Home General Discussion

How much is excessive

Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
Hey All, Wanted to hear honest opinions from you all...as some of you know, when I was in Iraq about two years ago I went crazy buying cigars and ended up getting an Aristocrat MxT cabinet to go along with my 4 desktop humidors....since then, it has gotten out of control lol Now, I'm up to a full cabinet, cooler, and 4 desktops full of cigars....more than I'll ever smoke. Wife doesn't seem to mind as she knows cigars and hunting/fishing are my hobbies...any of you guys in the same boat? Although life didn't allow it initially, hard work and patience has allowed me to drop a LOT of $$ on this hobby as long as family is not ignored :) Anybody else let it get this excessive? I'm also considering getting a 2d cooler now lol....gosh I hate it!!!

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I have plans on expanding my collection once life allows.
    Planning on get a cabinet that accomidates singles. I have no need to store a box as I cant smoke it.

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Nick2021:
    Hey All, Wanted to hear honest opinions from you all...as some of you know, when I was in Iraq about two years ago I went crazy buying cigars and ended up getting an Aristocrat MxT cabinet to go along with my 4 desktop humidors....since then, it has gotten out of control lol Now, I'm up to a full cabinet, cooler, and 4 desktops full of cigars....more than I'll ever smoke. Wife doesn't seem to mind as she knows cigars and hunting/fishing are my hobbies...any of you guys in the same boat? Although life didn't allow it initially, hard work and patience has allowed me to drop a LOT of $$ on this hobby as long as family is not ignored :) Anybody else let it get this excessive? I'm also considering getting a 2d cooler now lol....gosh I hate it!!!
    I too have more than I'll (probably) smoke. I guess we're part "Collectors". I plan on smoking every one but, knowing my buying habits, I'll probably always have more than I need. Like you say. Family & Responsibility first. Its OK to take care of yourself as well.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    KCW:
    Nick2021:
    I too have more than I'll (probably) smoke. I guess we're part "Collectors". I plan on smoking every one but, knowing my buying habits, I'll probably always have more than I need. Like you say. Family & Responsibility first. Its OK to take care of yourself as well.
    I agree...family first then smokes! Has always worked for me! I am trying to get away from the "collector" thing too...that can be tough as well :)
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    Hope to have that problem someday.
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    Collecting them is as much if not more the habit than smoking them, for me anyway.....
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Same boat? No, I'm not even in a boat. Don't see a problem here, unless you aren't smoking any.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    Rail Jockey:
    Collecting them is as much if not more the habit than smoking them, for me anyway.....
    +1
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    I've tried to consolidate, but I can't. A couple years ago I decided to only buy a handful of my favorite brands so that my humidor is filled with only a select few brands that I love, but I've never been able to accomplish it. There are too many new brands that look great, and too many good deals out there.

As for the 'too much' part, for me it's more about quality. If there's a great deal on dollar cigars, I'll pass because I don't need another 20 average cigars. I'd rather drop coin on higher caliber cigars, now that I'm better able to afford it.
  • SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
    I would say excessive is buying a plethora of cheap cigars just so you think you have plenty (unless those value cigars are ones you enjoy.). Granted there are some lower priced sticks out there that are good. Cigars remind me of wine. I've had some fantastic bottles in the $10 range and some really crappy bottles in the $100+ range.

Price and even blender don't always warrant perfection, though personal taste is subjective. There are some AJ Fernandez, DPG, Fuente, Pete Johnson etc made blends that I don't like at all, then again each also make some of my favorites. My recommendation is buy what you like, and remember, even cigars you think are "special" and you are holding on to...should be smoked. Life is too short, and you may miss your chance, so unless you aren't going to be able to smoke or share every stick you have, try limiting the purchases. I would rather the chance to enjoy every cigar I can, rather than die with thousands of them I never got the chance to explore.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Unless you're going into debt, and/or neglecting personal responsibilities, it doesn't really meet the general definition of excessive. Subjectively though, you are probably way past many peoples standard of what they would consider excessive. Then again, some people feel like owning any large amount of cigars is excessive. You just have to decide what you're comfortable with.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    At the moment I smoke maybe 3-4 times a week. I buy what I like or want to try and because of budget orders are few and far between right now. I cut back on smoking to make supplies last. If money wasn't an issue I would most likely buy a box a month and start aging half until I ran out of storage. I have 2 100 counts 2 20 counts and would run a cooler for long term. So I guess around 500 sticks in a dream world. After that I would hold off and just buy when I went was running around when a smoking humi was empty.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    No such thing as excessive ...... like too much money , a girl too pretty or a car too fast !!!
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    imho only
    you have a problem when you are guilty of four or more of these
    1) You're spending money you shouldn't (and you know when that is - just have to admit it)
    2) You spend more than an hour a day tinkering about cigars (buying, reading forums, window shopping, trading, etc.)
    3) You've lost track (in your head) of shipments you have coming in
    4) You have 30+ sticks of "Cigar x", but 5-packs just came on sale, and they're only XX dollars, so you buy 3 more 5-packs, cause the price was soooo good.
    5) You always "gauge" upcoming social commitments as to what the chances are that you'll be able to smoke a cigar or two.
    6) You get slightly irritated when a planned herf session gets cancelled for some lame reason, like the unexpected arrival of your in-laws for a "visit".
    7) You know without even looking, about how many more sticks your storage systems can take before you need additional storage.
    8) You have "cigar dreams" and or "nightmares" - like opening your humi and there's no cigars in it, or it's crawling with beetles

yes....I have a problem............
    <br.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    KingoftheCove:
    imho only
    1) You're spending money you shouldn't (and you know when that is - just have to admit it)
    2) You spend more than an hour a day tinkering about cigars (buying, reading forums, window shopping, trading, etc.)
    4) You have 30+ sticks of "Cigar x", but 5-packs just came on sale, and they're only XX dollars, so you buy 3 more 5-packs, cause the price was soooo good.
    5) You always "gauge" upcoming social commitments as to what the chances are that you'll be able to smoke a cigar or two.
    6) You get slightly irritated when a planned herf session gets cancelled for some lame reason, like the unexpected arrival of your in-laws for a "visit".
    7) You know without even looking, about how many more sticks your storage systems can take before you need additional storage.
    8) You have "cigar dreams" and or "nightmares" - like opening your humi and there's no cigars in it, or it's crawling with beetles

I'm in big trouble.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    RBeckom:
    KingoftheCove:
    imho only

I'm in big trouble.
    Me to, I think.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Rhamlin:
    RBeckom:
    KingoftheCove:
    imho only

I'm in big trouble.
    Me to, I think.

Yup, I'm screwditated...
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    i think for myself anything over about a 30qt cooler would be (although i want to get a 50qt), but im broke so that doesn't matter. The way i see it is i currently have, i think, 25 sticks in my 16 qt cooler. 9 were from a recent trade an all that i want to try, i have another 8 or so that i want to get some time on before i smoke em and of the rest most are cheapos and one or two are decent. I would really like to get into trading more (one of the reasons i stalk the sprint sale) so i would like to keep a stock of at least 100 sticks so i dont have to over think it every time i open the dang lid.
  • tjptjp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 26
    im in the same boat, lot of burnig not enough time. if you do a cig of th emonth club canel that. burn through what you have , im sur eu got favorites and not so. save ur best for good times, burn the rest whenever and when u feel ur in control, start shoppomg more. imalmost 800 deep whith alot of humi's, its tough lol