Home Non Cigar Related

Craft Beer Reviews

y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
Hey ladies and gents! I know in the general forums there are a couple of beer threads. Thought maybe in the non-cigar related forums we could have a beer reviews thread. Anyone that's experienced an exceptional craft beer they've had and would like to share, bring it up here.

My first is Heavy Seas, Small Craft Warning, from the Clipper City Brewing company in Baltimore, MD.

It's an imperial pilsner. Faint hops to the nose. A creamy head and finish with hints of caramel and honey on the tongue. As far as cigar pairings go...um, don't know. Didn't pair it and don't have any experiences pairing pilsners with cigars. Would love to hear a review if anyones got one.

Comments

• y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    No one likes beer I guess.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time differentiating flavors in beer. Cigars I can do, but beer not so much. I sure do enjoy it though.
    j0z3r:
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time differentiating flavors in beer. Cigars I can do, but beer not so much. I sure do enjoy it though.
    Funny, it's the complete opposite for me.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    It's easier to pull flavors from a beer for me too. Many more years of practice and homebrewing. Still learning cigars.
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    I think my favorite craft beer would be Chimay http://www.chimay.com/en/bieres-de-chimay.html?IDC=287 And the Devil, I mean Duvel. http://duvelbeer.net/
    djbeenie:
    I think my favorite craft beer would be Chimay http://www.chimay.com/en/bieres-de-chimay.html?IDC=287 And the Devil, I mean Duvel. http://duvelbeer.net/

I'm a big fan of Duvel as well. That stuff's just pure, liquid pleasure. Haven't had Chimay yet. If the monks make it, it must be good.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    If you guys like the Trappist beers you sgould grab some rochforts and westmalles.. they are just as awesome.
    y2pascoe:
    djbeenie:

I'm a big fan of Duvel as well. That stuff's just pure, liquid pleasure. Haven't had Chimay yet. If the monks make it, it must be good.
    Dude if you like Duvel, you will love Chimay. Go grab some today, its pure awesomeness! Bring your billfold, you pay for what you get. 12 bucks a bottle. It's also 8% alcohol content too!
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    y2pascoe:
    djbeenie:

i reviewed craft beers for awhile, and collected all the bottles..have not drank a craft in awhile, I love wheat beers
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    having a north coast old stock ale 2012, AWESOME!
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    I have been enjoying our local pistolville Porter from our local brewery for months now... but when I'm home, I tend to drink stuff like Red Brick Porter, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Terrapin Wake-n-bake, Leffe, Chimay, cigar city brewery Maduro Ale... Pretty much anthing either in stout, porter or belgian form... but I love all beers, minus hardcore IPAs and crap like miller, bud, etc.
    Krieger:
    I have been enjoying our local pistolville Porter from our local brewery for months now... but when I'm home, I tend to drink stuff like Red Brick Porter, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Terrapin Wake-n-bake, Leffe, Chimay, cigar city brewery Maduro Ale... Pretty much anthing either in stout, porter or belgian form... but I love all beers, minus hardcore IPAs and crap like miller, bud, etc.
    The crap has it's place at the table, too. When I'm playing golf or something on a hot, HOT day, for my money there's nothing better than a cold Coors Light.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Last night, I brought a bottle of The Burery's Rugbrod to a local shop and split it with the GM and their new employee. Nice sweetness with a very malty backbone and hints of fruit and pepper.
    Rob1110:
    Last night, I brought a bottle of The Burery's Rugbrod to a local shop and split it with the GM and their new employee. Nice sweetness with a very malty backbone and hints of fruit and pepper.
    Thanks for the recommendation!
    y2pascoe:
    Krieger:
    The crap has it's place at the table, too. When I'm playing golf or something on a hot, HOT day, for my money there's nothing better than a cold Coors Light.
    I agree! I really like Miller 64. 64 cals and taste way better than bud light. Its a nice hot summer boat beer on the lake.
    Hennepin Belgian Saison Ale. 7.7% abv.
    I've had a chance to try a few Saison ales recently, and while I'm not hooked on the particular style, the Hennepin is one of the better ones I've tried.

It poured well and had a THICK, creamy head to it. The foam left a lace-like residue which clinged to the glass as i drank. Very aromatic, smelling of light hops but strong fruity aromas. While I guess saison's utilize a lot of hops, the bitterness was very light to the taste. Not an over abundance of carbonation either. The finish was quite spicy, and left what I perceived as a dry apricot flavor, most likely from the orange zest mixing with the other spices used.

I was actually quite fond of this ale, and I'd like to try some more. I was drinking it while smoking a Tatuaje RC184, which certainly would have affected my palette, so another tasting without the cigar would probably yield some different results.

