Home General Discussion

Another bead question

SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
I took the long humidifier out of my humidor and took it apart and took the foam out. I then filled it with beads. Do you think that would be enough for my 100 count humidor? I currently have this and the remainder of a half pound of beads in the bottom of my humidor. This is keeping the RH at 67 right now. Sorry for the many beads questions. I just want to get this thing right because It's important.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    If you go to www.heartfelt.com you'll find a page that tells you how to calculate your bead needs based on the cubic inches of volume of your humi.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Ooops! Wrong website. I'll be right back.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Nothing wrong w/ 67%. I try to keep mine @ 65%-68%
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Yeah, 67% is fine, and as I think someone pointed out in your other thread about beads, you can have too few beads in your humidor, but you can't have too many. In fact, the more, the better. Having more beads than you need will only serve to help solidify the RH%. It will also help the humidor recover after being opened (come back up to the proper percentage after being open, which causes the loss of humidity). My coolerdor technically needs 3/4 lbs of beads, but I have 2 lbs in it, in four stockings, each with 1/2 lb in it (one in each corner), and It pretty much stays at 65%, rock solid, 100% of the time, even after being opened long enough for me to dig around, and be all obsessive compulsive, organizing, and reorganizing, and generally nerding out.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    docbp87:
    Yeah, 67% is fine, and as I think someone pointed out in your other thread about beads, you can have too few beads in your humidor, but you can't have too many. In fact, the more, the better. Having more beads than you need will only serve to help solidify the RH%. It will also help the humidor recover after being opened (come back up to the proper percentage after being open, which causes the loss of humidity). My coolerdor technically needs 3/4 lbs of beads, but I have 2 lbs in it, in four stockings, each with 1/2 lb in it (one in each corner), and It pretty much stays at 65%, rock solid, 100% of the time, even after being opened long enough for me to dig around, and be all obsessive compulsive, organizing, and reorganizing, and generally nerding out.
    What he said!! 67% is great, that's where I like to keep my humidity.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I bought the two 1050 dishes and each immediatley spiked me to 68 in both humidors and have held constant. I only needed one for my smaller humi as it was hanging a bit low since I brought it back to life a few weeks ago. The other had been at 65 for 6 months and it spiked to 70, then stabilized at 68. So far, I am very impressed as I had used gels before. Every time I add a significant amount of cigars I see a drop adn I judge that by filling pillows and seeing them go down quick. So...... I can't tell how much you have in that picture, but my guess is it is more than enough as my humi is not much larger and I have much less holding solid.