Home General Discussion

Aging milds - OK, now I get it

The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
This morning, I grabbed a Park Avenue torpedo that I found in the bottom of the coolidor for Lord knows how long. Its a favorite stick, particularly in the morning. I was surprised to find it because usually when I have the Park Avenue on hand, I go thru em pretty quick.

About halfway thru the stick, a curious thing happened - ALL the flavor disappeared!!! Was still producing plenty of smoke, but it was seriously like smoking a 50 ring gauge straw! I always kinda poo-poo'd the notion that mild smokes dont improve with age, because Ive seen some that have (the Park Avenue is a prime example - the cinnamon really comes out with a couple months on it). Not sure HOW much age this one had because I didnt date it when it came in (they usually dont last long enough to worry about it), but this one apparently ahd a little too much.

Moral of the story - if you've got a mild stick you enjoy, SMOKE IT NOW! :-)

Comments

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I have some of these going on a year...would you say yours were past that point? Well-past? Now I'm nervous...but hey, I could always use an excuse...
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Probably well past Ken, pushing the two year point if memory serves anywhere near correctly. The good news for you is when I had the Park Avenue with around a year on it was when I first got the hints of cinnamon, which I never picked up when they were younger. Fire one up sometime soon for me, let me know what you think! :-)

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    You make them sound pretty good, I've been on the fence about trying some.
    I can recommend them Ricky. Good creamy flavor ROTT, a couple months only improves that too. Tons of thick smoke, and never had a burn issue. For what you can pick up a fiver for (especially if you shop around a bit), you got nothing to lose and everything to gain here brother. Just dont lose them for years at a time like yours truly. ;-)

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    The Sniper:
    Probably well past Ken, pushing the two year point if memory serves anywhere near correctly. The good news for you is when I had the Park Avenue with around a year on it was when I first got the hints of cinnamon, which I never picked up when they were younger. Fire one up sometime soon for me, let me know what you think! :-)

Actually have 17 months on them, just checked the box date, I'll have to fire one up in the very near future to see how they're doing and if I can pick up that cinnamon flavor!

Rhamlin:
    You make them sound pretty good, I've been on the fence about trying some.
    I've got 13 left in the box, if you want to work out a trade for some shoot me a PM. I'll definitely try one before I send because I don't want to trade you a bunch of straws.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Let's be fair here... the Park Avenue isn't exactly made with particularly high quality tobacco or anything, so it might not be the best example. There are plenty of mild cigars with the stones to stand up to years of aging, in some cases more. I have had Fuente Don Carlos cigars, which are definitely not more than mild-medium at most, with 6 or 7 years on them, that were as good, or better than the day they hit the shelf. It all depends on what you start with. I know guys that are in love with Davidoffs from a decade ago right now.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    For me, 3 - 6 months is about as long as is needed, cigars like these seem to peak out, and really start to lose flavor after that.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    docbp87:
    Let's be fair here... the Park Avenue isn't exactly made with particularly high quality tobacco or anything, so it might not be the best example. There are plenty of mild cigars with the stones to stand up to years of aging, in some cases more. I have had Fuente Don Carlos cigars, which are definitely not more than mild-medium at most, with 6 or 7 years on them, that were as good, or better than the day they hit the shelf. It all depends on what you start with. I know guys that are in love with Davidoffs from a decade ago right now.
    when i smoked the Avo 22 it had about 7 years on them. it was the best cigar i ever had. those were mild-medium when released.
    docbp87:
    Good point sir! I will have to take your word for it... Park Avenues sure, but I cant imagine a Fuente anything EVER getting forgotten about in the bottom of a humidor. LOL

• djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    I like to age my Black n Milds for at least 1 year. Brings out the flavors in all my cigars. :)
  • slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
    i found some 5 vegas golds in the bottom of my humi that were 5x better with a year age on them.
    djbeenie:
    I like to age my Black n Milds for at least 1 year. Brings out the flavors in all my cigars. :)
    Maybe thats the trick beenie! Ive never understood how the smoke from a Black n Mild can smell SOOOOO good, but taste like SUCH A$$.

Aging them.... yeah, thats the ticket... off to buy a small coolidor for my 10 box purchase of Black n Milds baby!!!

• djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    The Sniper:
    djbeenie:
    Maybe thats the trick beenie! Ive never understood how the smoke from a Black n Mild can smell SOOOOO good, but taste like SUCH A$$.

Aging them.... yeah, thats the ticket... off to buy a small coolidor for my 10 box purchase of Black n Milds baby!!!

++11
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    docbp87:
    Did someone mention "Stones" Always Smooth...I agree and tend not to age the less expensive sticks as much.. I do enjoy many milds like the Park Ave, AJ Virtue and the Oliva connie, good morning smokes, the San Lotano and the San Cristobal are two of my newer favs.