Home General Discussion

Hey AJ...Your advertising campaign stinks!

JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
Looking through my new Aficionado yesterday, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

It’s a full page glossy scene of a deathly pale grey-skinned $5 hooker (or mannequin) in a dimly lit room in the late evening or early moring hours, reclining in seductive clothing on what is obviously a flop house couch, and she’s supposedly “enjoying” “the best stick of the day”, while holding a cigar in her hand. Outside the open window behind her is a bright neon "hotel" sign with one letter burned out. It’s garish, sleazy, vulgar, and misogynic. There are even letters to the editor complaining about some of his previous ads.

AJ Fernandez may be one of the best cigar blenders to come along in some time, but his advertising campaign is not helping him, in fact, it may even be hurting him. If I were not familiar with his cigars, his advertising would not entice me to try one, but it would encourage me to avoid them. For a guy who makes a very classy product, this is just the WRONG message to be sending.

If anyone at Cigar.Com has any influence with Mr. Fernandez (HEY ALEX), please take him aside and try get through to him. He may be going for a “cutting edge” approach, but the only thing he may be cutting is his own wrists.

Comments

• crazystixcrazystix Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25
    I have to agree with you on this.  Most of my favorite cigars are by AJ, but his advertising campaign is definitely a turn-off.  He should fire his marketing director and hire someone who will promote his products with some class.  Just my 2 cents. 
  • sierrawestsierrawest Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 50
    +1 - gotta wonder what they are thinking releasing an ad like this...
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    There are a couple other threads about this on here.
    General consensus was his advertising is lame.
    Though I have to admit I would hate to see more of those ads with a picture of a cigar and a rating.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i think they are funny as hell.

i look at the ads as making fun of cigar advertising.

i mean, how many ads out there do you see where it is something along the lines of some crazy hot girl on a beach so beautiful that you doubt it exists in reality smoking the cigar they are supposed to be advertising. i mean seriously, that ad i just described is just as ridiculous as the one JDH pointed out to us but in the opposite direction.

or how about the type of ad where there is a "ruggedly handsom" man with a glass of scotch in one hand a cigar in the other and his arm around that same crazy hot girl?
    seriously?
    most of the time my wife, and all other women for that matter, want me as far away as i can be from them while smoking a cigar (come to think of it, that may be due to things other than the cigar....)

one thing i know for sure:
    weather the ads are Brilliant or Crazy, they are working. Here we are talking about AJ Fernandez.

thats why i vote brilliant.
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    kuzi16:

i mean, how many ads out there do you see where it is something along the lines of some crazy hot girl on a beach so beautiful that you doubt it exists in reality smoking the cigar they are supposed to be advertising. i mean seriously, that ad i just described is just as ridiculous as the one JDH pointed out to us but in the opposite direction.

or how about the type of ad where there is a "ruggedly handsom" man with a glass of scotch in one hand a cigar in the other and his arm around that same crazy hot girl?
    seriously?
    most of the time my wife, and all other women for that matter, want me as far away as i can be from them while smoking a cigar (come to think of it, that may be due to things other than the cigar....)

weather the ads are Brilliant or Crazy, they are working. Here we are talking about AJ Fernandez.

my views exactly.
  • gio164gio164 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 180
    kuzi16:

seriously?

+1
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I rather enjoy A.J.'s ads.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:

seriously?

I think they're sick, and I also think that he may be asked to pull them from certain publications. Satire is one thing, but these ads are revolting to some members of his clientelle.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    Well in today's society "sex" sells thats what the public wants and and that what they get. The beatuy of being free country is that we have a choice not to look at things that we don't want to. I think that since most tobacco ads are banned besides in certain magizine I think it's smart to have them blend in with outhers. You def can't miss two guys in a Tobacco field checking the plants. I'm with Kuzi I thought the ad was funny and was happy to finally see my favorite blender being advertised. I've seen Colon and perfume adds a lot worst than this one, but everyone has a right to their own opinion and a chioce to purchase cigar magazines.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I, on the other hand, could never see a picture of Rocky or Nish Patel or their flaming comet cigar ads and be happy. I guess I see where AJ is coming from and I repect JDH's position, albeit it is not mine. I don't see anyone not smoking the sticks in defiance to his ads. Remember, any press is good press and all this banter just increases it.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Gaetano7890:
    ...I've seen Colon and perfume...
    LOL! Might want to check the spelling on that one Gaetano! ;-)
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    kuzi16:
    ...how about the type of ad where there is a "ruggedly handsom" man with a glass of scotch in one hand a cigar in the other and his arm around that same crazy hot girl?
    seriously?...
    Come on kuzi, your holding out on us. It really IS that way around your house, isn't it.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    kuzi16:

