Home General Discussion

E p carillo

NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
Has the blend for the core line changed? I thought I remembered this blend having a Sumatra wrapper from Ecuador bit I see it's on Ccom as habano? Ive seen numerous online reviews which state it's a Sumatra wrapper grown by Olivia in Ecuador. Anyone have any clarification? Thanks!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Wrapper: Ecuador
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Dominican Republic, Nicaragua

the term "habano" usually refers to the fact that it is not a maduro or oscuro but fermented in the traditional style. you can have an "Ecuadorian Habano" or a "Nicaraguan Habano"

some wrappers like "Connecticut shade" are traditionally fermented in one way and therefor do not get a "habano" after their name

of course, in this industry there is a ton of grey area where one thing means a few things. "habano" is one of those things. to some it means one thing to others it means another.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Not to derail this thread on to a tangent but I thought Habano was a seed originally from Cuba now grown elsewhere.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    You are talking about Habano 2000 seed. Which was invented in Cuba's Pinar del Rio (some say Vuelta Abajo) region. Cuba discontinued this type of seed because of the blue mold. However, some people say Habano 2000 is a cross between the original Cuban Habano seed with Connecticut shade. I heard conflicting information about this seed. Some say it is a hybreed, some say it is still pure second generation Cuban seed. However, I saw this plant in Placensias tobacco firm in Nicaragua and they claimed that they are the first grower who planted this seed outside Cuba. there are tall plant with wide, rounded leaves. After cured they look very reddish to brown color. I also heard the original Cuban Habano is also a cross between El Crojo And Bell 61-10 cigarette tobacco. When these seeds came to Central America it didn't work so some planters crossEd the Cuban seed with either Connecticut shed or Indonesian Sumatran based seed. I am going to meet Eduardo Fernandez next month and will ask his opinion. Cigar industry is full of hype, secret and competition. Olive, Plancensia, Eruadro Fernandez are the pioneer tobacco leaves growers and guard their secrets tightly. You will be very surprised to know that most of the Cuban tobacco seeds have been smuggled and Cuba tightly control it's cured tobacco. Many master blenders will pay a fortune for Cuban tobacco. I tried a cigar with blend of Cuban, Dominican and Nicaraguan filler which was exceptional. They simply can't bring enough from Cuba for mass production.
    bigharpoon:
    Not to derail this thread on to a tangent but I thought Habano was a seed originally from Cuba now grown elsewhere.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    rzaman:
    You are talking about Habano 2000 seed. Which was invented in Cuba's Pinar del Rio (some say Vuelta Abajo) region. Cuba discontinued this type of seed because of the blue mold. However, some people say Habano 2000 is a cross between the original Cuban Habano seed with Connecticut shade. I heard conflicting information about this seed. Some say it is a hybreed, some say it is still pure second generation Cuban seed. However, I saw this plant in Placensias tobacco firm in Nicaragua and they claimed that they are the first grower who planted this seed outside Cuba. there are tall plant with wide, rounded leaves. After cured they look very reddish to brown color. I also heard the original Cuban Habano is also a cross between El Crojo And Bell 61-10 cigarette tobacco. When these seeds came to Central America it didn't work so some planters crossEd the Cuban seed with either Connecticut shed or Indonesian Sumatran based seed. I am going to meet Eduardo Fernandez next month and will ask his opinion. Cigar industry is full of hype, secret and competition. Olive, Plancensia, Eruadro Fernandez are the pioneer tobacco leaves growers and guard their secrets tightly. You will be very surprised to know that most of the Cuban tobacco seeds have been smuggled and Cuba tightly control it's cured tobacco. Many master blenders will pay a fortune for Cuban tobacco. I tried a cigar with blend of Cuban, Dominican and Nicaraguan filler which was exceptional. They simply can't bring enough from Cuba for mass production.
    bigharpoon:
    Really interesting stuff, can you say who made that cigar with the cuban, Dominican, Nicaraguan blend
    Dear Big Chunks, I am afraid I can't because it is not legal to use Cuban tobacco here to protect Nicaraguan tobacco industry. If I meet you in person someday, maybe I will. I promised to the blender that I will not reveal his name. I hope you understand my position,sorry.
    big chunks:
    rzaman:
    bigharpoon:
    Really interesting stuff, can you say who made that cigar with the cuban, Dominican, Nicaraguan blend
    rzaman:
    Dear Big Chunks, I am afraid I can't because it is not legal to use Cuban tobacco here to protect Nicaraguan tobacco industry. If I meet you in person someday, maybe I will. I promised to the blender that I will not reveal his name. I hope you understand my position,sorry.
    big chunks:
    rzaman:
    bigharpoon:
    No problem, I wouldnt want anyone to get in trouble, it's just a curiosity I hear stories where people take apart a Cuban wrapper and put it on a Nicaraguan cigar and they say it's good, I even hear crazy stories where people claim Cuba imports Nicaraguan or Honduran tobacco
    They are all negativitiy and jealousy against the Cuban Puro. Yes, there are many fake Cuban cigars in the market but Cuba never use tobacco outside Cuba. Remember, all the cigar producer countries promote their cigar by saying- Cuban seeds but Cuba never promote anything by saying Dominican or Nicaraguan seed because they are confident about their quality tobacco. All the cigar makers and blender I meet here, they agree that the quality Cuban cigars are gem. Cuba used to have a lot of quality control issue even five years ago but things have changed a lot with huge investment from Europe. Now Cuba started aging their tobacco and want to produce well constructed Cuban cigar. There are many Cuban brands make flawless cigars. There are two kinds of people say bad thing about Cuban cigar- first, they have business interest because they can't sell Cuban cigar. Second, they haven't smoke good Cuban cigars recently. However, some non-Cubans cigars are also very good and they come with different flavor profile. Padron, Fuenete, Davidoff, La Aurora, Viaje are few of them but the fact is no one can deliver the sweet, fruity, flowery Cuban flavor. as a cigar lover, I welcome them all because they make my cigar experience more colorful. I will have difficult time to agree with the first group that Cuban cigars can't produce well constructed cigar.
    big chunks:
    rzaman:
    big chunks:
    rzaman:
    bigharpoon:
    No problem, I wouldnt want anyone to get in trouble, it's just a curiosity I hear stories where people take apart a Cuban wrapper and put it on a Nicaraguan cigar and they say it's good, I even hear crazy stories where people claim Cuba imports Nicaraguan or Honduran tobacco
    I understand marketing has a lot to do with it, the few Cuban cigars I've had have been great, I'm in the middle of saving money to make a large CC purchase but I agree with you NC are great and they bring something different to the table with different flavors. There is always room in my humidors for Cubans and Nicaruargan, Honduran, Dominican Cigars