Home General Discussion

A Night to Remember Forever....

90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
Had a really special night with Pops on the back porch. Pulled out the really special stuff on both fronts; he provided the Hennessey Single Distillery Le Peu Cognac and I provided the smokes... Both are Bolivars, one gifted to me by Joz3r and one by Shaun Harrison. I believe they were the 2007 Gold Medal (Shaun) and the other was the Cabinet 2007 Corona from Joe. I had the Gold Medal and Pops had the Cabinet... sublime doesn't quite put it correct and it will be a night to remember for the rest of my life, thank you both for helping me to have this!!!! The cigar that I have measured all others by up to now was the Montecristo No. 2.... the 2007 Gold Medal was on par if not slightly better.. really.

After we had finished off the Bolivars we light up one more each; I gave him a Montecristo No. 4 that he absolutely loved courtesy of Tom (Poker Slob) and I had my first OSOK courtesy of Steve (BigFnSteve) and was amazed at how huge this smoke was while finishing like glass.... thank you both this was so so wonderful!

Comments

• Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    Awesome brow that is amazing and you can never replace genuine father son time. 3 cheers
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    I miss those kind of days... dad's getting so sick lately... :-(
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    Glad to see you had an awesome time with your pops
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Thanks guys, I would never have been able to make something like this happen without the incredible brothers on these forums, thank you all so much!
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    hi Irishman, thanks for sharing your special moment and the picture with us. I lost my father last year and still feel very empty without him. When he died I was in overseas. get together and enjoy more moments like this whenever you can. These are the golden memory. Again thanks!
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Glad you had a good time with your dad. Always cool to see.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Brett, awesome write-up. I would love to have heard your opinion of the Boli PC, but I'm glad pops enjoyed it. Glad to have helped out a bit in making this a special night.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    That is simply awesome bro! Quality father son time over a cigar and drinks that will never be forgotten!
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Thats awesome man and very cool day to have with someone you care deeply about!! Very nice man, I'm glad you had one of those days! Even though I dont know you, its still cool just reading stuff like this! Just awesome stuff man and thanks for sharing!!
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Awesome glad you were able to spend quality time with your father what a great way to spend Easter weekend.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,290
    Brett thats so awesome... glad you enjoyed the osok and more importantly time with pops. Thanks for sharing. Just one more example as to why this hobby is so great.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    Very cool Brett...thanks for sharing, moments like these are what it is all about....
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    You can't have too many days like that; I think that's why so many guys go fishing with their father. You really ought to try to do as much stuff with him as often as you can. Life is short.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    Very cool, man. Nice setup you have back there. Herf at your place!
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    Great night and pics Brett, that looked like an awesome evening you will remember forever! PM to you!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Thanks for sharing brother ... cherish your dad and these times ... may they last forever !
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Envy ya dude. Wish I'd had times like that with my pops
    Thank you to EVERYONE!!!! 2.5 hrs of smoking great cigars and talking life is something that I will treasure forever, thank you all for all of the encouragement!!!

On a side note, to correct myself from earlier I had the Bolivar Belicosos Finos from 2007 courtesy of Shaun, not the Gold Medal; thank you so much Shaun!

Joe, although I did not smoke the Cabinet Corona myself I did try it and got a pretty accurate read on it; it was far more full bodied and full-flavored than the BBF, tons of redwood and damp earth with cream and vanilla spice... it was terrific and thank you!
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    That's awesome, Brett! Looks and sounds like a great time was had by all.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Excellent post brother. Wish I'd have been into cigars before my dad passed. I think it would have been a great time to share a smoke with him. Just the two of us chilling out. Loved the pics Brett.
    Thanks brothers! I truly count myself lucky that it was my father who initially got me into cigars and started me on this path. Wasn't quite my first cigar ever, but it was close enough that it really sticks out as the defining moment where I truly became hooked and dedicated to this; The day I graduated from HS back in 2006, my Grandfather (Pops Father) bought a mazo of ten of the Preferido Gurkha Legends (initial release btw) and gave them to my Pops. The three of us went out back of the house tapped the keg of Fat Tire and each of us lit up the Legend... that is another of those memories and moments that will last a lifetime.

I actually have the final two Legends from that initial mazo of ten in my humi right now still aging, like 6 years isn't long enough lol, and will be firing those up on special occasions to celebrate soemthing regarding either Pops or my Grandfather. Slightly off topic but still related, the black 150 ct that I first started off with (it also holds humidity even better than my cooler btw!!!) was my Grandfather's humidor that he gifted to me.... a lot of history is inside my humi's and my collection, it is really a great way to remember all of those times and the people that made them so great.

Thanks for reading brothers and sisters, this is the type of special storeis that really make me appreciate and love this passion as much as I do, I hope the rest of you enjoyed it as well ;)
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Thats really awsome brother . I love me some history , glad your able to connect your cigar and history passion . I know from reading your posts family and history are very important to you . Enjoy your posts bro . Gene
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Cool story Brett, thanks for sharing. Father/Son time is pretty special.
    Thanks for all the kind words and compliments guys, history and family mean the world to me and it really makes the stick and experience that much richer when those things overlap as they do ;)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Nice write up, glad it all came together for you.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    NICE! Looks like a good time Brett!