Home General Discussion

Right Now

KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
"Right now I am sitting outside on my deck drinking my 3rd Gentleman Jack and coke and smoking my 1st Rocky Patel Second from Cigar.com and thinking about how all my hard work this week makes it worth while to enjoy the simple things in life, such as a good cigar and drink when I started thinking about how I started my cigar adventure, and from what I remember, the earliest I can remember smoking a cigar was from QT with a buddy of mine. It was a pure impulse buy. But funny thing is, while we were smoking the cigars (I have no idea what brand they were) we both got kinda high, lol. One thing I knew from that point on was that I loved smoking that cigar and I wanted to try more. I was a very naive cigar smoker and now I am realized how much I have learned. A large part of my knowledge coming from alot of you guys here on cigar.com/forums. So I just wanted to say "thanks" to all the guys on here that take the time out of thier day to answer questions and give advice. One of the things I have been curious about is how did you guys start smoking cigars? Was it purely by chance? Or was it something else? ps. I am sorry if this is a stupid post, but I am now on my 4th Gentleman Jack and coke ;)

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Wow, Krieg.. sounds like you're having a nice night. I'll play along. I started in college. We bought a couch for $5 and kept it out on our back porch. Sometimes, we would stop by the local B&M to buy cigars to smoke that night while we were hanging out and drinking beer. It was always a lot of fun. After college, I occassionally smoked cigars when people had them around, or would buy some cigars with buddies to smoke as a fun change of pace. I also had cigars sometimes when visiting my wife's family. She has 4 sisters, so my father-in-law and all the brothers-in-law would go out together, and sometimes have a cigar. Or we'd have a cigar playing golf.

Last spring, I was reflecting on how much I enjoyed the experience, and so I asked for a small humidor and some cigars for Father's Day. Then I hopped on here and started socializing, and I went from an average of about 5-10 cigars per year to a current average of about 2-3 per week. I just came inside after sharing a cigar with a friend. I love it. So there you go. It's a social activity that has actually grown, for me, into an activity that I enjoy even more when I'm solo.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    My Brother- in- Law, would always have a cigar with him.. Not always lit but, at the ready. He had a box of Montesinos in his van when I was helping him move and asked if I wanted one. Since he would not allow cigarette smoking in that van.. Cigarettes were a disgusting habit in his words. After that we would go to shops and compare a variety of brands and blends he stuck to milder stuff and I went medium to full pretty quickly. Two of his favorites were Beaconfield Rounds, and Fuentes Curly Heads. Can't say much for his taste of inexpensive cigars, but he did open the door for me.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    My father smokes cigars, but not regularly and not good ones. One year I bought him a box of Ashtons for Christmas and we smoked a few together. I thought they were awesome (he did too) and so every once in a while - golfing, hunting, fishing, etc. - we'd get a couple decent sticks and light up.

I started doing that more often and experimenting with different smokes. Much like Duty, my wife got me a desktop and signed me up for COTMC last summer for my berfday. Over the last 9 months, I've gone from about 6-12 a year to about 2-3 week too.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I've sort of forgot about who got me into cigars as I remember camping with a GF of mine and we both saw some "cigar" like things, not swisher sweets but along those lines. we smoked the package that night, I think there were 6 of them. then the next day we bought more. from there I smoked some black magics then her dad offered me a mac-ado. I wasn't a huge fan of it but then I thought what else is there. Then I ordered a few things from cigar.com (which now I think of it this was was several years ago). I sort of liked some of the cigars but never got any humis or anything. It wasn't until mid last year I started to really get into cigars. I actually tried a swisher sweet the other day because a friend of mine had one, and yuck! boy have I grown. I tried not to be rude but I couldn't even take another puff. though he didn't like any cigar I've given him. Not sure but maybe I'll get an acid or two for him.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I had a few cigars before, like a couple of Romeo and Juliets when I went down to the carribean and the occasional Black and Mild or Hav-A-Tampa, but nothing really serious until a few months ago. My boss (CSM) came out and offered me an Acid, a Kuba Kuba. It was the first "real" cigar I ever smoked and I was really suprised. A few days later, for Thanksgiving, this Major a friend of mine worked with asked if we wanted to smoke a couple of cigars. We went out and he gave me a Carlos Torano Exodus. Again, I was really suprised at how much I enjoyed it, so I got online and started reading into cigars and made a couple of small orders. And I am now averaging 2-3 cigars a day, lol.
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    I used to smoke black n milds and garcia vega when I was younger.I grew up in New Mexico where cigars arent much of a culture.I liked smoking them though.Then I moved to Tampa and wow!You cant help but get involved in cigar culture out here.Theres a cigar bar on every corner you gotta love this place.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Whenever I get near Tampa, or several other cities in Florida, I try and find some street rolled cigars to sample. You never know what you are going to get, but often I am pleasantly surprised. Of course, often times the vendors will tell you they are rolling Cuban Tobacco but I never believe that.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    gaberox:
    I used to smoke black n milds and garcia vega when I was younger.I grew up in New Mexico where cigars arent much of a culture.I liked smoking them though.Then I moved to Tampa and wow!You cant help but get involved in cigar culture out here.Theres a cigar bar on every corner you gotta love this place.
    cool, though i am jealous.. lucky sob!! lol
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I had always wanted to try a cigar, something about the experience seemed mystical to me. In December of '07, I was invited to go on a three day cruise to Mexico and I figured what better time to try out this "cigar smoking" than when I'm on a vacation. First day on I asked around to get a location for the cigar lounge, spent the day drinking and relaxing, then headed up to the 12th level to get a cigar. My first cigar was a Puros Indios pyramide #3, it was either a maduro or oscuro, I wouldn't have known, but whatever it was, I liked the cigar and I loved the experience. The next night was another cigar and the same the night after. After that cruise, my stance on cigar smoking was pretty much solidified, a couple weeks later I was on cigar.com and had ordered a Rocky Patel sampler that came with a 20 count humidor, I haven't looked back since.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    My brother vacationed a lot and would always bring back Cubans whenever he could get them, but he said I was too young to smoke with him. When I turned 18, me and a friend of mine got two AF Brevas from the local smoke shop to celebrate graduation. And it all goes down hill from there :).
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Dude Love:
    My brother vacationed a lot and would always bring back Cubans whenever he could get them, but he said I was too young to smoke with him. When I turned 18, me and a friend of mine got two AF Brevas from the local smoke shop to celebrate graduation. And it all goes down hill from there :).
    I had a buddy of mine who used to live in Baudette, MN. Probably not alot of you know where that is because the town in so small, but it's basically on the border of Canada, and about 100 miles away from the nearest airport...anyways...He would go into Canada all the time and get Cubans, and he sent me a couple to try. First time I smoked that cuban, I was DONE. I didn't feel like smoking anything for at least 2 weeks, LOL.