Home General Discussion

6 year old cigars

Sonny D.Sonny D. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
I have some cigars about six years old that have been kept in cigar boxes but not a humidor. Most of them have been in a Florida three seasons room, usually very humid conditions. I was wondering if someone here could tell me if these are still good to smoke?

They're very dry, but still holding together well. One of the brands still has a nice aroma but have small pin like holes on them. Most of them have been stored without wrappers. Is there any concern over mold or mildew having contaminated the cigars? They appear to be fine. I have some of those humidifying cards that you soak in distilled water that I was thinking of using in a zip loc bag. Thanks.

Comments

• deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    Sonny D.:
    I have some cigars about six years old that have been kept in cigar boxes but not a humidor. Most of them have been in a Florida three seasons room, usually very humid conditions. I was wondering if someone here could tell me if these are still good to smoke?

They're very dry, but still holding together well. One of the brands still has a nice aroma but have small pin like holes on them. Most of them have been stored without wrappers. Is there any concern over mold or mildew having contaminated the cigars? They appear to be fine. I have some of those humidifying cards that you soak in distilled water that I was thinking of using in a zip loc bag. Thanks.
    small holes sound like you got some beeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttlllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
    deejmemixx:
    Sonny D.:

small holes sound like you got some beeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttlllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss
    and not the good kind.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    If you could post some pics we could be of better help. Welcome to the forums by the way
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Welcome to the forums, but I would suggest throwing those out right now. 6 years with no humidification and beetle holes means they're dried, infested mulch. Best to get a humidor and start anew.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    wwhwang:
    Welcome to the forums, but I would suggest throwing those out right now. 6 years with no humidification and beetle holes means they're dried, infested mulch. Best to get a humidor and start anew.

I would second this motion !!!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Throw them in a fireplace quick and torch them!
  • Sonny D.Sonny D. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info everybody. I hated to throw them out as they were some good hand rolled ceegars. The Nicaraguan ones being my favorite. But don't think I care to smoke The Beatles.  There were two that still had the plastic wrap. A La Gloria Cubano, another favorite. But rather smoke a fresh stogy than a piece of tinder.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Even without the beetles I think it's safe to say that after 6 years of un-humidified living they had lost all hope of recovery. At least you found this forum, ground zero for everything cigar!
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    6 year old cigars? Great decently aged cigars! 6 years without being humidified cigars? Sawdust. Plus holes? YIKES.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    A moment of silence for your loss Sonny..

Thank you
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Having been in Florida, the intact cigars might not be lost. Try one, see how it tastes. This is assuming that they don't all have beetle holes.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    Makes my skin crawl. Toss em'.