Home General Discussion

Need more space!

SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
After being on this forum for a little over a month, I am officially running out of room in my little 50 count humidor. In the past I could simply buy a nice little 8 stick sampler and that would keep me satisfied for about a month. Now, I find myself on cigar sprint, daily deal, scoping out all the various B&M's in the area, and trying to avoid being destroyed by bombs and trades with all of you. So for all of you that think it is odd that everyone on the Newbie Welcoming Thread warns you to drastically increase your cigar storage capacity, DO IT! You will soon find that you are not just shopping for yourself. The generosity and camaraderie on this forum is infectious. So while all of you are horrible for my pocketbook, I greatly appreciate being able to call myself a BORK and look forward to filling up my next humidor and yours! Humidor

Comments

• RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    That's a nice collection of cigars you got going there. I don't know your style much. But when I started out. I had a 20 count travel humidor. Then I bought a 50 count humidor. After that, I said I was not going to buy a hundred count because I knew I would surpass that. So, I bought a 130 count, then a 150 count humidor. I hope you are seeing the trend here. That was all in one year. I ended up buying cooler before the year was up. Just a little friendly advise. I know the cooler doesn't look as nice as some of humidors out there. Just go ahead and get a size you are comfortable with. So you can save the money on buying humidor after humidor. Enjoy these learning lessons. Then again, you may have self control. So one up grade might not hurt. If you do, I applaud you Sir. I can't lie, when it comes to this hobby. My self control is out the window, lol. Anyway, whatever you decide to do. Let me know and I'll send you a few off your, Pretty much anything from the following brands list, lol.....

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    This is a side effect of participating in the forum, it gives you an education and the desire to start collecting and aging sticks. Go for the 300 count El Diablo humi it should tie you over for a month.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    $15.00 red cooler from walmart and $30 worth of beads and your good for a while. if the color of the cooler is not what you want buy another $20 worth of lumber and make a covering box for it. still cheaper than a humidor and you now have something to be proud of.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    70qt cooler $40 amazon, beads $40, empty boxes for stacking and cedar $5, sprint sale $500, the beard $1000, your addiction and brotherhood...priceless.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Day-um, your 50ct looks like my 40ct. I can barely close the lid and have a 12 cup Tupperware container full, too. Waiting on my beads for the trunk...
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    SleevePlz:
    After being on this forum for a little over a month, I am officially running out of room in my little 50 count humidor. In the past I could simply buy a nice little 8 stick sampler and that would keep me satisfied for about a month. Now, I find myself on cigar sprint, daily deal, scoping out all the various B&M's in the area, and trying to avoid being destroyed by bombs and trades with all of you. So for all of you that think it is odd that everyone on the Newbie Welcoming Thread warns you to drastically increase your cigar storage capacity, DO IT! You will soon find that you are not just shopping for yourself. The generosity and camaraderie on this forum is infectious. So while all of you are horrible for my pocketbook, I greatly appreciate being able to call myself a BORK and look forward to filling up my next humidor and yours! Humidor
    I see a few in there that I recognize lol. Those Padron 1926 Series Maddies are sublime! JHewey hooked me up with one in the the Torp vitola the No. 2 and it's still one of the more memorable smokes I've had. Out of any of the 1926's right now but it's on my list to get always lol. Enjoy those they rock!
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Good looking cigars you got there, dude.

