Home General Discussion

stad?

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    bandyt09:
    gmill880:
    14,653 Members . I think when I joined about 3 1/2 years ago it was around 2000 ish . A bomb is a bomb and by definition requires no reciprocation from the receiver . If you sent a bomb just to get one back or see your name on the forum or any other reason than you just wanted to send something to somebody for your own reasons no strings attached you did it for the wrong reason period . If your gonna have hurt feelings , or think less of the person you sent it to , or be a smart-aleck to them on the forum if they don't return fire then you did it for yourself and not them and IMHO thats not right . Getting ripped off on a trade or a purchase is totally different and you should have a case of the sore-a$$ if it was done to you intentionally .

A bomb is a gift FROM a person that loves cigars and all things related TO another person that has shown an interest and love of the leaf for no other reason than to share a common bond/love/experience/comraderie of all things CIGAR !!!

The bombs themselves have changed quite a bit over the last 3-4 years , I believe some of the older forum members will back me on that . It used to be a lot of 3-5 stick packages and not nearly as high-end as now . The overwhelming numbers and quality in my opinion probably makes a lot of new-comers to this forum a little nervous to bomb or be bombed for lack of perceived quality/acceptable inventory from which to " return fire " which i believe they perceive they must do.

Personally , I have no problem with what any member feels they want to send as a bomb or how many or to whomever , thats a brother or sisters own business - but if you do -read 1st paragraph above again and make sure your doing it for the right reasons .

Last - This response is absolutely not addressed to any one person or persons - it is just one old forum members opinion on bombs and my opinion only , on the subject in general .
    Gene, I agree 100% with you on this.

When I first got on the forum I sent out a $100.00 humidor to another brother in need, you know what I got in return? NOTHING, not even a dime to cover the $27.00 in postage that I paid. I could have pissed and moaned about it and left the forum, then look at what I would have missed out on. I have sent out hundreds of cigars, NEVER, with the intention of getting anything back in return; I always told the receipient, if they wanted to "repay" me, to bomb another newbie when they have built up a stock.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you cannot afford to send out cigars and not get anything in return, you shouldn't be sending them out. Wait until you have built up a stock of cigars, personally I didn't "bomb" anyone until 18 months after I started this hobby, simply because I didn't feel I could.

Again, a cigar is just a cigar, enjoy this hooby.

