Home General Discussion

Browsed a tobacco shop yesterday

SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
I had to go out of town yesterday to the doctor. Before I went I went to Walmart and they had a ton of shops all around it. One stated it was a tobacco shop. So I said hey, why not? They actually had a walk in humidor but the shop was more devoted to cigarettes I think. Anyway, I plundered around in there because I was wanting to buy some stix so I can pay back some of the great guys on this forum for giving so much to me. However, the prices were to the moon!! So I ran right on outta there, lol!! Is this the way most cigar shops are? Or was it because it was mostly a cigarette shop? I'm in no way a cheapskate, but I thought those prices were ridiculous as compared to on line. They didn't even have any variety packs or anything like that. Is this normal, or are regular cigar shops better? I just have not been able to visit a REAL cigar shop yet.

Comments

• ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    Unfortunately you walked into a Smoke Shack, as they are called around here. At cigar shops you will normally find slightly higher prices compared to online because of the taxes and over head. While not true on all cigars it is true for majority of them. The cigar shops around here don't sell cigarettes, or variety packs. You can ask the employee and they can help come up with a different selection based on what you have liked so far.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Yep you'll usually pay more, but you get instant satisfaction plus there's lots of sticks you can't get thru a lot of the online sites because the manufacturers won't let them discount them.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Yeah, prices are usually higher across the board. I have seen a few places where sticks are cheaper than online and they can have some real good deals. I typically like a shop with only "premium" tobacco. Cigars and pipe stuff, no cigarettes.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    In general I've found even excellent cigar shops have prices WAY higher than on-line. You are paying full retail and in some cases even more. What you are also paying for is the luxury of smoking in the lounge and having access to cigars that aren't available on-line. When I go to a B&M I use the opportunity to get cigars that aren't on-line or are never on sale.
  • SheehanadamSheehanadam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25
    What are some examples of sticks to try that aren't available online? I go into some b and m's occasionally but usually just pick up the usual stuff I can get online.

Any suggestions would much appreciated!

Cheers
  • ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    If your local shop has them I suggest the JFR. correct me if I'm wrong but it stands for Just For Retailers. They can be made by the bigger names, come un banded and are usually shop specific. I may be talking out my donkey, so correct me if you have better info
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Found, B&M's to be higher, but it is nice to browse first hand at sticks, allows for you to pick up and buy right now instead of waiting!! Just flew into Naples, FL yesterday and already locating b&Ms to visit can't wait!!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Sheehanadam:
    What are some examples of sticks to try that aren't available online? I go into some b and m's occasionally but usually just pick up the usual stuff I can get online. Any suggestions would much appreciated! Cheers
    I like to roll the dice, I look for sticks I've never heard of or I've heard of them but never seen them except on people posts.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    Yes you will almost always pay more than online. But so long as it is nothing crazy then okay to buy especially a stick or two you have wanted to try out but haven't had a chance to. I like to support my local B&Ms but they also have to not be crazy high with their pricing.
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    Going to a B&M that is an Arturo Fuente distributor is a good and typically the only way to get MSRP or close to MSRP for Opus X and some other Fuente products as I understand it.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
  • SheehanadamSheehanadam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25
    kevin1323:
    Going to a B&M that is an Arturo Fuente distributor is a good and typically the only way to get MSRP or close to MSRP for Opus X and some other Fuente products as I understand it.
    Ain't that the truth. Missed the boat on Anejo Sharks this way. Oh well there's always Fathers Day!
  • SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    oldsoulrevival:
    LOVE that!!!!
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    oldsoulrevival:
    Couldn't agree more. ;)
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    oldsoulrevival:
    That's good, but it should say " I DON'T ALWAYS BUY CIGARS, BUT WHEN I DO, I USE THE BEARD".

Also, PM to you Oldsoulrevival
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
    docbp87:
    oldsoulrevival:
    That's good, but it should say " I DON'T ALWAYS BUY CIGARS, BUT WHEN I DO, I USE THE BEARD".

Also, PM to you Oldsoulrevival
    I agree, this is funnier! image