Home General Discussion

oak for cigar case?

SoddyDenizenSoddyDenizen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 19
I have a few oak strips left over from a project and I am thinking of making a small case to hold 3 or four smokes. Just a small box with a latching lid. I understand that oak is not the ideal wood for this but I already have it. Not using it for long term storage, just to take a couple with me for a day or two. Should I finish the wood on the inside or leave it bare? I was thinking of rubbing a thin coat of shellac to seal the wood on the outside since pure shellac (no additives) is safe and inert. I don't want the wood to leach moisture from the cigars even though they will only be in there for short periods of time. I am wary of using a heavy varnish or oil based finish. Opinions? Ideas? Thanks for any input!

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I don't see how that would be a problem. You said it yourself that the idea is short term storage, and for that purpose I think you'd be fine. The only thing I'd recommend, and you've probably thought of this, is to pack a water pillow with the cigars if they're going to be in there for longer than half a day...even then I don't see as that would make a huge difference. Good luck with the project, hopefully you can post some pictures when you are finished.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    j0z3r:
    I don't see how that would be a problem. You said it yourself that the idea is short term storage, and for that purpose I think you'd be fine. The only thing I'd recommend, and you've probably thought of this, is to pack a water pillow with the cigars if they're going to be in there for longer than half a day...even then I don't see as that would make a huge difference. Good luck with the project, hopefully you can post some pictures when you are finished.
    What Joe said!
  • drpepperdudedrpepperdude Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 298
    Oak is just great wood all around. I don't know anything about woodworking, but if you are going to the trouble of actually making a small "Go To" box, lining it with spanish cedar would be ideal.

If you can't, maybe buy some strips of cedar (local B&M cigar shops usually have some) and keep it in the box which will help retain some moisture for a short period of time and also give off a pleasing aroma when you open the box for a nice pre-light ritual experience.

Whatever you do, have fun with this!

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I think if the wood is only coated on the exterior and you keep cigars in there for two days the wood will draw a ton of moisture out of your wrapper leaf. Some cigars do well with this or even need this type of dry boxing treatment to burn properly but not all cigars are going to like this. I think you may want to get the humidity of the oak up near humi levels for that amount of storage time or make a good seal on the lid and put some shellac on the inside so the wood absorbs the humidity from the cigars slower. Shellac is great stuff, I don't think it will harm your cigars in two days.
  • SoddyDenizenSoddyDenizen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 19
    Thanks for the great responses! Ideally I would like cedar lining and I may try that on a future attempt. I think I will try sealing the inside with shellac and just make sure I leave plenty of time for it to dry/cure before putting anything in it. I am tinkering now with putting a small humi cube into the top to keep some moisture in there, especially since it will be spending time in my car. If it works ok I guess I will get some cedar to do it right. Thanks again!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    id do the cedar on the first attempt. if you are gunna do something, do it right.