Home General Discussion

Another odd question

JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
What would happen to your cigars if, instead of distilled water, you used bourbon to hydrate your humidity beads?

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    JDH:
    What would happen to your cigars if, instead of distilled water, you used bourbon to hydrate your humidity beads?

Your beads would get drunk and fall down on the job ??? Seriously , I would think maybe a very very mild infusion and probably not in a good way , I'm thinking you would have some nasty tasting sticks from that . Maybe , maybe not .
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    gmill880:
    JDH:

Your beads would get drunk and fall down on the job ??? Seriously , I would think maybe a very very mild infusion and probably not in a good way , I'm thinking you would have some nasty tasting sticks from that . Maybe , maybe not .
    I'm tempted to take a few sticks and put them in a seperate humidor and try it...what's the worst that could happen?
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    JDH:
    gmill880:
    JDH:

I'm tempted to take a few sticks and put them in a seperate humidor and try it...what's the worst that could happen?

Yeah I would def do it with just a few in a seperate humi . Just never know what you may come up with , keep us posted .
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    JDH:
    gmill880:
    JDH:

it will most likely ruin the sticks. i thought about doing this a while back , then i realized i dont like infused cigars.
    so i asked myself whats the best that could happen? best case senario i end up with infused cigars that i wouldn't smoke. worst case i ruin perfectly decent stiks and have to toss em.

i recomend if you do decide to do this to use yard gars

also just a thought, instead of puting the bourbon in the beads just put it in a shot glass or other small container so you dont ruin the beads
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    I've done this. I used Cognac in a shot glass. I put (5) 5V Cask in a zip lock bag, placed the shot glass inside, and set it in a old cigar box. I smoked one after a month and it didn't do too much. I let it go to three months and smoked another one. It def changed the flavor but not too much. I held out to month six and myself and coulple friends smoked the last 3. I think it was too much. There was def a flavor we didn't care for. I'd recommend letting them sit for 3-4 months and smoke 'em. They did soften due to the over hydration but that was the whole point. I dry boxed them for a couple hours before smoking. I'd suggest something cheap. Maybe LPH or GH. I had a good time experimenting with it. Give it whirl and let us know how it turns out.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    If I do it, I'll use some Ave Marias or JDN Celebracions, sacrifice some humidity beads, and put a little bourbon in a shot glass, all in a seperate pre-seasnoned box with a good seal, probably for not more than 2 -3 months. I'll take care not to over-wet them, because that will DEFINATELY change the taste, and not for the better.