And I too thought the folks on here were joking when I started out and they said "get more storage"....
    After maxing out 3 humis (2 medium sized and 1 travel) I finally learned my lesson and got a cooler. But now the cooler is quickly filling up too, grrrrrr
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    screw the storage. just smoke them. jk. i have a 150 ct and a 20 ct. maxed both of them out. now i kinda want a wall built in one. and really, i won't smoke some of them by myself. the good ones i always smoke w/ a good BOTL.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    lcpleel:
    $15.00 red cooler from walmart and $30 worth of beads and your good for a while. if the color of the cooler is not what you want buy another $20 worth of lumber and make a covering box for it. still cheaper than a humidor and you now have something to be proud of.
    This ^^ i've got one of the $20, red, 48qt igloos from walmart de-odorizing right now.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Quick------Smoke that Armada before it goes bad.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Very nice collection you have there brother! I give a +1 to the el diablo humidor. Love mine
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Strange how that seems to happen a lot round here.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Sorry to hear about your storage problems.

tell ya what... send me a few you don't want, and I'll send you a couple good sticks to replace em. We will call it a trade. Whadaya say?
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    ENFIDL:
    Very nice collection you have there brother! I give a +1 to the el diablo humidor. Love mine
    I can vouch for the el diablo as well. I love it.
  • BombayBombay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,207
    Make it 4 or 5 plus for the El Diablo. There is only one problem for now and it is a problem we all run into at some time, the bottom half of the diablo is now full and the top shelf has one layer across on it. I struggle to keep up with the cigar smoking pace of others on this site. I probably need to make room.
  • kingdavid5kingdavid5 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    Would it be cheaper to go for the cooler or you still paying about the same between getting beads shelves and what not for the cooler cause I'm thinking about upgrading as well
    kingdavid5:
    Would it be cheaper to go for the cooler or you still paying about the same between getting beads shelves and what not for the cooler cause I'm thinking about upgrading as well
    The cooler is much cheaper.... For shelves, I just got to the B&M and grab cedar boxes. I rip the tops off and use them to store specific brands, then use the tops to layer the bottom of the cooler with cedar. Works like a charm, tons of space, and plenty of room.
  • kingdavid5kingdavid5 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    catfishbluezz:
    kingdavid5:
    The cooler is much cheaper.... For shelves, I just got to the B&M and grab cedar boxes. I rip the tops off and use them to store specific brands, then use the tops to layer the bottom of the cooler with cedar. Works like a charm, tons of space, and plenty of room.
    I was gonna buy another 50 ct humidor but I'm thinking the cooler is the way to go because you really have allot more space with it. It's just the humidification that I am worried about cause I'm using the boveda packs and they work great but it would be more cost effective if I keep using them
    kingdavid5:
    catfishbluezz:
    kingdavid5:
    I was gonna buy another 50 ct humidor but I'm thinking the cooler is the way to go because you really have allot more space with it. It's just the humidification that I am worried about cause I'm using the boveda packs and they work great but it would be more cost effective if I keep using them
    Which is why I use beads... I have two 1/2lb bags and a gel gar. Refill them once every couple months and i am steady at 66 every day. You can do this with boxes for under $100 easily...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Cooler is the way to go. It holds RH way better than either of my wooden humis and holds a ton of sticks. I started off by storing my cigars in old boxes. It worked great until I ran out of room. I just recently made custom shelves for mine, effectively DOUBLING capacity from cigar box storage:

custom cooler shelves

Anyone interested in a set-up like this feel free to give me a pm. We can either work something out or I can give you advice on how to make your own.

bigharpoon:
    Cooler is the way to go. It holds RH way better than either of my wooden humis and holds a ton of sticks. I started off by storing my cigars in old boxes. It worked great until I ran out of room. I just recently made custom shelves for mine, effectively DOUBLING capacity from cigar box storage:

custom cooler shelves

Anyone interested in a set-up like this feel free to give me a pm. We can either work something out or I can give you advice on how to make your own.

Nice trays bro, i specifically use boxes from Cuban Rounds, and then any other brands that use small square boxes. I find that gives me the most room similiar to what you are doing. Using the ornate boxes destroys capacity.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Thanks for all the tips and compliments everyone. I am currently in the car headed to Myrtle Beach for a couple days. BigT and RCY, I would love to do a couple trades. I'll get back with you when I get home this weekend. I will try to pick up something special for you all while I'm out and about. Take care.