Well said bandy , well said .
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    The Kid:
    sierrawest:
    From a noob standpoint I find this whole situation confusing. In and of itself the overall hobby is complicated and has a steep learnig curve with brand, taste, burn, draw, humidity, temp, storage, suppliers, etc, etc... This forum is a great knowledge base and I have found the members eager to share the wealth of experience they have. What has confused me about this forum is the totally random nature of the type of welcome a noob receives. I never expected a "bomb" (didn't know what one was when I joined) nor have I or would I solicit one. I do not want to appear to be whinning here either but am offering feedback based upon this thread. One new member finds a welcoming committe in his mailbox everyday until he has to put a white flag out while another member does not. It is the damned if you do syndrome for sure for the experienced members. The generosity is awesome and what seems to separate this froum from the others I have seen. I am just suggesting to spread the welcome around a little... Please take these comments as they are intended in the good spirit they were written, not a *** fest that my welcome was a dud. I enjoy this forum a lot and have learned a ton.
    +1 thanks for having the courage to post this,, I'm sure you're not the only one that feels this way and I cant give you an answer as to why this occurrs but I agree it does..Thanks for not takin it personal. I can suggest for noobs to mabe take the inititiative. Big Fn Steve is a classic example of how to get things rolling..The brother came here did a lot of reading and learning and then basically jumped right in, and started a mad bombing spree. Being that I dont remember if he got a huge reception of bombs as a welcom he problably didnt. Yes some do get bombed more than others Salem comes to mind, but once again I dont have an answer to why this happens but once again its just part of the way things go and I hope none of the newbs that dont get this kind of welcome take it personal, Hell I know vets who dont get bombed like some of the newbs,, EDIT,, And no Im not speaking of myself,,Oh BTW send me your addy and I'll send ya some lovin!!!!!
    Hey Kid, care to share that info once you get it? ;) PM me.
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    I think this thread should DIE! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) Easy, Bomb someone expect nothing in return, if you Do expect something, don't bomb someone, TRADE with them instead!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    I agree with Mike : )
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    danielzreyes:
    Hey Kid, care to share that info once you get it? ;) PM me.
    Check your inbox!
  • stadstad Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 386
    I'm here!! Just got completely slammed and haven't been able to get to this. I'm so sorry! I can't can't thank you guys enough, I got bombed alright!! I'll post pics tonight. Oh, and uh Steve, I will find your addy and I will blow the snot out of you! Watch your back! You guys are best!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    We need pictures of the carnage stad. I can't imagine you got off lightly, giving these maniacs your address and all.
  • stowggiestowggie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 399
    stad:
    I'm here!! Just got completely slammed and haven't been able to get to this. I'm so sorry! I can't can't thank you guys enough, I got bombed alright!! I'll post pics tonight. Oh, and uh Steve, I will find your addy and I will blow the snot out of you! Watch your back! You guys are best!
    Careful with the wording! :). That's sounds a bit weird.Lol
    stowggie:
    stad:
    Ha ha! That does sound a little funny. Victim of posting on the run I guess. To all the members of the board- Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner. The two guys that very generously bombed me have been pm'd with my personal remarks. To the rest of you I sincerely hope you can overlook my breach of forum etiquette.
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Glad your OK, welcome back from the busy schedule!!
    stad:
    stowggie:
    stad:
    Ha ha! That does sound a little funny. Victim of posting on the run I guess. To all the members of the board- Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner. The two guys that very generously bombed me have been pm'd with my personal remarks. To the rest of you I sincerely hope you can overlook my breach of forum etiquette.
    You have nothing to apologize for, if anything you're due an apology from those who jumped to conclusions. Hopefully you can overlook that breach of etiquette and continue to enjoy the forums.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    j0z3r:
    stad:
    stowggie:
    stad:
    You have nothing to apologize for, if anything you're due an apology from those who jumped to conclusions. Hopefully you can overlook that breach of etiquette and continue to enjoy the forums.
    Very true. PM sent, Stad.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,290
    Nonono stad man I was just call`in ya out based on our previous banter and conversations! I didnt intend for this thread to turn into what it has. Enjoy the smokes brother. And welcome to the forum.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    stad:
    Godo to see you here brother. We've been getting some great new members as of late and Steve is one of them. Jump right in and go....buy a cooler
    catfishbluezz:
    Seems like I have seen this a little more recently... This is why I put the scumbagslist.com in my signature and I check it before i send anything out to a noob honestly. I think we should add people to it more often than not. I can thnk of several folks whom have gotten on here, got smashed, and gone away. It's alomst like we should require a few bombs coming from them before we destroy their block as a feeding frenzy/pack of wolves... That would take away from the whole board though, and I have been part on some noob bombings that went well, others that disappeared.
    Keep me off that list :)
    bigfnsteve:
    Nonono stad man I was just call`in ya out based on our previous banter and conversations! I didnt intend for this thread to turn into what it has. Enjoy the smokes brother. And welcome to the forum.
    Dude...you've been mroe than generous and we've had discussion via PM about this. I've bombed more than I've got, yet recieved some of teh most generous trades and bombs (including yours b$tch which you will die for) that have made me a ccom'er for life. I love seeing people get active, and honestly.........this forum is keeping me alive during my unemployment. It's been rather boring...and stir crazy, but this keeps me sane. Dropping bombs....is the best, and the ones going out this week are pretty tough!

I apologize on my behalf too if I offended anyone. I love this place, and I love the generosity...that's what makes it so amazing and I would hate to see it go away for any reason.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    stad:
    catfishbluezz:
    Seems like I have seen this a little more recently... This is why I put the scumbagslist.com in my signature and I check it before i send anything out to a noob honestly. I think we should add people to it more often than not. I can thnk of several folks whom have gotten on here, got smashed, and gone away. It's alomst like we should require a few bombs coming from them before we destroy their block as a feeding frenzy/pack of wolves... That would take away from the whole board though, and I have been part on some noob bombings that went well, others that disappeared.
    lol, i check that every few weeks, i freak out thinking that i missed something and ill end up on it. welcome back! hope you stick around during your recovery and beyond!
    stad:
    catfishbluezz:
    For the record, unless someone terribly burned me...I woudl never put someone on this list myself. I would let the guys who've been generous enough to guide me make that decision. Guys like Joe, Toddx2, Greg, Sniper, Ken, etc... Even if I did get burned, I would still consult and give a million chances beforehand.
    catfishbluezz:
    stad:
    Godo to see you here brother. We've been getting some great new members as of late and Steve is one of them. Jump right in and go....buy a cooler
    forget the cooler, go buy a calculator
    danielzreyes:
    catfishbluezz:
    stad:
    NO WAY.......my God....I can't imagine........it's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddddd............ That's like...something a wife would do lol
    I hope this thread will serve as a lesson in making assumptions or jumping to conclusions about people. Sometimes you're going to be right, but those times don't justify when you're wrong as you might make newcomers feel unwelcome.

