Home General Discussion

The blind buy

dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
So for the most part I like to smoke a particular cigar before I buy more. Sometimes though, I will just buy blind. I read reviews, read the forums, look at the descriptions, etc. and just make the decision to buy a box. I did this recently when I bought a box of My Father Le Bijou 1922 Federal corona gordas. I already bought a box of My Father Cremas but I had hear a lot of people talk about how the LBs were all pepper. So I had the first one out of the box today. Great weather today here in VA and out I went to exercise the GSDs and said stogie. It had a tight draw and did not produce much smoke. It did eventually open up as it went along. Regardless, some very nice flavor came through from the start. In fact it was delicious. So the blind buy was a hit and I am looking forward to the rest of the box.

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Did this with the Unholy Cocktail right after I got back into cigars and was lucky to hit a home run as you did brother
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Nice!!! As much as I say I won't keep doing this I...well...keep doing this. I did it just today as a matter of fact. En route to my house are some Guillermo Leon Corona Gorda's. I've been wanting to try these for quite a while, hope they're as good as your MF LBs!!!
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    I've done it with a box of Oliveros King Havano Oscuros after a suggestion from Alex. Totally glad I did.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Did this with Sun Grown label coronas. Wasn't at all disappointed, was my go-to stick last summer. One great thing about this forum is that it makes it a lot safer to do this. Beforehand, you can get to know your own preferences and read reviews, even find reviewers with similar tastes to yours. After the purchase, if you don't like 'em, you can always work out a trade (or 3 or 4...) to replace them with stuff you do enjoy.
  • taddowtaddow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 51
    Decided to buy some cigar.com Cameroon house blend.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    I have often done the "blind buy", but for somewhat different reasons. Most of my sticks are box purchases, not singles, because they are ISOM sticks. This far north, a single stick can run from $17 to $117 or more, so buying singles is rediculous. Also, the same stick of a different year may not be the same. ISOM has issues with consistency (I've been lucky, but I ofter hear of some years not being very good). If you liked a Cohiba Esplendido from 2008, then purchased a box from 2010, it just might not taste the same....not to mention the 2010 would need a couple more years or rest/age before it hits it's stride.

When I can, I try to get boxes straight from Cuba, and I have no idea what year they will be from as friends pick them up for me, and they know very little about cigars. I recently received a box of Espledidos with a box date of 2008, and my friend was "sorry they're so old!". I bought him a beer to cheer him up, lol!!!! I call it a "win - win" situation.

• y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I'm thinking I'm going to order a box of Undercrowns once my coolidor's ready. Haven't heard one bad thing about them on here. The only question is which vitola? Any suggestions?
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I did it with a box of Camacho Corojo Diplomas. :)
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    y2pascoe:
    I'm thinking I'm going to order a box of Undercrowns once my coolidor's ready. Haven't heard one bad thing about them on here. The only question is which vitola? Any suggestions?
    toro
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    BigT06:
    y2pascoe:
    toro
    Thank you, Todd.
  • slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
    y2pascoe:
    BigT06:
    y2pascoe:
    toro
    Thank you, Todd.
    you wont be disappointed
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    Just bought some of the torpedo but have not tried it.