Home General Discussion

buying online

SoddyDenizenSoddyDenizen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 19
Not sure how to ask this but here goes. While I have purchased a couple of samplers from c.com, most of my online buying has come from a popular auction site and a competitors site. The auction smokes have been great and I have been able to get a good variety at decent prices. Problems have arisen with the competitors site though. A large percentage of the sticks I have purchased from them seem very tight and hard to draw. I understand an occasional bad one but I am getting so many it almost seems consistent. A call to customer service yielded a sales pitch to buy a device that reams the cigar through the center to create a draw. All of my smokes are kept in the same humi and the auctions ones draw fine so I am pretty sure it is not a humidification issue. Also I get unsolicited calls pressuring me to join their frequent buyer club and other auto sending programs. I looked up some reviews and this company gets consistantly poor review from disgruntled customers. I have seen a few posts here suggesting you call c.com customer service to ask for specials and other items rather than just buying online. Will the sales staff guide me in choosing equivalents to what I have been buying from "the other guys"? My buying is not lavish but I would certainly like some guidance to assist in future purchases. Sorry if this post violates guidelines, but my frustration with this competitor has reached it's peak. Thanks all, and thanks for this great forum!

Comments

• ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    It's me again...
    Calling or e-mailing one of the reps here on c.com will be your best bet. I contact Andy D. for my purchases and he always does me a good deal. I believe I may know the name of the competitor you're talking about and I too made the mistake of ordering from them in the past. I bought some of their "House brnad" and had to throw out 95% of them. Tight, unsmokeable draw and they tasted like they had been rolled with leaves straight from the field.
    Anywhoo, back to c.com! Yes, the reps will help guide you in your purchases. The staff are very knowledgeable about the various brands/strengths/vitolas you may be looking for. Once again, I hope I've been of some assistance.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Put it to you this way.... I shop around, always have. They come close enough I'd rather pay more and just did. Ask jetmech if he'll buy anywhere else after this week.... Andyd@cigar.com bro
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    At least one Auction site is owned by CCom's parent, so I guess if you have to go Auction, use the "Devil Site", but honestly, everything they list can be purchased from CCom (unless it is an item branded with a sister's name/logo/etc. obviously). Try SprintSale. Again, all of the items we are familiar with as being the kind of stuff you can get a great deal on from Cigar.com normally, or from one of the other related sites, but Sprintsale is actually Alex and co.'s baby.

As for "House" brands from any of the other large online houses? Forget it. They are all trash compared to the brands Cigar.com owns. In my opinion, this is largely because Alex is so involved in the blending of the products made for Cigar.com, plus they are made in conjunction with people like AJF, who is a direct disciple of Robaina...

Tim is the rep I use, and he is THE MAN, er... beard.
  • SoddyDenizenSoddyDenizen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 19
    Thanks for all the help guys. My frustration with the other company just hit it's peak with yet another unsmokable tight draw. Just wanted to confirm about contacting a sales rep rather than just ordering online. Plus I would like some guidance to comparable products that I know I like. Guess I should be checking the sprint sale more often. In my checking of reviews, c.com gets consistantly high marks from customers, both in quality of product and packaging. Time to make the move.
    FYI...I've found age to be a big help if you are having consistent issues with one smoke
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    you must be buying from the "T" site.
    run as fast as you can from them.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    I've had nothing but good experiences with cigar.com on the daily deals, talking with Sean the rep, and also great deals through the sprint sale.
    yes, it is the "T" site. I know I'm not alone in frustration and inconsistent product. Catfish, by age do you mean keeping in the humidor? I got a few closeouts from a local guy and smoked one that evening. It was ok but not great. Let the others age a bit and they turned out to be pretty nice smokes after a little time. Wish I knew what they were.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    Before my Dad passed away in 06 he ordered from the T site. They arrived in 2 days, dried out and crumbly. He called their customer service and they said they weren't responsible for what happened during shipping. He made me swear to never buy from them. I haven't.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Oooh, he said a bad word.
    They won't even deliver to Oregon, but even when they used to, I never had any success with them.
    So many times getting trashed cigars from them. And when the box comes with no damage and the cigars are hammered, really?

I do a lot of looking around on prices and if you watch the daily deals, free fall and such, you can often come away with some pretty nice deals here. No question about it, there are some good deals out there at other places, but looking at the product I have received from c.com vs other places, so far it has been hands down way better.

