Home General Discussion

Too Good to be True?

webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
A KLR650 motorcycle forum I belong to displayed a banner ad this morning for an offer from [name censored] aimed at recruiting new customers. It's [link bowdlerized]. [text of link redacted] For a mere thirty clams, they offer me a sampler containing 1 each of:

- Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5x49)
- Hoyo Excalibur Epicure (5.2x50)
- La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 (5.5x54)
- Macanudo Hyde Park (5.5x49)
- CAO Black Bengal (6x50)
- Punch Pita (6.1x50)
- Gurkha Triple Ligero Toro (6.2x50)
- Torano Noventa Santiago (5x50)
- Garo Double Hawouldwouldbano (4.7x52)
- Padilla 1948 Ed. Limitada Robusto (5x50)

as well as a Whitetail Glasstop Humidor (50 Capacity)

Now, when you price each of these individually, it all adds up to way ridiculously more than the thirty bucks they ask. But I am old enough to know that when it's too good to be true it usually ain't. There are two reviews of this deal on that page. One bitches that three out of the ten cigars arrived damaged. OTOH, searching up [name suppressed] here, I discover that cigar.com and [jeez, how many times do I have to edit this?] are the same outfit with two names, and when my one buddy sent me a big gift sampler from c.com (which is how I found this place) and when the other buddy sent me a box of AB BMs, both these shipments arrived in great condition. So I dunno about that part of it. I don't find any similar way underpriced loss leader samplers here at c.com. I'm sure the glass top humidor can't be much for the bucks. But how do you fudge the sticks? So I don't get it.

Are dirt cheap offers like this generally legit? Are they that willing to lose bucks to get you in the door and on the mailing list?

Hey, and, isn't the internet a wonderful place? I just love browser cookies. The next guy who is into, say, a tennis forum, might go to that same KLR forum and get shown a banner from Pacific Sports offering a dynamite deal on a tennis bag and racket combo. It makes the web so much more friendly and useful. Like the greasy spoon where you used to score breakfast every morning during your bachelor days. Pretty soon, you go in there, here comes Earlene or Raylene or Darlene or Charlene or some kinda buxom good humored old gal nothing fazes whose name ends in lene, with a pot of joe in one hand and two creams in the other, saying "Morning, Bob. What'll you have, the regular?" I go to a sub shop like that. The old Greek lady there knows I want an antipasto salad with no bread or croutons, with olive oil and a boiled egg and loads of black olives in it. Don't have to say. And she knows I am interested in the news from Greece, which she always has on the Greek TV channel. Browser cookies do that for the web. Lotsa paranoia about them; totally misplaced.

Comments

• oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
    Kind reminder that the rule of thumb is that we don't like to promote other site's deals on the forum. My 0.02.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    I have absolutely no problems dealing with CCOM or its Sister site Both have awesome customer service and will bend over backwards to help you or to make things right in the rare instances something might get screwed up.

Personally, I think it's a great idea to bring in new customers and I'd rather see people buying from CCOM and its Sister site than a certain-site-with-the-same-name-as-a-sub machine gun.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    Yes, it's a great introductory offer and I bought 3 of them over time essentially for the humidors. Hang around, look, post, and smoke some sticks. Glad to have you
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Yeah, hate to be the police here-----but poor form and a "no-no" to be posting other sites deals and names, links, ect. to them on here. Its kinda the only rule Alex and the crew requested, just to let you know man.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Vulchor:
    Yeah, hate to be the police here-----but poor form and a "no-no" to be posting other sites deals and names, links, ect. to them on here. Its kinda the only rule Alex and the crew requested, just to let you know man.
    Duides, chillax.

I posted this question to this site because both companies, at least according to what I read on this site, are one and the same, just with different names. Is that not the case?

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Vulchor:
    hardly "being the police" by delicately telling someone new they have made a faux pas. think of it as a "friendly reminder"
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    webmost:
    Duides, chillax.

I posted this question to this site because both companies, at least according to what I read on this site, are one and the same, just with different names. Is that not the case?

I've made this mistake in the past too .... these sites are not the same, they simply ship out of the same warehouse address.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    jgibv:
    webmost:
    Duides, chillax.

I've made this mistake in the past too .... these sites are not the same, they simply ship out of the same warehouse address.

In which case, I apologize, abjectly, completely, contritely, and unreservedly, for my inexcusable rule flaunting behavior. Thanks for the admonition. In future I will remember not to believe everything I read here. Unless it is posted by kuzi. Moderators please yank this entire thread. Thanks.

Parenthetically, how's a guy to know unless he asks an impartial source? For example, there is another KLR forum, not the one which displayed the above-mentioned banner, which actually filters out the name of a certain other competing KLR site, changing it all to asterisks as though it were a nasty unmentionable MF bomb word. Other sites can be mentioned, but not this one nasty site. They do so because that other site sells Chinese rip-off stuff. Steals designs and has them knocked off. Now, how's a guy gonna know not to buy from the rip-off site if that site is not even mentionable by name? Likewise, if this suspicious cigar offer advertised on the banner was just a low quality bogus scam, how would a newbie like myself know? Do we all need to make the same mistake? Or is there some other impartial source which is more comparison friendly? Or ought I, perhaps, to PM another CC forum member, asking the same question, but keeping it offline?

However, that's a question for the forum moderators. I hereby ban myself for the rest of the day. Mea Culpa.

• bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Glad this was mentioned, because I didn't know they were seperate companies either.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    webmost:
    Parenthetically, how's a guy to know unless he asks an impartial source?
    No hard feelings, like I said you're not the first to make this mistake and I don't think anyone's going to throw you to the wolves.
    But in the mean time I would suggest editing the original post and deleting the text/info about the deal.

And if this does get pulled, I've copied and pasted this onto the "Newbs please read thread" .... but to your question above, I do not know the answer...I learned the same way you did, by posting the other site's "deal" and the forum members swiftly let me know the two companies were not related.
    The only way to play it safe would be to not post anything unless it has the CCOM name attached to it. Otherwise - you've got the right idea, PM other forum member(s) and ask their opinion.

Maybe we can add this topic to one of the "newb info" thread.....
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I think the correct answer is they are two independant companies owned by the same outfit if I recall correctly but they are in fact competitors in the retail market. It is OK to make a mistake and learn from it. This site is jealously guarded by those of us who enjoy it for good reason.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    fla-gypsy:
    I think the correct answer is they are two independant companies owned by the same outfit if I recall correctly but they are in fact competitors in the retail market. It is OK to make a mistake and learn from it. This site is jealously guarded by those of us who enjoy it for good reason.

Excuse me Sir, you have a PM.

Sorry, I did not mean to thread jack....

• VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    webmost:
    Vulchor:
    Duides, chillax.

Dudes....I am "chillax'd" thanks