I think this is the problem. You're very familiar with AJ, have met him, and enjoy many of his brands. Because of that, this ad will not sway you to buy that stick (unless somehow you didn't know it existed yet). You are therefore NOT the target audience.

Is it satire? Maybe it was an attempt at it. I'd like to think it is. But what IN THE AD leads you believe it is satire? To me, absolutely nothing.

This problem reminds me a bit of the hipster mentality of wearing something "ironically." Irony, and also satire, rely on both context and cues to their identity. In the case of a hipster, as far as I know, you BECOME the guy that wears that shirt the second you put it on. That kind of irony only works in writing because the outside observer has some insight into the psyche of the character. On the street you're just a tool because your target audience knows nothing about you. So maybe you're dressing up for your close friends, who do know you, which makes you even more of a tool. Anyway, I digress. :)

In the case of advertising, for this to look like satire, the target audience would either have to have extensive knowledge of AJ Fernandez (and therefore cease to be the target audience) or it would have to have some internal cues, most likely be SO PERVERSE that it can't possibly be serious. Something like "A Modest Proposal" but in print ad form. I don't think it goes far enough for this (JDH might disagree), though admittedly that's somewhat to the discredit of the rest of the cigar ads, because they're not far from this (I'm looking at you, Rocky).

So I agree that it is a bad ad. I also agree that he should fire the guy that made it. But...maybe because I wouldn't mind his job...
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    Roberto99:
    Gaetano7890:
    ...I've seen Colon and perfume...
    LOL! Might want to check the spelling on that one Gaetano! ;-)
    OOPs I forgot a g and an e on cologne spell check has put alot worst I once handed in a report to my boss with some crazy stuff.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I could care less.... A suave ad and a sh$TTY cigar would piss me off more.... Aj can do whatever he wants with his ads and I'll smoke his stuff...
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    JDH:
    Looking through my new Aficionado yesterday, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
    Haven't seen the ad, JDH....but in general I agree there certainly are some advertisements these days that just make you stop and say "Huhhh!?!????"

It's as though some of the ad agencies only go for the shock factor these days and they're turning out some strange things....but with that being said, it's those "shocking ads" that usually stick in my mind.
    There's been a few on TV lately that made me say "WTF they can't do that on TV?" but I can still remember the content of the ad. Sadly though, most of these "shocking ads" are so off the wall that I only remember was the content but have no idea what product they're selling.
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:

I think this is the problem. You're very familiar with AJ, have met him, and enjoy many of his brands. Because of that, this ad will not sway you to buy that stick (unless somehow you didn't know it existed yet). You are therefore NOT the target audience.

Is it satire? Maybe it was an attempt at it. I'd like to think it is. But what IN THE AD leads you believe it is satire? To me, absolutely nothing.

This problem reminds me a bit of the hipster mentality of wearing something "ironically." Irony, and also satire, rely on both context and cues to their identity. In the case of a hipster, as far as I know, you BECOME the guy that wears that shirt the second you put it on. That kind of irony only works in writing because the outside observer has some insight into the psyche of the character. On the street you're just a tool because your target audience knows nothing about you. So maybe you're dressing up for your close friends, who do know you, which makes you even more of a tool. Anyway, I digress. :)

In the case of advertising, for this to look like satire, the target audience would either have to have extensive knowledge of AJ Fernandez (and therefore cease to be the target audience) or it would have to have some internal cues, most likely be SO PERVERSE that it can't possibly be serious. Something like "A Modest Proposal" but in print ad form. I don't think it goes far enough for this (JDH might disagree), though admittedly that's somewhat to the discredit of the rest of the cigar ads, because they're not far from this (I'm looking at you, Rocky).