Just my two cents here...I'm sure it can be said that I'm taking a "look at the bright side" approach, and I'd probably agree, especially when the alternative is casting doubt and suspicions verywhere I look. Fwiw, I appreciate the willingness to step up and apologize that you guys have shown, I think that speaks a great deal to your character. This has been and remains a great community with quality people and I'm proud to be here as long as I can say that.
    catfishbluezz:
    danielzreyes:
    catfishbluezz:
    stad:
    NO WAY.......my God....I can't imagine........it's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddddd............ That's like...something a wife would do lol
    LOL what I was getting at is ever since I joined this forum, I forgot how to count to 5
    danielzreyes:
    catfishbluezz:
    danielzreyes:
    catfishbluezz:
    stad:
    LOL what I was getting at is ever since I joined this forum, I forgot how to count to 5
    5? What is that????
    j0z3r:
    I hope this thread will serve as a lesson in making assumptions or jumping to conclusions about people. Sometimes you're going to be right, but those times don't justify when you're wrong as you might make newcomers feel unwelcome.

Just my two cents here...I'm sure it can be said that I'm taking a "look at the bright side" approach, and I'd probably agree, especially when the alternative is casting doubt and suspicions verywhere I look. Fwiw, I appreciate the willingness to step up and apologize that you guys have shown, I think that speaks a great deal to your character. This has been and remains a great community with quality people and I'm proud to be here as long as I can say that.
    +1
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    What a great bunch of guys. I just read this from front to back and it was so cool to see the discussion, and everyone keeping their heads and talking it out. I think the Newb Trading post is the answer. I got on here and was greeted whole heartedly by Noah. I asked for a sponsor and he took me on. I sent the best sticks I had at the time. Getting involved in that trade led me to want to get involved in other discussions. I've only been on here for less than a week and have already started friendships with a few of you guys. What is forgotten is that I have yet to recieve a stick, however I have already been bombed with advice, information and just general kindness. The BOTLs are the real bomb for loving this hobby and sharing it with newcomers. My sincerest thanks!
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,290
    Stad: no need for retaliation. It was a welcome gesture. Enjoyed hassle`n ya. I PM`d you with a suggestion on who to bomb in retaliation. Again i hope you enjoy the smokes. I`m to have ya around .
    bigfnsteve:
    Stad: no need for retaliation. It was a welcome gesture. Enjoyed hassle`n ya. I PM`d you with a suggestion on who to bomb in retaliation. Again i hope you enjoy the smokes. I`m to have ya around .
    +1000.....if you need addy's Stad....Steve and i are the resident noob bombing coordinators adn give you plenty of bears to poke ;)
    mmccartneydc:
    What a great bunch of guys. I just read this from front to back and it was so cool to see the discussion, and everyone keeping their heads and talking it out. I think the Newb Trading post is the answer. I got on here and was greeted whole heartedly by Noah. I asked for a sponsor and he took me on. I sent the best sticks I had at the time. Getting involved in that trade led me to want to get involved in other discussions. I've only been on here for less than a week and have already started friendships with a few of you guys. What is forgotten is that I have yet to recieve a stick, however I have already been bombed with advice, information and just general kindness. The BOTLs are the real bomb for loving this hobby and sharing it with newcomers. My sincerest thanks!
    Well Marty....sorry....Doc! You've definately got the ammo after yesterday's score to do some trading and damage. It still amazes me on every trade I get or give something I have not had. I jsut did a trade with my first sponsor and we were laughing about how many darn smokes there are out there....

You haven't had X?!?!?
    No....you haven;t had Y?!?!?!
    I'll send you one!
    No....I'll send you one
    Alas....so many cigars, so little time lol
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    catfishbluezz:
    danielzreyes:
    catfishbluezz:
    danielzreyes:
    catfishbluezz:
    stad:
    5? What is that????
    i forgot how to count to 3... thats all but one finger, right?
    I'm smoking one of your lovelies right now. I must say you have good taste. Thanks again brother.