Home General Discussion

wife, girlfriend or significant other support your hobby?

Comments

• These Filthy HandsThese Filthy Hands Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 455
    I fell out of the cigar loop for a little while. I want to get back into the hobby and, I was talking about it with my girlfriend and, found out that she fully supports me in getting back into it. I'd say that I'm pretty lucky as well. I think that we all have supportive significant others in our endeavors.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    These Filthy Hands:
    I fell out of the cigar loop for a little while. I want to get back into the hobby and, I was talking about it with my girlfriend and, found out that she fully supports me in getting back into it. I'd say that I'm pretty lucky as well. I think that we all have supportive significant others in our endeavors.
    Whoa there, 443 posts in almost 4 and a half years? Slow down, man! Just kidding, welcome...back, it appears?
  • These Filthy HandsThese Filthy Hands Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 455
    Ken Light:
    These Filthy Hands:
    Whoa there, 443 posts in almost 4 and a half years? Slow down, man! Just kidding, welcome...back, it appears?
    Yeah, I'm burning up the boulevard! Thanks for the welcome back! I drop in and out. I've been gone for probably two years now.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    My fiance is very supportive of my cigar smoking hobby, and she always encourages me to have one when the mood strikes me.
  • pixistixpixistix Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3
    My boyfriend smokes cigars, I smoke cigars, my mom smokes cigars (I know there is a joke there somewhere...) So yes, we support each other's hobbies.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    Just getting into the hobby and she was the one who ordered the humidor so i guess i would consider her supporting.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I never asked.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    sigh..... nope.

Aj
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    These Filthy Hands:
    Ken Light:
    These Filthy Hands:
    Yeah, I'm burning up the boulevard! Thanks for the welcome back! I drop in and out. I've been gone for probably two years now.
    At this rate, we'll see him again in...ohhh... 2016?
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    My soon to be fiancé is okay with it. She's yet to buy me any cigars and thinks I have too many sometimes but generally doesn't say much if I buy more. In fact she actually talked me in to buying one a couple of weeks ago. She also said she is willing to try one but hasn't yet.
  • flowbeeflowbee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    0patience:
    Yep, bored again.

So does your wife or girlfriend support your hobby?

Tonight my wife came home with a few cigars from the cigar shop and tells me I got $200+shipping to spend on cigars. I almost wet myself. LOL!

She got some unexpected money and decided that I needed to re-supply. Gotta love her.
    You are now my new GOD!!!!
    If I give you my cell, will you have your wife call mine??
    Please?
    Can I call you Dadddy?
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 444
    No, she is completely against it. My gf is in dental school and constantly talks about how bad cigars are for you.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Aj, were you just a tad bit bored?
    You really had to dig deep to find that thread. I'd forgotten all about that thread. LOL
    no actually i was upset.

I got my order lastnight from ccom for some baddly needed ammunition for some plotted attacks that me and Walt have been working on. My wife pretty much ruined my enjoyment factor pretty good with a fit about my obsession with the hobby and the cost associated with it.

Ive tried very very hard to get her to become more active in the hobby (shes a long time Marlboro girl) and enjoy it with me... So we could enjoy it together. We were both heavy cigarette smokers for years, and when I quit... I missed the time smoking together, Thus I plunged hand and foot into the world of cigars and pipes. I had hoped we could rekindle the together time in a new hobby, one where we could spend valuable time together and really have something to talk about other then facebook or cars. No pressure to quit cigarettes on her behalf - just I wanted a together thing... and it seems its not really working to well... just depresses me. I want to enjoy a hobby together and i cant find a single one that we can... it just tempts me to uproot my whole humi and go back to cigarettes.

I suppose im being sensitive..... maybe being a baby about it... I just never really considered this a "My" thing.... but an "Our" thing... and after the argument... I guess I feel like i could have bought alot of really nice shiney new car parts.... or found the bottom of a bottle at some swanky hole in the wall.

Im sorry if I stirred up old stuff.... I just... was hurt.

