Home General Discussion

Humidity drop!! Need Help!

BmosherBmosher Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
Hey Guys and Gals.

I wanted to check with everyone that might have had something like this happen.  I got a new humidor a few weeks ago.  Everything has been going great until today.  Less than 48 hours ago my humidor was reading 70% humidity.  Today it reads 45% 

The humidifier was still holding a good amount of water.  My shotglass in the corner is still half full.  The needle on the hygrometer does not appear to be level.  In other words the pointer end is touching the numbers on the gauge and the other end is sticking out towards the clear glass/plastic cover.

My first thoguht is that the hygrometer is broken.  Is this type of humidity drop in a short time possible without anything extreme going on?

Any help is appreciated.  I am looking into a digital hygrometer just in case.

Comments

• bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Sounds like a bad hygrometer. How big is the humidor? If it is a desktop sounds like you have enough water. Do not look into a digital hygrometer, do buy a digital hygrometer. If you did the dollar test and the seal was good, I am pretty sure you are ok..
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    bandyt09:
    Sounds like a bad hygrometer. How big is the humidor? If it is a desktop sounds like you have enough water. Do not look into a digital hygrometer, do buy a digital hygrometer. If you did the dollar test and the seal was good, I am pretty sure you are ok..

+1. I've got a buddy lining my "trunk-idor" and he's gonna hook me up with a digital hygro in the process.
  • BmosherBmosher Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
    The humidor is a 150 count Counter Top  with approx 80 cigars in it at the moment.  I just added another humidifier and will re check it in the morning to see if it comes up.   Thank you for the input.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Hope you get everything lined out, brother.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    bandyt09:
    +1 digital hygrometer is a sound investment.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Bmosher:
    The humidor is a 150 count Counter Top  with approx 80 cigars in it at the moment.  I just added another humidifier and will re check it in the morning to see if it comes up.   Thank you for the input.
    If you do NOT have a digital, calibrated hygrometer I would STOP adding water to that humi. You will be having molding issues next.

Take the good advice already offered and get a digital hygrometer, make sure it is calibrated and go from there. You are risking your collection right now simply because you don't know for sure what your RH is.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    laker1963:
    If you do NOT have a digital, calibrated hygrometer I would STOP adding water to that humi. You will be having molding issues next.

Take the good advice already offered and get a digital hygrometer, make sure it is calibrated and go from there. You are risking your collection right now simply because you don't know for sure what your RH is.
    All very great advice. I wouldn't worry too much until you check it with a calibrated digital hygro. My guess is that it could have something to do with the outdoor weather. Don't know where you're located but here in Ohio we went from 70 deg last week to snow and 20 deg yesterday....this has been screwing with one of my hygros.

My glass top's analog hygro on the front has been way off all winter but has been bouncing around a lot this past week. But I know all is fine because I have a digital hygro inside that I can see through the glass and it's been rock solid.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Yup sounds like a bad hygrometer, their pretty unreliable, sounds like it got jarred somehow. Definately get a digital and be sure to do the salt test in it.