Home General Discussion

Does anyone have any info. on this cigar...???

joshvoigtjoshvoigt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 325
Stumbled upon these at the local shop today. Owner just cracked the box and said they are from 2000. You should have seen the cello on this thing! Oh and for those who say its a fake Cuban....Its not suppose to be Cuban at all or claim to be. Never seen one and maybe someone has more info? Thanks in advance. image

Comments

• joshvoigtjoshvoigt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 325
    Oh...The band below says Republica Dominicana.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Actually, it IS a fake... kind of. These are sold all over the Dominican Republic, by the same guys peddling fake Cubans. Not to be a downer, but everything I have ever heard about these can be summed up with that old adage... Dog Rocket. In a deceptive wrapper no less.
    Interesting. The owner said these were taken off the shelves due to infringement from Cuba and from the Dominican I guess? I'm not sure its actually not a bad looking smoke. I'll smoke it at some point in time. The Cello was crazy yellow. Nothing I had ever seen.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    i will second the "Fake" vote. The band is trying to look Cuban, but it says it is from the dominican. Cohiba has never produced such a band. The old Cuban band did have round dots (now they are square) but the writing should have had at least the word Cuba. Dominican Cohibas have a red dot inside the letter "o" and are sometimes called 'red dots' to differentiate them from Cuban Cohibas.
  • greg2648greg2648 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,422
    I saw this exact band in Vegas last year. Guy was peddling them on the street. No celo. Glass top on the box.
    The owner told me these were originally pulled from shelves due to copyright infringement both from Cohiba and Cohiba Habanos. It's not suppose to be a Cuban it's a Dominican and from what I hear is 12 plus years old? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't sell knock offs as that is not really his style plus I know what he traded for the box and they are quite pricey in their own right.
    greg2648:
    I saw this exact band in Vegas last year. Guy was peddling them on the street. No celo. Glass top on the box.
    ****Greg, this box was wooden all around no glass top. It was sealed as well with the Dominican stickers and such. Inside they were all cello and yellow as can be. Probably 20 or 25 in the box.
  • greg2648greg2648 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,422
    The ones that he had said Dominican on it as well. He started by saying that they were made in Cuba for the Dominican Republic. Hahahaha.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Josh, the proof is in the smoke. Don't buy one though. Not worth the expensive experiment. If you know the shop owner well he should give you your money back if the thing tastes like total a$$. Which I think it will.

The story you were given is the same story has been told since embargo began.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Dominican Cohibas do not use that band....that band is being used to take advanatge of the real Cohiba bands even though it says Dominican...throw it out, it was rolled in a garage somewhere...
    Marker you sir are correct. It's the shop I go to all the time. I'll smoke it and see what happens I'm sure he would return my money if it's that bad. Just thought it was interesting.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    curious, what did you pay?
    jj20030:
    10 Bucks. Starting to think I got hosed. If it 12 years old that at least makes me feel a little better.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    joshvoigt:
    jj20030:
    10 Bucks. Starting to think I got hosed. If it 12 years old that at least makes me feel a little better.

Lol, okay I couldn't help this one Josh. So your willing to smoke some possible 12 year old ***, lol. I'm with Diamondog on this.
    SIGH........

Diamondog:
    sigh....
    If only I was Canadian eh!? Then I could get some of those sweet Habanos!
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    joshvoigt:
    Oh...The band below says Republica Dominicana.

A few years ago when I was just beginning to smoke an occasional cigar, I bought some "Cohibas" in Mexico that had this same band. Later, still in my education phase, I learned that about 98% - 99% of all the "Cuban" cigars sold in Mexico are fakes.

One little gap in my memory, though. I don't recall whether or if the bands had the words Republica Dominicana on them. FWIW.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Honestly, you are not sure of it's origin. Don't risk it buddy.

True very true
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    joshvoigt:
    Diamondog:
    sigh....
    Don't have to be Canadian....

Google is your best friend.
    zeebra:
    joshvoigt:
    Diamondog:
    sigh....

That's true but I don't have the Cahones to order them off the net. Risk getting some fakes or better off yet having them confiscated
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    i read DD is into cigar collecting as well as smoking , see if he will trade you that htf collectable for a box of habana habanos, sounds fair ,lol
    jj20030:
    i read DD is into cigar collecting as well as smoking , see if he will trade you that htf collectable for a box of habana habanos, sounds fair ,lol
    LMAO if nothing more it's a conversation piece ;)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    joshvoigt:
    zeebra:
    joshvoigt:
    Diamondog:
    sigh....

That's true but I don't have the Cahones to order them off the net. Risk getting some fakes or better off yet having them confiscated
    Not to get off topic, but if you buy from the right places your risk of the first concern is close to zero, on the second point...well, in 3 years I've never had a confiscation, take from that what you will. PM me if you have any questions or want a good source to check out.