Home General Discussion

Would this work?

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
Not for sure if it is spanish cedar or not. If it isnt spanish will it still work?

click me

Comments

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    It looks nice you could always line it with spanish cedar, really $30 you can't go wrong.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    deejmemixx:
    Not for sure if it is spanish cedar or not. If it isnt spanish will it still work?

click me
    Probably not. Spanish Cedar is a type of Mahogany. Those boxes are likely made of a sort of aromatic Cedar and may ruin your sticks.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    laker1963:
    deejmemixx:

click me
    Probably not. Spanish Cedar is a type of Mahogany. Those boxes are likely made of a sort of aromatic Cedar and may ruin your sticks.
    the seller says when it is opened it has a cedar smell to it.....so does my desk top humidor... what do you mean aromatic? Isnt all cedar aromatic?
  • greg2648greg2648 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,422
    Spanish cedar is not cedar at all. Its not even in the same wood group. It does give off some aroma. Aromatic cedar, on the other hand, gives off alot of cedar aroma. Your cigars will absorb all of that aroma and it will overtake that actual taste of the cigar. A small amount of cedar might be ok but a whole box might ruin the taste of your cigars. The other factor is th RH. Spanish cedar will work with you humidifier and help maintain RH in the humidor. If you read reviews of cigars, most reviewers will say that a cigar has a hint of cedar. Standard cedar will give off too much cedar aroma. It will overpower the other tastes of the cigar. Line the box with Spanish cedar and you would br fine. Good luck.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    greg2648:
    Spanish cedar is not cedar at all. Its not even in the same wood group. It does give off some aroma. Aromatic cedar, on the other hand, gives off alot of cedar aroma. Your cigars will absorb all of that aroma and it will overtake that actual taste of the cigar. A small amount of cedar might be ok but a whole box might ruin the taste of your cigars. The other factor is th RH. Spanish cedar will work with you humidifier and help maintain RH in the humidor. If you read reviews of cigars, most reviewers will say that a cigar has a hint of cedar. Standard cedar will give off too much cedar aroma. It will overpower the other tastes of the cigar. Line the box with Spanish cedar and you would br fine. Good luck.
    I was thinking at first that if he were to cover the inside he may be OK. After a little thought though, I don't think it would be a good idea. Like you said Greg the standard Cedar is very aromatic and just covering it up would probably NOT stop the smell from it. I would be very cautious. Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I walked into a humidor in a tobacco shop, and I believe they used the wrong cedar. Unlike the normal slight cedary tobacco smell, I was knocked in the face with a strong pungent cedar smell that burned mu nose and made my eyes water. Almost unbearable. I did still buy a couple smokes and they were fine, but I'd stay away from using anything but the Spanish stuff.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    By the looks of the photos, I'd say it was what we used to refer to as 'Tennessee cedar'. And it is very aromatic. It's what people line their closets with in order to discourage moths. Also used for 'cedar chests' which is what the photos look like. They were used to store quilts, blankets, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't let my cigars anywhere near it.
    after talking with the seller, I will not be purchasing.... looks nice though. I want to get rid of the cooler and convert something.
  • greg2648greg2648 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,422
    deejmemixx:
    after talking with the seller, I will not be purchasing.... looks nice though. I want to get rid of the cooler and convert something.
    You might consider something made out of mahogany. You could use Spanish Cedar trays inside a mahogany cabinet. Just a thought.
    I like this one, but still think re purposing would be cool

click me
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    If you want to repurpose, look on craigslist. I found a wine cooler for $50. It has two sections, complete with their own doors. When I get done I will post pics!
  • slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
    deejmemixx:
    I like this one, but still think re purposing would be cool

click me
    I saw someone else post on here with this cooler. As soon as I get back I will be getting one. Click here http://www.naturehills.com/product/rustic_wooden_patio_cooler.aspx?utm_source=googleps