Home Cigar 101

Infused cigar humi

gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
A humi used only for infused cigars , will the humi 'absorb' the flavor/smell and do you think it would affect non-infused smokes. Just asking, I notice when I open my humi I keep my Java and Tabak Especial and the like in it smells great (to me anyway). Now it may very well go away when the Java's are all gone (begins to shake and twitch a bit) but does anyone have any experience with this. I hope to never be lower than a box on the Java and the Tabak Especial as I do love them for certain occasions ....a good morning smoke with a cup of coffee ...but I was just curious ...

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Dunno Gene, but I have the same deal. I have a humi I keep my Javas/Tabaks/Kopi Luwaks/Irish Hops/Isla Del Sols in. And yeah, it smells awesome, lol. I would think that after a long time, the wood would absorb some of the aroma, but I also imagine it would also dissapate after some time without the cigars.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    I don't think it's something to worry about too much. However - I definitely keep mine seperate from my regular smokes with a divider, and if i could swing for it, i'd have a smaller seperate humi for the infused ones. But, the thing is, spanish cedar resists other 'flavors' the same way that it gives off its own. Worst case is that it wouldn't be affected long-term, just in the short. For example...

An aromatic cedar linen closet with a ton of mothballs inside will smell like mothballs when you open the door. But, if you took out all of the mothballs and let it air out, it would smell like cedar again.

I think it would be the same way with what you guys are asking. I'm pretty sure that's the biggest reason besides humidity balance that they use spanish cedar in humidors, because it imparts its own aroma and doesn't maintain or impart other aromas on the cigars.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    a different humidor is needed if you do not want to have the smell/taste on your non flavored sticks.

the cedar closet is a bit off...
    that wood is a very different cedar. spanish cedar is not from spain nor is it cedar. it is actually Tropical Americas mahogany. this is all together a very different animal.

not to mention cigars. we will put it this way- If you can smell it, so can your cigars...
    but your cigars will hold onto it.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I agree with Kuz and can say I have experience with this as well. When I first started out, I kept some vanilla smokes in my small humi with the rest of my smokes and before long, everything in there including the humi itself smelled like vanilla. It wasn't until I removed the vanilla smokes (my suggestion is a tuperware container - cheap and it won't ruin a good humidor) and left the humi open for a few weeks to get rid of the smell. Of course I had to re-season it afterwards.

It'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run to just put the infused smokes into a tuperware container with a humi pillow and keep your non-infused smokes in the humi. Cigars are meant to age in spanish cedar (which Kuz already explained is VERY different from American Cedar), so keep the traditional cigars in the correct humidor.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    a different humidor is needed if you do not want to have the smell/taste on your non flavored sticks.

the cedar closet is a bit off...
    that wood is a very different cedar. spanish cedar is not from spain nor is it cedar. it is actually Tropical Americas mahogany. this is all together a very different animal.

not to mention cigars. we will put it this way- If you can smell it, so can your cigars...
    but your cigars will hold onto it.

You may have mis-understood , I do have a seperate humi for them , a little smaller than my biggest one, I was just wondering about the long term effects...I never mix infused with my non-infused it was just more of a curiosity question than anything...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    if you have infused cigars in there long enough then the odor will permeate the wood and will have a permanent effect on the humidor.
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    I keep my Java's & Tabak Especial in a small 30ct humi...i had 5 of them in my regular humi & noticed the strong aroma...so i decided to keep them seperate for fear of my non flavored smokes picking up mocca/chocolate taste.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    hmm... i think i'm gonna have to get another humi for them then, or go the tupper-dor route...

i didn't think that it would create any lasting effects on the actual humidor, at least not after they were removed...

sounds like a 'valid' excuse to get another one to me, eh guys?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    bacon.jay:
    hmm... i think i'm gonna have to get another humi for them then, or go the tupper-dor route...

i didn't think that it would create any lasting effects on the actual humidor, at least not after they were removed...

I say... YES !!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    bacon.jay:

And while you're getting one, you may as well get two.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    bacon.jay:

Or three ....
  • ScottUScottU Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 194
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    bacon.jay:

Or three ....

Or four...... Okay now I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm looking at getting a 25ct for some infused cigars. I mostly smoke non infused, but must admit that once in a while enjoy a nice Drew Estate.....