Home General Discussion

Anyone take inventory of their stash?

SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
Just wondering if there's anyone here that is so anal, or has so many stix, that they take actual written down or typed inventory of their stix? I'm fightin' the urge. Or am I weird?

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    There was a time when I had a spreadsheet, but my "Stash" is far beyond what I would call a "Stash" at this point. It's more like a closet. I have a closet, practically, dedicated to cigars. I like not having a list... makes it fun when I dig to the bottom and find something I didn't know I had, or at least had forgotten about!
  • SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    docbp87:
    There was a time when I had a spreadsheet, but my "Stash" is far beyond what I would call a "Stash" at this point. It's more like a closet. I have a closet, practically, dedicated to cigars. I like not having a list... makes it fun when I dig to the bottom and find something I didn't know I had, or at least had forgotten about!
    You have a point there!
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    I used to, that was before the cooler! Now I just try to date them when they come in.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    I can't wait till my stock gets to that point where I can go in and surprise myself
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    I do for ones that I buy, and I put a sticker on every cello with the date I got it. I also try to take notes on my thoughts about cigars ive smoked.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    taythegibs:
    I do for ones that I buy, and I put a sticker on every cello with the date I got it. I also try to take notes on my thoughts about cigars ive smoked.
    +1 I put a date on every stick and keep a dossier of my thoughts and keep the band of cigars that I smoke. I think I have around 3000+ sticks so I lose track of things purchased 3-5 years ago.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Mine are on my phone. "Rate my Cigar". I love it. Keeps inventory. How much I've paid. Vitola. Wrapper. Origin. My tasting notes (& any other notes). How long they've rested. When I enjoyed it and with what drink pairing. Picture(s). My overall rating.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    DSWarmack:
    I used to, that was before the cooler! Now I just try to date them when they come in.
    x2
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    docbp87:
    Hey Doc, want to do a trade?...Problem is, with that many cigars, what in the world would you need? LOL LOL LOL LOL
  • htm2010htm2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 28
    Agree with doc...I setup a spreadsheet once to calculate the cost and my inventory... I should never have done that. I have a walkin closet of humidors downstairs and 10 upstairs in my study. I like variety, kinda like wine and scotch.
    docbp87:
    There's proabaly a whole crap-load of Fuente too! Mmmmmm Fuente.
    htm2010:
    Agree with doc...I setup a spreadsheet once to calculate the cost and my inventory... I should never have done that. I have a walkin closet of humidors downstairs and 10 upstairs in my study. I like variety, kinda like wine and scotch.
    ...and your favorite Scotch is ???
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    I don't take inventory because I love to lose stuff in my "20 count" and finding it later; especially when I forgot I even had it. Besides, j0z3r and I get to trade stories of "lost and found" and "how long was it lost in the humidor", usually it involves 5 packs or samplers.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    kcw where in mass do u live?
    I enjoy Arbelour 12 yrs and The Balvenie Doublewood.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Making and maintaining a list sounds like work. I know what I've got, more or less, and rediscovering something I forgot about is great.
    htm2010:
    I enjoy Arbelour 12 yrs and The Balvenie Doublewood.
    I've not had either of those. The problem with Scotch is that I either really like it or I really don't, and education can be painful..
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    Bandyt had a 4 sheet Excel spread sheet once. And I've seen his stash, that was but a portion of the hoarding. Probably just his cigars for bombing and trading lists.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I did once a couple of yeara ago but I have so many now it would take days and patience which I don't have.
    Arbelour has a silky smoky taste with elements of spice and vanilla. The Balvenie Doublewood has a nutty,cinnamon with a little spice. Just drink em strait, no rocks or anything in a scotch glass. I don't drink that muxh so a bottle lasts me quite awhile,
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Salem:
    Just wondering if there's anyone here that is so anal, or has so many stix, that they take actual written down or typed inventory of their stix? I'm fightin' the urge. Or am I weird?
    I try to keep track....especially since I'm just getting into the hobby and there's so many new cigars I've never smoked, I'd rather spend $$ on something I don't have in my humi vs spending it on a duplicate of a stick I already have in stock & haven't smoked yet.

But then again I'm pretty big on impulse buys if there's a good deal on here and in that case I completely ignore my inventory list lol.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    No I stopped counting at 500. I do have them broken up into broad categories though.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I try to keep my brands together. All of my trays are filled with Viaje. Everything else is a free for all but I try to organize. The fun part is digging around later and rediscovering things you forgot you had.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    I do, I have all my sticks on a document with name, quantity, and the date it went into the humi. I'll have exactly 546 cigars once my latest orders arrive next week. Chalk one more up for the anal group!
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,471
    jsnake:
    I try to keep my brands together. All of my trays are filled with Viaje. Everything else is a free for all but I try to organize. The fun part is digging around later and rediscovering things you forgot you had.
    Trays - whole trays - filled with Viaje's?! I have 1 (one,single,uno) Viaje. That is quite impressive! As for my "inventory" most new boxes are kept in the box until they get low in supply, and I have 2 other boxes for special / rare stuff or stuff I want to age, then the rest is in a mess of bags with no rhyme or reason.
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    take inventory? sounds like work. i started smoking to help me relax. i dont even bother with little stickers with the date on em.
  • GoatmilkGoatmilk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 200
    My stash isn't large enough to warrant making a list.
    cooch36:
    kcw where in mass do u live?
    About 20 mins. west of Boston in Needham
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    My "stash" will average about 200 to 300 sticks (give or take). I used to write them down until I tried making a list from memory. What I found out is this:
    Within a stick or two, I can name every brand, the size and how many of each without a list!
    It does help that I check on the humidors and rotate the sticks about once a month and count how many I have left. That is faster and easier for me (and way more fun) than keeping a list.

I started an "online journal" of my thoughts/reviews of cigars some time ago. College sucks up all of my spare time, so I never completed it. Maybe I can find a link to what I started........aha, here it is:

cam's cigar journal

The journal is in flash, so it won't work on most mobile devices. This was just for testing animation software anyway.

• SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    camgfs:
    My "stash" will average about 200 to 300 sticks (give or take). I used to write them down until I tried making a list from memory. What I found out is this:
    Within a stick or two, I can name every brand, the size and how many of each without a list!
    It does help that I check on the humidors and rotate the sticks about once a month and count how many I have left. That is faster and easier for me (and way more fun) than keeping a list.

I started an "online journal" of my thoughts/reviews of cigars some time ago. College sucks up all of my spare time, so I never completed it. Maybe I can find a link to what I started........aha, here it is:

cam's cigar journal

The journal is in flash, so it won't work on most mobile devices. This was just for testing animation software anyway.

Awww man is that ever cool!!!! I vote you finish it!! I would NEVER know how to make such a wonderful thing. That is really, really nice.