So I agree that it is a bad ad. I also agree that he should fire the guy that made it. But...maybe because I wouldn't mind his job...
    I think Ken gets it. These ads are offending potential customers - they are producing negative letters to the editor, asking that they be pulled because they are seen as being outright indecent.

One of the primary functioins of advertising is to sell products, and one way of convincing people that they should try a new product is to produce an ad that people will identify with. If you know nothing about AJ Fernandez cigars, and this is your first impression, it is likely to be an extremely negative impression, which may well influence someone not to buy your product. This isn't a free speech issue. It's about commerce. What businessman in his/her right mind would intentionally offend potential customers, especially if you are a "new kid on the block"?
    JDH:
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:

I think Ken gets it. These ads are offending potential customers - they are producing negative letters to the editor, asking that they be pulled because they are seen as being outright indecent.

One of the primary functioins of advertising is to sell products, and one way of convincing people that they should try a new product is to produce an ad that people will identify with. If you know nothing about AJ Fernandez cigars, and this is your first impression, it is likely to be an extremely negative impression, which may well influence someone not to buy your product. This isn't a free speech issue. It's about commerce. What businessman in his/her right mind would intentionally offend potential customers, especially if you are a "new kid on the block"?
    My guess is....potential customer ask AJ fan, have you heard of this guy? Yeah...his smokes rock. Ad=worked. The only person possibly losing out is the business supporting the ad, not AJ IMO.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    Just for me, I think the ad was fine. It is a magazine that caters to men, it is full of manly things, and it does not have any material that applies to children. Everything in the magazine is slated for a male audience that is over 18. If he was advertising this ad in parenthood or ladies home journal, then yes I feel it would be innapropriate. I liked the ad, thought it was funny that an apparently "working girl" was enjoying the best stick of the day.....funny to me. I personally think it should have been monica lewinski in the photo, but I'm a little twisted.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    Would you guys rather look at the woman in the ad? Or that really weird dancing guy in the blue body suit doing an ad for san lotano? Remember that?
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    asianbiker8:
    Would you guys rather look at the woman in the ad? Or that really weird dancing guy in the blue body suit doing an ad for san lotano? Remember that?
    Thanks dude,,,Thanks alot,, I finally did forget about the blue dude and now I'm having flashbacks again.. gonna have to go look for the 5 dollar hooker ad now ,,lol.. Hope its online,, if not why dont someone snap a pic of it and post on the daily hottie thread..
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    tried to google the ad but couldn't find it...seems like much ado about nothing. What are we, quakers?
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Here's the ad in question:

Personally, anyone who is offended by this ad must live under a rock... I think it's yet another clever, interesting ad from AJF. Anyway, I'd rather look at her than the guy from the "outsourced model" ad they did...
    Thanks man,, IMO much better than the blue dude,, I like it. I got a chuckle out of "best stick of the day". Now how come im hearin the tune ..........She works hard for the money,,so hard for it honey
    "...Personally, anyone who is offended by this ad must live under a rock... "

Doc, you are entitled to your opinion. Since you have chosen to get personal in your observations, that's your business but I won't stoop to that level. I find the ad sick, disgusting, and revolting, and other readers (of the magazine) have voiced a similar opinion. Because others find the ads to be offensive, the logical conclusion is that AJ might be loosing customers un-necessarily.

BTW, I'm very comfortable with where and how I live, thank you very much. I don't live in a cave, and I am very aware of the world as it is. If you enjoy the ad, more power to you; that's your business, not mine.
    JDH, are you not going to buy AJ's sticks as a result of this ad?
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    He got you to look at the ad, right? Last time I checked that is what a good ad does ;)
  • crazystixcrazystix Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25

Well at least the hooker ad is better than this one:

Thanks Crazystix and Doc for postin the ads...
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I'm not a fan, but not particularly offended by it. It just looks to me like an ad campaign that's over the top to make up for a mediocre stick. If I didn't know anything about AJ I would probably avoid it based on that ad, but thankfully I know better and they're on my list to try.