. They don't have 'em at my B&M so looks like I have one more to add to the June CCOM order LOL
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    You are right Kuzi we are talking about two different brands. I was talking about the organic farming and Nestor Jr. he Is the pioneer of the organic idea. The point is, it is hard to grow tobacco plant without any pesticide. I am just not sure if it is another marketing strategy or a personal small project. However, the cigars taste different and interesting but flat. I will post a picture of both cigars. there are two other firms also working on organic cigars in Nicaragua, one in Mombacho and another Jalapa. I asked this question to Jeorge Padron once and he just smiled and said no comment. i.
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:
    0patience:

Aren't they all organic?
    i believe that you two are talking about different cigars. Verdadero Organic is made by Silvio Reys and of course the Plasencia Organica Nesticos belong to Plasencia. the Verdadero Organic is "organically grown." this means that the methods used to grow the tobacco are organic in style. getting the certification is a very different thing.
    When i discussed this with Plasencia Jr himself, hew was working on having the certification. the criteria to be certified "organic" is very difficult. Nestor Plasencia Jr has a degree in Agricultural Engineering and that knowledge was indispensable when working to get the certification.

not all cigas are organic. most are not. they are "natural" but not organic. fungicides, pesticides, and chemical fertilizers are commonplace in the cigar industry.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    rzaman:
    You are right Kuzi we are talking about two different brands. I was talking about the organic farming and Nestor Jr. he Is the pioneer of the organic idea. The point is, it is hard to grow tobacco plant without any pesticide. I am just not sure if it is another marketing strategy or a personal small project. However, the cigars taste different and interesting but flat. I will post a picture of both cigars. there are two other firms also working on organic cigars in Nicaragua, one in Mombacho and another Jalapa. I asked this question to Jeorge Padron once and he just smiled and said no comment.
    ive had both actually. Nestor Plasencia handed me one in person when i went to his factory. its an decent smoke but youa re right, little complexity and no "wow" factor. its not bad, im just not rushing out to buy a box.
  • BeernfritosBeernfritos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 57
    I was wondering about this, too. Good info gents, looks like I'll have to pick some up as well.