Aj
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Stick with it AJ. If it's hard, it's worth the fight :)
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    Sorry you had such a bad day brother.thank you for sharing with us.I agree with rain just stick with it.were here for you .
    Rain:
    Stick with it AJ. If it's hard, it's worth the fight :)
    Oh no! dont say hard! Walts gonna show up soon!

but really, I know not to quit like a puss.... just well.... you know... women... they poke between the ribs cause they like to see us squirm sometimes.

twistedstem:
    Sorry you had such a bad day brother.thank you for sharing with us.I agree with rain just stick with it.were here for you .
    I wouldnt say a bad day.... lord knows things could always be worse... but it was just like a kick to the nuts to hear what i was hearing.... like its come this far and now your mad? sheesh.... gimme a break will ya?
    lucky for me... I had a nice Kristoff Criollo hidden in my desk jar... I feel better...

Aj
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    Aj, sorry to hear about that, Keep at it brother you will find something sooner or later, my wife and I both smoked and quit a few years ago (see 10+ years ago), I started going to a B&M back in mid 09 after I got hurt and had nothing to do, around Oct/Nov 2013 I decided to start having them at home to enjoy in the back yard and garage, at first my wife Hated it (smell was her only issue though) someone gave me a mixed bag cigar gift for Christmas and there was a few Drew Estates Kuba's and Dirt's in it, before New years I lit one up out the side yard tinkering, and apparently my wife had the kitchen window open because the next thing I knew she was at the garage side door asking me what I was smoking, I thought OK here comes the (smell is getting in the house speech again) but no, she actually asked if she could try it, she Loved it and has been having a cigar every day with me now (but it has to be a flavored/infused cigar) she now has her own cooler and we enjoy 1-2 hours everyday together (have been 1-2 times something came up and one of us was gone all day) but it has been nice. Only trouble now is when ever I am looking at ordering something she gives me the stink eye if she notices there not "Her" cigars lol
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    My wife has never said anything about my cigar, ummm, "hobby". It's never a money thing because in an average month she spends more on hair and nails and stuff I consider a waste of money than I would on cigars. We each keep what we consider within our budget for whatever we want, so whatever makes each of us happy works both ways. She has bought me cigars for Christmas, or Birthdays, but that's like me trying to buy her a pair of shoes... I would not get it right. And we have been married twenty-five years. We don't argue about this sort of thing.
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    honorknight7:
    Aj, sorry to hear about that, Keep at it brother you will find something sooner or later, my wife and I both smoked and quit a few years ago (see 10+ years ago), I started going to a B&M back in mid 09 after I got hurt and had nothing to do, around Oct/Nov 2013 I decided to start having them at home to enjoy in the back yard and garage, at first my wife Hated it (smell was her only issue though) someone gave me a mixed bag cigar gift for Christmas and there was a few Drew Estates Kuba's and Dirt's in it, before New years I lit one up out the side yard tinkering, and apparently my wife had the kitchen window open because the next thing I knew she was at the garage side door asking me what I was smoking, I thought OK here comes the (smell is getting in the house speech again) but no, she actually asked if she could try it, she Loved it and has been having a cigar every day with me now (but it has to be a flavored/infused cigar) she now has her own cooler and we enjoy 1-2 hours everyday together (have been 1-2 times something came up and one of us was gone all day) but it has been nice. Only trouble now is when ever I am looking at ordering something she gives me the stink eye if she notices there not "Her" cigars lol
    I've been trying to get my wife to try one, maybe I ought-a go get her an infused one to try. Besides the smell she's fine with my hobby. She does look at me crazy when I get four packages a week from ccom though. Now I just ship to my office lol.
  • EoLEoL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 178
    My girlfriend would definitely not support this... Nor do my parents...
    It makes it sorta complicated.
    Considering it means hiding it...
    I am ganna try not hiding it next time she is here..
    so we will see..

