Home General Discussion

Caring for boxes when you don't have humidor space

rudel.dietrichrudel.dietrich Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
It was probably a dumb decision to order cigars that I do not have homes for. But I just couldn't pass up some good deals. I have three boxes on the way containing 60 cigars and my humidors and jars are maxed out.

How can I care for these without ruining them? Can I just leave the seal on them and keep them until I get space? Or can I open them and put 2-3 humi-care pillows in each box? All three boxes are from premium companies and are made of Spanish Cedar. They should retain moisture well. Will a couple of pillows keep them moist until I smoke them or humidor space frees up?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Unfortunately, most cigar boxes don't make a tight enough seal to store the cigars in alone. What I'd recommend from experience is to put the boxes in a large zipper type storage bag with a water pillow or two.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
    You should probably spend a couple bucks and buy either a cooler or a tightly sealed tupperware that would fit the boxes. Then toss in a Boveda pack or some crystals. problem = solved.
  • rudel.dietrichrudel.dietrich Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
    A coolidor is never going to happen. I like the idea, but my girlfriend who tolerates my habit has already said there is no possible way she will ever allow a giant cooler in the house :(

She has although, authorized the purchase of a humidor cabinet up to $1500 when finances are better. As long as the final look of the cabinet goes through her. I guess I will start to look for some air tight storage bins for my boxes and I will load up on the humi pillows and humi tubes.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Take the cigars out of the boxes, place them in baggies with water pillows. Save the boxes, when u have room in your humidor (for the boxes) you could always put them back inside. Important thing is to keep the cigars from drying out, not the box.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    j0z3r:
    Unfortunately, most cigar boxes don't make a tight enough seal to store the cigars in alone. What I'd recommend from experience is to put the boxes in a large zipper type storage bag with a water pillow or two.
    I have done this myself many times when in the same situation. Worked well for me for about a month and then had room in the Humi.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    KCW:
    j0z3r:
    I have done this myself many times when in the same situation. Worked well for me for about a month and then had room in the Humi.
    I have also used the big ziplock bags and put the whole box inside with the humi pillow. It will keep them for a wee while.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    rudel.dietrich:
    A coolidor is never going to happen. I like the idea, but my girlfriend who tolerates my habit has already said there is no possible way she will ever allow a giant cooler in the house :(
    Dump her.
  • chemforeverchemforever Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,200
    y2pascoe:
    rudel.dietrich:
    Dump her.
    well I vote keep her, she agreed to a cabinet after all!
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    What Joe suggested is exactly what you should do... but it is a short term solution only.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    For $75 - $175 you can find some very nice 100 to 300 count humidors. ccom has this one advertised for under $200, (it's a 300 count box) and I bet the beard can make you a deal on it.

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    docbp87:
    What Joe suggested is exactly what you should do... but it is a short term solution only.
    Not really, I've had boxes in ziplocs with a Boveda pack for months with zero issues. Just a matter of providing proper care, as always.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    rudel.dietrich:

She has although, authorized the purchase of a humidor cabinet up to $1500 when finances are better. As long as the final look of the cabinet goes through her. I guess I will start to look for some air tight storage bins for my boxes and I will load up on the humi pillows and humi tubes.
    Sounds pretty unreasonable to me, at least as a temporary solution. Theres a reason why so many of us have em (coolers). To each their own good luck with that.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    The Kid:
    rudel.dietrich:

Sounds pretty unreasonable to me, at least as a temporary solution. Theres a reason why so many of us have em (coolers). To each their own good luck with that.
    She probably has visions of comming home one day to find coolidors all over the house, under the stairs, in the bathroom, with a six-pac on top of every one.