Home General Discussion

my beads are brown!

fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
ok, in my in-wall humi i use 2 pounds of beads basically to just stabilize. i pound top and one pound bottom. i keep my unit at 67% bottom 68% top. i pulled my bead bowls out and they were like rust colored and dry, but i expected the dry part. should i replace them or is this normal. they are about 1.5 yrs old, the beads.

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I've never actually looked at mine to see if they have turned color, they are in black stockings so I can't see them....I would soak them in distilled water see what happens, see if you can flush them....
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    99% of mine are white or clear, but there are a few that are a dark brown, i usually just pick those out and toss them
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Try wiping front to back. Oh, wait... This is a serious question/post, isn't it? Sorry...
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I hope nobody let the cat in. hehe
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    i'll try that. if doesnt work i'll toss and buy new. thanks guys
    Diamondog:
    I've never actually looked at mine to see if they have turned color, they are in black stockings so I can't see them....I would soak them in distilled water see what happens, see if you can flush them....
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Ok, just what kind of beads are we talking bout here??????????????????
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I think some discoloration is normal from what I've read, has to do with the absorption of the oil molecules in the air from your sticks. But I just read that somewhere. I know mine have turned a dingy yellowish shade.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    The Kid:
    Either Anal or Humidity Beads. I hope not Anal because the brown color has a very obvious reason. But I think brown humidity beads are normal since some of mine are brown. Maybe if you only have candelas they turn green!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    scarlin:
    The Kid:
    Either Anal or Humidity Beads. I hope not Anal because the brown color has a very obvious reason. But I think brown humidity beads are normal since some of mine are brown. Maybe if you only have candelas they turn green!
    lol... oh that's funny
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    Nothing wrong with them. They turn brown over time. Mine have been brown for years and work just fine.
  • oilburneroilburner Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 91
    Could it be that they're absorbing the ammonia that the sticks give off as they age? I wouldn't be surprised if that could cause a color change.