Not to mention the free shipping on the daily deals. How does anyone compete with that?
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    kuzi16:
    F*ck run------get in a jet, bus, train, rented mule---whatever, just get away from that place. One deal, many moons back, was just ridiculous (mainly because it was in error)-----since then, and before then for that matter, a real piece of poop.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:
    That's what I was thinking. They even used to sell a wire with a handle on it to "unplug" your unsmokable cigars.
    SoddyDenizen:
    yes, it is the "T" site. I know I'm not alone in frustration and inconsistent product. Catfish, by age do you mean keeping in the humidor? I got a few closeouts from a local guy and smoked one that evening. It was ok but not great. Let the others age a bit and they turned out to be pretty nice smokes after a little time. Wish I knew what they were.
    Yes.... Age will do wonders for many things.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    catfishbluezz:
    Ask jetmech if he'll buy anywhere else after this week.... Andyd@cigar.com bro

Hellz no! The customer service at ccom as by far an away superior to any site out there. That's what keeps me coming back. That and the Beard....
  • GoatmilkGoatmilk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 200
    I think "T" only stays in business because they advertise so much so they get alot of people who just don't know any better. I'd keep an eye out for any charges from them. I've heard many stories about them just signing people up for their "club" and placing orders for them without consent. I'm so glad I never made this mistake myself.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    Goatmilk:
    I think "T" only stays in business because they advertise so much so they get alot of people who just don't know any better. I'd keep an eye out for any charges from them. I've heard many stories about them just signing people up for their "club" and placing orders for them without consent. I'm so glad I never made this mistake myself.
    That's exactly it. In December my dad said he was thinking about getting me cigars because he got an email about a deal with a humidor. It was the "T" deal with their house brand. I politely told him that I have plenty of cigars and don't need anymore. A couple days later my mom forwarded me the same email and asked if she should get it for my uncle. They flood people's email (I've never purchased from them, but I get their emails in my junk filter), and casual smokers think they're getting a bargain.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Place a few orders with C.COM and you will soon enough see they are the best. If you think you are really getting a deal on another site call up a rep and see what they can do.
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I am going to email a rep and see about getting a new stock soon. Just lit up another unsmokeable. I have looked at a lot of cigar sites and the only one that sells a cigar reaming device is the T people. Guess I know why now. Like I said, I can understand a bad one now and then but not this many. I shouldn't have to roto-rooter my sticks before I light up.
  • Fritz the CatFritz the Cat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 27
    85% of my smokes come from the three sisters, rarely do they disappoint in quality and customer service. ISOM's i get up north and I buy a few smokes from every local B&M I visit when i have time to smoke during my travels. I'm not home enough to really get to know my local B&M, nor do I really smoke enough. I only keep 100-150 smokes on hand and the only boxes i buy are "special." Once and a while I buy from a nearby competitor, but T? Nope, wont do it, great for n00bs. Well I take that back, it could turn off n00bs!
  • NOBLE 6NOBLE 6 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 34
    Fritz the Cat:
    85% of my smokes come from the three sisters, rarely do they disappoint in quality and customer service. ISOM's i get up north and I buy a few smokes from every local B&M I visit when i have time to smoke during my travels. I'm not home enough to really get to know my local B&M, nor do I really smoke enough. I only keep 100-150 smokes on hand and the only boxes i buy are "special." Once and a while I buy from a nearby competitor, but T? Nope, wont do it, great for n00bs. Well I take that back, it could turn off n00bs!
    Noob here-so what's "T"? I only order from C.com and yellow smiley face.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    CCOM is the only site Ive found that humidifies their shipments. That has the effect of making the cigars smokeable much closer to "right off the truck" than anyone else Ive found. If you DO decide to make purchases elsewhere (and NEVER from the "T" site - they are widely known for sending out garbage and taking no responsibility for it), expect to have to rest your purchases in a humidor for a significantly longer amount of time before they smoke properly.

• Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    NOBLE 6:
    Fritz the Cat:
    Noob here-so what's "T"? I only order from C.com and yellow smiley face.
    The "T" site it that which shall not be named. As an aside, anyone ever notice that dogs start looking like their owners after awhile?
    Andy made me a fantastic deal today... I found an offer elsewhere of something ccom did not carry. I was prepared to buy from them, but asked Andy if he could do something similar and gave him a list of what I wanted to try....he nailed it. That's the difference here...personal attention to detail.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    catfishbluezz:
    Andy made me a fantastic deal today... I found an offer elsewhere of something ccom did not carry. I was prepared to buy from them, but asked Andy if he could do something similar and gave him a list of what I wanted to try....he nailed it. That's the difference here...personal attention to detail.
    Good customer service wins out every time. P.S. Vinny almost killed an ADT guy tonight. LOL
    Smokindaddy:
    catfishbluezz:
    Good customer service wins out every time. P.S. Vinny almost killed an ADT guy tonight. LOL
    Oh crap...some dbag trying to sell him an alarm?? Hope he didn't bust out the artillery...
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    catfishbluezz:
    Smokindaddy:
    catfishbluezz:
    Oh crap...some dbag trying to sell him an alarm?? Hope he didn't bust out the artillery...
    Thats exactly what happened LoL
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Ahh the "T" site. My grandma ordered me some cigars there about 10 years ago and they still get mailings and emails constantly. I like to think of all the money they are wasting by sending my grandparents the catalogues.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    PM to you Soddy. (click on "inbox" in the top right corner of the page if you haven't found them yet. They can be tricky to find)