Home General Discussion

How safe is travel to the DR

RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
Looking at a possible trip to the Dominican republic in the future, but am weary been reading up and not sure it's a good place to take the family.

Comments

• cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    All inclusive no problems. Except i was raped at the airport. Not an issue at all bro.
  • slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    About how much could I expect to pay for A all inclusive trip to that area? I've been curious about this for A while.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    This trip is all inclusive. We got a pick of 4 places this being one. It's one of those time share deals,spend 90 mins listening to their pitch. But for 500$ we get a week in the Caribbean and 2 different 4 day 3night trips in the US, with Las Vegas being one of the 4 US destinations.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I have gone many times All Inclusives and Condos...the DR is a very safe place to be with your family. I rent vehicles and travel freely...Common sense of course is needed but you will not find friendlier people...
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    Rhamlin:
    This trip is all inclusive. We got a pick of 4 places this being one. It's one of those time share deals,spend 90 mins listening to their pitch. But for 500$ we get a week in the Caribbean and 2 different 4 day 3night trips in the US, with Las Vegas being one of the 4 US destinations.
    With flights or just lodging?
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I'm certainly no expert, but it's the Haiti side that would concern me.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    From what I know DR is rather safe. It is the places below Mexico that can be a problem. DR, PR, the Bahamas are rather safe. Not completely sure about Haiti though
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    cooch36:
    All inclusive no problems. Except i was raped at the airport. Not an issue at all bro.
    I heard airport rapings were up this year.
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Rhamlin:
    With flights or just lodging?
    Just lodging, food, drink and activities.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Diamondog:
    I have gone many times All Inclusives and Condos...the DR is a very safe place to be with your family. I rent vehicles and travel freely...Common sense of course is needed but you will not find friendlier people...
    Should Probably note that driving there is a f**king sport. There are no road laws.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    stephen_hannibal:
    Diamondog:
    Should Probably note that driving there is a f**king sport. There are no road laws.

same road conditions in Nicaragua. i think i saw one stop sign in Estali.
  • Katt68Katt68 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 124
    kuzi16:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Diamondog:

I don't think I saw ANY!!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Katt68:
    kuzi16:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Diamondog:

I don't think I saw ANY!!!
    biggest car with the loudest horn has the right of way.

katt, did you stay at Hotel Los Arcos? cos if you did then you were on the same road as the stop sign.
    and the road the My Father Factory is on has a red light or two.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Driving is not an issue if you pay attention and use common sense...
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    stephen_hannibal:
    Diamondog:

One of the cars i was in while in the DR driven by Don Lucas got hit from the rear while we were waiting in traffic he was pissed but no need to get out and check what was he going to do if there was damage no laws, police , insurance.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I went to the DR two years ago... It was super nice and safe, although, it took a night to get used to armed guards roaming the beach at night.
    Maybe we'll just go to St Marteens, I'll have to read up a bit more on it.