Home General Discussion

cozumel question

Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
I may be going on another cruise and stopping at cozumel. Any good cigar shops there? Are the prices there about the same as the US? Anyone ever bougt any good cigars there, where did you go? We are lookimg to head towards the bahamas, virgin islands and mexico areas....any advice? Thanks

Comments

• jasonusa1jasonusa1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 729
    Rail Jockey:
    I may be going on another cruise and stopping at cozumel. Any good cigar shops there? Are the prices there about the same as the US? Anyone ever bougt any good cigars there, where did you go? We are lookimg to head towards the bahamas, virgin islands and mexico areas....any advice? Thanks
    I would just be grateful to still have my head after leaving Mexico. Although tht probably doesn't answer your question.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    In my experiences in th Caribbean is that Cuban cigars r what everyone is pushing. Most are fake so brush l on the differences. It's still especially fake Cuban still have Cuban tobacco there just not blended properly. My father in law friend went on a cruise and bought a box of cohibas the only problem was they were wrapped in cello no Cuban cigar have a cello wrapper. My advice is to stick to high end resort type places like Atlantis in the bahamas they have really nice cigar store u can also get gray cliffs cheap there. If you buy any in Mexico don't pay to much and you can't go wrong. Also if you stop at the straw market in the Bahamas they have a nice cigar shop that has the real ones and decent prices it's to the left of the straw market. The street vendors will try to sell you 3 for 15 there fake but they can be bartered with. I got one for 3 bucks cause the guy wouldn't leave me alone. Not sure if it was real but it was pretty good. Whe I went to the Bahamas I thought gracliffs would be everywhere not the case Cubans r every where so just brush up on things to look for in fakes if you google you will find a lot of links. Good luck
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Gaetano7890:
    In my experiences in th Caribbean is that Cuban cigars r what everyone is pushing. Most are fake so brush l on the differences. It's still especially fake Cuban still have Cuban tobacco there just not blended properly. My father in law friend went on a cruise and bought a box of cohibas the only problem was they were wrapped in cello no Cuban cigar have a cello wrapper. My advice is to stick to high end resort type places like Atlantis in the bahamas they have really nice cigar store u can also get gray cliffs cheap there. If you buy any in Mexico don't pay to much and you can't go wrong. Also if you stop at the straw market in the Bahamas they have a nice cigar shop that has the real ones and decent prices it's to the left of the straw market. The street vendors will try to sell you 3 for 15 there fake but they can be bartered with. I got one for 3 bucks cause the guy wouldn't leave me alone. Not sure if it was real but it was pretty good. Whe I went to the Bahamas I thought gracliffs would be everywhere not the case Cubans r every where so just brush up on things to look for in fakes if you google you will find a lot of links. Good luck
    The shops at the hotels have fakes as well. Shop only at "La Casa del Habanos".
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Not to pick a fight, Gaetano, but Graycliffs aren't cheap in the Bahamas. I was in Nassau last June and bought some right at the factory. Not only were they more expensive than CCom, but one of them had beetle damage. I suggest buying them from CCom.

I agree with you, though, on the Cubans. About 98% of the Cubans you'll encounter in the Bahamas are fakes. There are better ways to acquire ISOMs. Just thought I'd let you know.
    I agree with that but saw um at Atlantis they had espresso for 12 bucks. And I wouldn't say all hotel just sandals and Atlantis and your bigger resorts. They could be fake but the ones I got I don't believe we're.
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    Not really looking for cubans, just like to see what they have....any shops that you guys know of would help. Thanks
    I did not see much else.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Gaetano7890:
    I did not see much else.

Yeah, Graycliff's was about it, for me....
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Rail Jockey:
    Not really looking for cubans, just like to see what they have....any shops that you guys know of would help. Thanks
    Most people must be looking for Cubans when they buy cigars in Mexico, because that is mostly what they are trying to sell. There is an LCDH in Cancun selling authentic cuban cigars at a premium price, otherwise there are lots of other shops selling fake cuban cigars and not much else. If you want to enjoy good quality cigars on your vacation, bring your own. I agree with you though about going to see what they have, it is fun to walk around and check out the cigar shops.