Cheers!
    Nice Review. I have one bottle in the cellar. I need to do an Omegang tasting soon. I have 6 bombers waiting to be popped.

Tonight I had Southern Tier Chocolat - what can I say? The name describes it perfectly. Tons of dark chocolate, dark malts, burnt sugar, thick and viscous with a solid but not overbearing hop bitterness that works well with the dark chocolate.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Have no reviews but got these courtesy of the fiance a few days ago:
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    nice thread!

wow never heard of those Sam A before... I'm jealous.
    ENFIDL:
    Oh, Elijah....now I have to run out and get one of these.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    Cinder Bock was really smokey. Pretty decent. I have the Baltic chilling and havent found Griffin's Bow yet. The other ones of the series were pretty good too.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    y2pascoe:
    I've had a chance to try a few Saison ales recently, and while I'm not hooked on the particular style, the Hennepin is one of the better ones I've tried.

It poured well and had a THICK, creamy head to it. The foam left a lace-like residue which clinged to the glass as i drank. Very aromatic, smelling of light hops but strong fruity aromas. While I guess saison's utilize a lot of hops, the bitterness was very light to the taste. Not an over abundance of carbonation either. The finish was quite spicy, and left what I perceived as a dry apricot flavor, most likely from the orange zest mixing with the other spices used.

I was actually quite fond of this ale, and I'd like to try some more. I was drinking it while smoking a Tatuaje RC184, which certainly would have affected my palette, so another tasting without the cigar would probably yield some different results.

Cheers!
    Mike, nice review on this one, I have a bottle in my beer frigde or my buddies beer fridge that I've had about 6 - 8 months or so. Sounds like it will be popped soon

Wake Up Dead Russian Imperial Stout
    Left Hand Brewing Co., Longmont, CO
    10.20% abv.

I recently discovered Left Hand Brewing Co. offerings this past year, when my future pop-in-law handed me one of their Milk Stouts last winter. I feel pretty darn lucky that their products have distribution in my area, because from what I've experienced, they produce some of the best porters and stouts I've been able to buy around here. The Wake Up Dead Imperial Stout in every way lives up to the high quality I've discovered in Left Hand's offerings.

To me, the best way to describe this beer is to imagine Willy Wonka brewed beer. It's a flippin' treat!

The aroma I caught could best be described as "Milk Dud". As in the candy. Chocolate and caramel odors just waft off of the head.

It poured heavy with a dark chocolate color and minimal head. Very little if almost no foam cling to the glass.

Taste wise, expect dark chocolate, caramel, and raisin.

The finish includes everything you pick up in the taste, but also leaves a carbonated tingle on the tip of your tongue where the flavor of the hops used really stand out.

A beer like this just makes me want to go out and try everything this brewery has to offer. I just think it's that good. If you like this, I also recommend Left Hand's Black Jack Porter, it's a lesser brew in strength, but certainly not in flavor.

Cheers!
    bandyt09:
    y2pascoe:

Cheers!
    Mike, nice review on this one, I have a bottle in my beer frigde or my buddies beer fridge that I've had about 6 - 8 months or so. Sounds like it will be popped soon

Thanks, Todd! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    Had a Tyranena Bitter Woman IPA tonight. Great flavor for a local WI beer. Not as hoppy as I like but still a good beer.
  • cmartincmartin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 130
    I finally got my hands on some dog fish head 120. I won a bottle in a raffle at world of beer and was able to snag another 2 bottles. Had one. And it was everything I always thought it would be. I haven't been able to find it for 2 years. Going to try to age one and crack the other one open with a good smoke.
    Met up with a few friends at a local B&M yesterday for brews and smokes. Some amazing beers were cracked. The standouts for me:

Three Floyds Dark Lord (2011 and 2010) - a friend had traded some Kate the Great for these. This was everything I'd hoped it would be and was amazed that it wasn't a barrel aged stout. Huge, sweet fruit notes, roasted, dark malts, vanilla, caramel, sugar and coffee. The 2011 was a bit sweeter while the 2010 was slightly more acidic and the coffee stood out more.

Goose Island Bourbon County Bramble Rye - Huge raspberry and blackberry notes mingled with vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, dark malts. Very balanced but definitely Bourbon County. Another winner from Goose Island.

Evil Twin Soft DK - Very nice chocolate stout. More stout than chocolate and not quite as over the top as Southern Tier's Chocolat.

Cheers!
    phobicsquirrel:
    nice thread!

wow never heard of those Sam A before... I'm jealous.
    I just heard about them about a month ago from one of my coworkers and I'm a SA whore lol Very excited to try them out
    y2pascoe:
    ENFIDL:
    Oh, Elijah....now I have to run out and get one of these.
    You def gotta hunt them down man. I'd love to read your reviews on them