Home General Discussion

Cigar Aficionado Magazine

2»

Comments

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    andrewh:
    I would love to see a ccom magazine. Anything in the works?
    You should subscribe to their catalog, it's actually pretty cool.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I get CA for free for 2 years now from a reward program. I have to say it is pretty worthless IMO. I do not agree with many of their cigar ratings and hey we all have different tastes so no one will ever completely agree. The magazine caters to the extremely wealthy to the extreme. I can't afford a thing in that magazine other then the cigars. Why do I need to know about $10,000 and up watches? Some of the articles are good an informative. I for one would like to see a cigar magazine for the common man. Or a magazine that had a nice variety for all men. Throw on a $100 Invincta watch for me and price them on up.

U just signed up for the catalog here and can't wait to get it.
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    I am a subscriber and enjoy reading the different articles. I read their reviews but make my own opinion. It is interesting to read about the different cigars out there. They have an offer going right now for 2 subscriptions for the price of 1. Get a friend to half it with you and its just $10 and you both get your own magazines.
    JZ:
    I am a subscriber and enjoy reading the different articles. I read their reviews but make my own opinion. It is interesting to read about the different cigars out there. They have an offer going right now for 2 subscriptions for the price of 1. Get a friend to half it with you and its just $10 and you both get your own magazines.
    Maybe worthless was a poor choice of words as I do love reading about the cigars and manufacturers. I also do like the reviews though I tend to disagree. My entire problem with the mag is the tons of ads and the fact they seem to cater to the super wealthy.

It is not a worthless mag. It could be made better.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Not to hijack the thread, but are there any other good cigar mags out there you guys read?
    YankeeMan:
    Not to hijack the thread, but are there any other good cigar mags out there you guys read?
    Good question actually!!
  • tshawtshaw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 178
    smoke is a pretty good magazine that does not cater to the ultra wealthy, really really interesting stuff in there too. Although they do have some expensive stuff sometimes
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    Try Cigar Press, I really enjoy it, lots of great articles.
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    I bougth the latest issue of Cigar Aficianado last week at my B&M and was kind of dissapointed. It was mostly advertisements and none of the articles had anything to do with cigars. There were about five pages of reviews in the back and that was it.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    CA is good for one thing, it burns really nice when starting up a fire. I'd actually be interested to see if C.Com would be able to put out a magazine, I think it'd be pretty cool or maybe have something started up by the yahoos on these boards.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I go to Cigar Aficionado's website quite often, I participate in their CUBAN CIGAR forum and I like to read the HEADLINE news on the website... (I.e. what smoking bans have taken affect, what new cigar line-up is coming out etc.) and the MAIN articles from their magazine they post in the headlines section (I.e. I bought a CA mag about 6 months ago and it had an interview with Charles Torano... about a month ago, that some interview popped up on their website...

I do like cigar magazines quite a bit, but I do like magazines from EUROPE (there's one in german and english side-by-side and it's quite cool) The magazines from Europe have more of an un-biased opinion of Non-Cuban smokes and I do like to actually read about cubans and to see what's going on behind the "Impoverished Curtain"
  • andrewhandrewh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    Krieg:
    andrewh:
    I would love to see a ccom magazine. Anything in the works?
    You should subscribe to their catalog, it's actually pretty cool.
    I am and I love it!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    A good friend of mine gets it, and I always read it when I head to his place. It's a fun magazine to read, and before I became a member of this forum, it introduced me to many cigars I would have never tried or even heard of. Some of their ratings I disagree with (Casa Magna for instance) but many of them are right in tune with my tastes. Many of my favorites get consistent ratings around the 90-92 mark and I agree with them. Tatuaje Havana VI, Oliva Series V, Casa Torano Maduro, LFD Double Ligero, Ashton VSG, and many more score highly with them on a regular basis and I'm glad CA introduced me to them.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I also like reading the magazine, it's fun to go back and look at past issues and find that they rated cigars that you had no clue about then and actually like now.
  • MarkHMarkH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 120
    Just ordered CA this weekend using up some airline miles I would never use. That's how I keep Golf Digest coming too!