hiding was the wrong word... please read my next post lol
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    EoL:
    so we will see..
    Right off, hiding anything is not a good way to gain acceptance. A bad approach for many reasons. This may not have a good result.
    kaspera79:
    EoL:
    so we will see..
    Right off, hiding anything is not a good way to gain acceptance. A bad approach for many reasons. This may not have a good result.
    hiding was the wrong word...
    I have actually told her I have smoked recently. I just don't talk about it. I have not hidden anything actually. If she asks I would tell her. Sorry for poor choice of words. :/
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    EoL:
    kaspera79:
    EoL:
    so we will see..
    I have actually told her I have smoked recently. I just don't talk about it. I have not hidden anything actually. If she asks I would tell her. Sorry for poor choice of words. :/
    My wife and kids know and are supportive,actually even smoke with me on occasion.sister in law knows her husband smokes too.but my wife's parents are big anti smoke people so I don't talk about it or smoke when they are around.so its a bummer sometimes around the holidays cause we do a lot of family stuff(which is awesome) but I don't get any cigar time in.
    twistedstem:
    EoL:
    kaspera79:
    EoL:
    so we will see..
    My wife and kids know and are supportive,actually even smoke with me on occasion.sister in law knows her husband smokes too.but my wife's parents are big anti smoke people so I don't talk about it or smoke when they are around.so its a bummer sometimes around the holidays cause we do a lot of family stuff(which is awesome) but I don't get any cigar time in.
    yeah... I wish people were more supportive about it. Not much you can do. My parents will warm up eventually.. my gf doesn't like smoking at all.. so we will see about that.... lol. anyone have any suggestions? She knows I partake.. just hasn't been in town to see my collection growing. lol
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    Woman I dated for a little while this past fall was pretty hypocritical about it. She didn't particularly like me smoking cigars and gave me some grief about it if I smelled like smoke at bed time. However, she thought it was perfectly okay to get baked with her friends, or have cigarettes when she was out with her friends and come over with those smells on her. But that was really the least of our conflicts. :)
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    EoL:
    twistedstem:
    EoL:
    kaspera79:
    EoL:
    so we will see..
    yeah... I wish people were more supportive about it. Not much you can do. My parents will warm up eventually.. my gf doesn't like smoking at all.. so we will see about that.... lol. anyone have any suggestions? She knows I partake.. just hasn't been in town to see my collection growing. lol
    That reminds me of one time we had a family gathering.
    I lit up a cigar, like I normally do at those events and kind of wandered off to the side a bit and my step monster made a comment that not everyone likes to smell cigar smoke.
    My reply. Yep, I know. And I stood there puffing. LOL!
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    I am blessed to have a wife who supports me and who enjoys hanging around when I'm smoking cigars. When I pick up new sticks, she always wants to smell them before they go in the humi. She doesn't smoke them, but she likes being around when I do.

Not everyone appreciates our "hobby" though.

Several years ago, wifey and I were at a fancy restaurant in North Carolina and while we were waiting to be seated, she got a glass of wine, and I picked out a nice cigar at their cigar bar. I lit up, and just then a family with a little kid walked into the lounge. The kid pointed and said loudly to his dad, "Daddy! Look! That man is doing something bad!!"

LOL
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Puff_Dougie:
    I am blessed to have a wife who supports me and who enjoys hanging around when I'm smoking cigars. When I pick up new sticks, she always wants to smell them before they go in the humi. She doesn't smoke them, but she likes being around when I do.

Not everyone appreciates our "hobby" though.

Several years ago, wifey and I were at a fancy restaurant in North Carolina and while we were waiting to be seated, she got a glass of wine, and I picked out a nice cigar at their cigar bar. I lit up, and just then a family with a little kid walked into the lounge. The kid pointed and said loudly to his dad, "Daddy! Look! That man is doing something bad!!"

LOL
    Lol!! You bad, bad man
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    EoL:
    twistedstem:
    EoL:
    kaspera79:
    EoL:
    so we will see..
    My dad always told me, "If I ever catch you smoking, I'll kick your a$$!" He also bought me a box of cigars for my wedding, lol!! Since then, he's decided he'd like to try it and his new favorite are AVO's, I just bought him 20 of em. My mom isn't a huge fan, but I smoke around them and they do not mind. My wife says they stink, but she is definitely supportive (even though it took just a little convincing that filling our backyard full of tobacco plants this summer will be fun). LOL!!