Home General Discussion

Charelston/Summerville south Carolina

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
looks like we r taking a trip to above cities this summer. Me and the wife have wanted to move here for some time. Figures we should go and check it out first in person. That Nd it will help convince the kids to want to move as well.

any botl in the area? Any good lounges? Etc....

Comments

• SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    You will love the area. I love the Charleston area for it's history. It's humid down here in the summer, but other than that, there's nothing like the south to me. I could not live in very cold places. I hope you like it enough to move there!! Come to our party in May!! Or what do you call it a Herf?????
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    I would move there with out visiting, but I am a dive head first type of guy. We will be going June or July and looks like my father in law will be going as well. I can not wait, I love history, warm weather and all that stuff. Plus there is not a smoking ban state wide :)
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Charleston is an AWESOME city, and Summerville is very nice as well. Was stationed there for several years during my Air Force days. Doesnt matter what you're in the mood for, you can find it within a short driving distance... history all the way back to the American revolution, modern club scene, fresh water fishing, good hunting, ocean trips, beaches of all types, art, dining... I would move back there in a HEARTBEAT if my daughters were close to me there.

My eldest is talking about going to College of Charleston when the time comes, so hope springs eternal. Hope you have a blast down there brother!

Well I guess the wife and kids talked when. Was at work yesterday. Looks like I will be going solo and looking at houses and hopefully have some job interviews as the family all gave thumbs up. If I get lucky and find both we will be on our way there.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I don't know of any B&Ms, but check out "The Library", downtown. It's a rooftop bar not far from the waterfront. They had some great live music going on when I was there.
    y2pascoe:
    I don't know of any B&Ms, but check out "The Library", downtown. It's a rooftop bar not far from the waterfront. They had some great live music going on when I was there.
    Sounds good! Thanks

bump in hopes someone from the area sees :D
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    deejmemixx:
    bump in hopes someone from the area sees :D

I'm not from the area, but having visited a few times, my advice would be to take some extra clothes because you may not want to leave. The time I spent in Charleston while on vacations was absolutely amazing. The culture and history of the city are mind-blowing. Undoubtedly some of the friendliest people I have ever met, which says a lot considering I've lived in 13 states courtesy of Uncle Sam. I wish you the best of luck with the job hunt and possible move.
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 729
    Scratch those. You should look into Williamsburg instead. Just sayin... Think about it. If you need I can/will gladly sell you on it. We are history playa.
    jasonusa1:
    Scratch those. You should look into Williamsburg instead. Just sayin... Think about it. If you need I can/will gladly sell you on it. We are history playa.
    start selling
    You're one hour east from Richmond. One hour west from Virginia Beach. 2.5 hours south from DC. Williamsburg is "quaint," to put it best. Great place for families, the people here are nice as hell. But if you want something a bit more up-tempo it really is a quick drive. You have airports in Norfolk, Richmond, and three more major/international airports 2-3 hours away (Dulles/Reagan/BWI).

History? Colonial Williamsburg is awesome and kept up REALLY well. Actors always in costume recreating the era - horse-drawn carriages through CW by people that don't look like crap (I.e. what you see in Philly and Central Park/NYC). Right across the street is The College of William & Mary - second-oldest college in the US (behind Harvard), and it actually has the OLDEST academic building currently in use in the country (The Wren Building). Jamestowne is right here and Yorktown is a 20-minute drive.

Regarding education, Virginia has a great list of colleges/universities, both public and private. Some really great ones too that are rather inexpensive.. Both UVA and W&M are public Unis, and were voted last year I believe #1 & #2 education for your money in the US.

For the kids, there is tons of stuff to do. Busch Gardens, Water Country, Go-Karts. Kings Dominion is only an hour away.

Cost of living is also great here, really affordable. And of course, plenty of B&Ms.

If this isn't enough to get you interested then you're crazy. Seriously though, my family and I love it here and will be bummed to move away before long.
    jasonusa1:
    You're one hour east from Richmond. One hour west from Virginia Beach. 2.5 hours south from DC. Williamsburg is "quaint," to put it best. Great place for families, the people here are nice as hell. But if you want something a bit more up-tempo it really is a quick drive. You have airports in Norfolk, Richmond, and three more major/international airports 2-3 hours away (Dulles/Reagan/BWI).

History? Colonial Williamsburg is awesome and kept up REALLY well. Actors always in costume recreating the era - horse-drawn carriages through CW by people that don't look like crap (I.e. what you see in Philly and Central Park/NYC). Right across the street is The College of William & Mary - second-oldest college in the US (behind Harvard), and it actually has the OLDEST academic building currently in use in the country (The Wren Building). Jamestowne is right here and Yorktown is a 20-minute drive.

Regarding education, Virginia has a great list of colleges/universities, both public and private. Some really great ones too that are rather inexpensive.. Both UVA and W&M are public Unis, and were voted last year I believe #1 & #2 education for your money in the US.

For the kids, there is tons of stuff to do. Busch Gardens, Water Country, Go-Karts. Kings Dominion is only an hour away.

Cost of living is also great here, really affordable. And of course, plenty of B&Ms.

If this isn't enough to get you interested then you're crazy. Seriously though, my family and I love it here and will be bummed to move away before long.

sounds like a good place to visit, I dont think I could be sold on anywhere else but the charleston area....as many have tried, me and the wife always end up spinning the map back. The weather, the beach, the night life, the music scene, nicely located to major areas for mini vacations. But I am going to do some research of my own on the area you speak of, as I love to look at other places and who knows we may fall in love with it.
    deejmemixx:
    we may fall in love with it.
    You will.
  • curtislowecurtislowe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
    There is a Tinder Box that has a decent selection on Market St that has a pretty swanky bar upstairs. I make it a must visit when I am in Charleston. I am over there on vacations at least once a year if not more and I stop by here at least one night if not more when I am in town. I work at a cigar bar north of Atlanta and I love that place. And Charleston is one of my favorite places in the US. You will love it there. Trust me
    curtislowe:
    There is a Tinder Box that has a decent selection on Market St that has a pretty swanky bar upstairs. I make it a must visit when I am in Charleston. I am over there on vacations at least once a year if not more and I stop by here at least one night if not more when I am in town. I work at a cigar bar north of Atlanta and I love that place. And Charleston is one of my favorite places in the US. You will love it there. Trust me
    I already love it, I just sent off my resume to every cigar shop that had an email. Hope to get a bite on something. would be great to take my sales background or management and put it towards something I love.