Home Non Cigar Related

my first firearm purchase

2»

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    My first handgun was a XDm Competition Model (No Conceal Carry for me yet)

My first shotgun was a Pump based on the 870 model but it has interchangeable barrels and came with one as well! Mossberg makes them, Savage Makes them etc. But now I have an 18.5" barrel for HD and a 28" barrel to go bust some clays... That's what made me buy it, just love it.

And my last purchase was the M&P AR 15-.22lr model... Just because ammo is so cheap and it's okay-accurate.

BIG thumbs up to the XD though, thing works like a dream and has a lifetime warranty.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    wow that's a great deal! Thanks for the heads up! I'm planning on replacing the stock and forend grip with the Blackhawk stuff anyway so the wood grain wouldn't matter and I was thinking about different chokes for skeet and hunting but that 28" barrel would be nice to have for that. The one I was looking at getting here was $330 for just the 18.5". Good looking out brother!
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Here's the one I"m waiting on delivery for, hopefully will arrive this week. SIG 551-A1. Also a smoking deal, got it for $700 under MSRP plus free shipping and an extra mag (the Swiss mags are pricey!).

SIG 551-A1
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Not my first purchase, but the one I'm most pleased with... Desert Eagle medium-frame in .40SW. My buddy Ronnie did the Duracoat at work one weekend.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    My AR15 build in progress. Parts still coming in.

imageimageimageimage
  • Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    Freaking awesome brother. Check out Doublestar they are a local company here in ky about 45 min from me they usually have some great gear reasonable for ur AR. When I finally take the plunge that's where Ill get some of my parts there lowers are awesome plus I love their logo...lol
    Doublestar has some cool stuff. I might look into them on the next build. I am doing a Spike's on the rest of this build. I might go Troy Industries on the free float rail since I can get it in FDE to match my furniture.
  • Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    Nice.... cant wait to see it all together..
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    jsnake:
    My AR15 build in progress. Parts still coming in.

imageimageimageimage
    Looks like a Spike's. They make some good stuff for a reasonable price.
  • leerescue@yahoo.comleerescue@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    My zombie killerPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • StreaterStreater Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    The XD is a great weapon, but will it go BOOM when it counts? I would HIGHLY suggest spending the extra $$$ on a Sig.

As far as the 12 ga. you won't need a recoil pad. It will just add weight. The 870 would be my choice over the Moss. I have an 870 and LOVE IT. You can modify the hell out of it, they're extremely reliable and they're very affordable. Make sure it can chamber 3 and a half inch shells.

As far as a rifle, I'd suggest building it or at least setting some extra $$$ aside to modify the one you get. That's the reason you get an AR. If you don't want something to modify, get an M-3 and be done with it. Just my 2 cents.
    Here is my extended magazine release

Spike's Tactical Enhanced lower parts kit including Nickel Boron trigger and hammer image

The weapon parts are going to all be mostly Spike's. The charging handle is the BCM Gunfighter. I will probably be getting a Troy Industries free float quad rail in Flat Dark Earth to match my Magpul furniture.
  • CmdioCmdio Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
    Streater:
    The XD is a great weapon, but will it go BOOM when it counts? I would HIGHLY suggest spending the extra $$$ on a Sig.

As far as the 12 ga. you won't need a recoil pad. It will just add weight. The 870 would be my choice over the Moss. I have an 870 and LOVE IT. You can modify the hell out of it, they're extremely reliable and they're very affordable.
    Not trying to start a flame war, but for about the same price you can get a glock. I have no doubts about my glocks. My g35 that I use for 3 gun has been through 5k rounds without a single malfunction, no break in, nothing. 5k right out of the box. Not the same craftsmanship as a sig, but I'd trust my life to one, no questions. Also try both the moss berg and 870. I really like the tang safety on the 500. You can go with a 590 too which is the mil spec version. A lot of aftermarket for the mossbergs too.
    Cmdio:
    Streater:

As far as the 12 ga. you won't need a recoil pad. It will just add weight. The 870 would be my choice over the Moss. I have an 870 and LOVE IT. You can modify the hell out of it, they're extremely reliable and they're very affordable.
    Not trying to start a flame war, but for about the same price you can get a glock. I have no doubts about my glocks. My g35 that I use for 3 gun has been through 5k rounds without a single malfunction, no break in, nothing. 5k right out of the box. Not the same craftsmanship as a sig, but I'd trust my life to one, no questions. Also try both the moss berg and 870. I really like the tang safety on the 500. You can go with a 590 too which is the mil spec version. A lot of aftermarket for the mossbergs too.
    +1 I carry a Sig 228 for work (no choice) and I am fearful for the day I have to use it. At the range it is not uncommon to have a few malfunctions. And I am meticulous about weapons maintenance. My Glock 30 on the other hand, I have had for 5 years, thousands of rounds and have yet to have 1 malfunction. I have had many glocks through the years and that is the only weapon that resides in my concealed rig.
  • StreaterStreater Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    marineatbn03:
    Cmdio:
    Streater:

+1 I carry a Sig 228 for work (no choice) and I am fearful for the day I have to use it. At the range it is not uncommon to have a few malfunctions. And I am meticulous about weapons maintenance. My Glock 30 on the other hand, I have had for 5 years, thousands of rounds and have yet to have 1 malfunction. I have had many glocks through the years and that is the only weapon that resides in my concealed rig.
    The Glock is a fine weapon. I have owned a few, actually. I will own more in the future, I'm sure. You can't go wrong with a Glock, unless you miss. :-) As far as your Sig, have you had anyone look at it? Have you tried different types of ammo? That's scary marineatbn03. I pray that you never have to use it if it jams so often. Maybe you can throw it at the enemy?
    Streater:
    marineatbn03:
    Cmdio:
    Streater:

The Glock is a fine weapon. I have owned a few, actually. I will own more in the future, I'm sure. You can't go wrong with a Glock, unless you miss. :-) As far as your Sig, have you had anyone look at it? Have you tried different types of ammo? That's scary marineatbn03. I pray that you never have to use it if it jams so often. Maybe you can throw it at the enemy?
    I carry an Ak as my primary. And as far as I am concerned, the Ak is like the glock. Not the prettiest thing you will ever see, but you can always count on it working when you need it (maintained of course). As far as the Sig, I have practiced throwing full magazines in case it comes to that. My partner actually just got issued a glock and I am jeleous. I tried to tell him how bad they "sucked" and that I would carry it because I value his life. Didn't work.
    You really need to have that SIG looked at, the 228 is a proven platform. I have thousands of rounds through all my SIGs and the only time I've had a malf is after 6 or 700 rounds in one session without cleaning or lubrication. (you didn't mention what type of problems you were having).
    The only problem I have with this Sig is its failure to eject when clearing. It will eject when firing, but not when clearing the gun. Plus it shoots low/left. It does hold a mean group, I just have to aim a few inches up and to the right. And none of this would be a problem to get fixed, but I do not have the tools to do it, and am pretty much stuck out in the middle of nowhere. So I just have to deal with it.
  • stadstad Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 386
    I bought my brother a XDm .45 for his birthday this year. He LOVES it, I have a Kimber pro carry and I like the XD just has much. It's a very versatile gun. Also better for home defense. Easier to grab and fire when you've just been startled wake and it's dark and your sleepy. Less mess to clean up too.
    Marine, I would recommend posting a question in the SIG Armorer subforum at www.sigforum.com. Might be a simple fix not requiring anything special. There are some extremely knowledgeable folks that hang out there.