Home General Discussion

For those of us who are new, do you research the cigar you will smoke?

2»

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The Sniper:
    Amos Umwhat:
    This is my method as well, I don't want to be biased toward a certain experience and would rather find out for myself first. Also, as someone else mentioned, the write-ups are often trying to sell you something.
    Yeah, what Umwhat said! I do the same thing for the exact same reasons... I dont want to read about hints of something or another before I smoke something and then not be disappointed if I dont experience it. Would rather let the cigar come to me so to speak, and give me what it gives.

When I was new to the hobby, I used to go do research AFTER I'd smoked something, in order to get a better handle of what I like and what I dont as far as wrappers, strengths, countries of manufacture, etc. After a while of doing that, I got a much better handle of what was likely to be a winner for me.

I try and get the cigar information(wrapper, country, blender, etc) and ask a few close BotL what they think(good, bad, or other), but I don't seek out tasting notes(floral, dried fruit, chocolate, etc) or such until after I have smoked it. It's fun to compare notes thought and see what some people pick up a flavor notes.
    Also very cool to find that what you got from it was different than what I got from it, which was different than what he got from it, which was different than what she got from it, which was different than the description you read in reviews... its JUST that kind of individual experience that makes this hobby great!

Conversely, its also why I always hesitate to recommend a specific cigar to anyone looking for something in particular from it. LOL

• SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    The Sniper:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The Sniper:
    Amos Umwhat:
    This is my method as well, I don't want to be biased toward a certain experience and would rather find out for myself first. Also, as someone else mentioned, the write-ups are often trying to sell you something.
    Yeah, what Umwhat said! I do the same thing for the exact same reasons... I dont want to read about hints of something or another before I smoke something and then not be disappointed if I dont experience it. Would rather let the cigar come to me so to speak, and give me what it gives.

When I was new to the hobby, I used to go do research AFTER I'd smoked something, in order to get a better handle of what I like and what I dont as far as wrappers, strengths, countries of manufacture, etc. After a while of doing that, I got a much better handle of what was likely to be a winner for me.

I try and get the cigar information(wrapper, country, blender, etc) and ask a few close BotL what they think(good, bad, or other), but I don't seek out tasting notes(floral, dried fruit, chocolate, etc) or such until after I have smoked it. It's fun to compare notes thought and see what some people pick up a flavor notes.
    Also very cool to find that what you got from it was different than what I got from it, which was different than what he got from it, which was different than what she got from it, which was different than the description you read in reviews... its JUST that kind of individual experience that makes this hobby great!

Conversely, its also why I always hesitate to recommend a specific cigar to anyone looking for something in particular from it. LOL

You all are starting to warm me up to this way of smoking cigars!! Without reading anything about it first. :)