Home General Discussion

Mexico in Feb.

Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
Heading down to Playa del Carmen the second week of February. Really excited to get on a warm beach and relax! I searched the forum and picked up a few hints on purchasing cigars there. I was thinking of bringing my travel humi and a few of my own because what I have read so far does not look promising. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I'm intersted myself, I may be heading there in April. I've never got my ISOm cherry broke and I hear they can be amazing, but premiums here can be just as good. From my research, stick with the cuban run shops...can't remeber the name but I'm sure someone will chime in. I figure I'll fill my herf, take sticks with me, and take them back...with the same badges and see what happens. I'd imagine if you get greedy they'll get you. Either way, I know I'll hit up the shops and stay away from the beaches and tourist areas.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    La Casa del Habano, stick with that for forbidden fruit.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Yeah... Don't buy CCs in Mexico unless it is at a La Casa Del Habano.
  • Smoke ShowingSmoke Showing Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14
    I would definitely bring your own cigars. I've gone to Playa del Carmen twice this past year and brought my own cigars with me both times and I'm very glad I did. I am by no means an expert on CC's and would rather smoke a cigar I know is going to be good than take a chance at being ripped off. I bought a 3 pack of Montecristos last April at the La Casa del Habano and the one I smoked right away was very harsh, not to mention the 3 pack cost about $90. If I remember correctly their humidor is not much of a humidor either. Also, the only other cigars that I saw being sold in Playa del Carmen are Mexican cigars. There are a couple Cigar Factory stores which roll on site and sell their own brand, Lauro's. I bought a couple and smoked one down there and I wasn't impressed at all.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Have a great and safe trip. Besides that I have 0 input that hasn't already been provided
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    docbp87:

Thanks for the suggestions! If I were to theoretically buy a CC at an LCDH, what would a good choice be? I was thinking the new 1966? But then again that may be $70 a stick and out of my price range. Anything else that might be good out of the shop?
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    casa del habano is great for isoms, but if you keep walking up the main street, there is a little cigar shop. cant remember the name, but their humidor put the casas to shame! huge walk in, air conditioned with revolving wood doors. enormous selection (at least double of the casas) and the guy who worked there was great, didnt hound you and tell you what to buy. all authentic, great selection, priced decent too. probably one of the best walk in humi's ive seen.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Roberto99:
    docbp87:

Thanks for the suggestions! If I were to theoretically buy a CC at an LCDH, what would a good choice be? I was thinking the new 1966? But then again that may be $70 a stick and out of my price range. Anything else that might be good out of the shop?
    Honestly, you're going to be smoking young cigars probably, so for my money, the brands that do well younger are Trinidad, H. Upmann, Partagas, and Bolivar. These are also marcas that smokers of Non-Cuban cigars will probably find more accessible from a palate stand point. Cuban cigars, even those considered "Full bodied" are significantly milder, and lighter in strength and body than the current blending trends in the Non-Cuban market. Partagas and Bolivar are particularly fuller as CCs go. As for particular sizes... Trinidad Robusto T, Bolivar Petit Corona, Bolivar Royal Corona, Partagas Lusitanias, Partagas Serie D. No 4, Upmann Magnum 46, Upmann Magnum 50... Just my $0.02
    docbp87:
    Roberto99:
    docbp87:

Honestly, you're going to be smoking young cigars probably, so for my money, the brands that do well younger are Trinidad, H. Upmann, Partagas, and Bolivar. These are also marcas that smokers of Non-Cuban cigars will probably find more accessible from a palate stand point. Cuban cigars, even those considered "Full bodied" are significantly milder, and lighter in strength and body than the current blending trends in the Non-Cuban market. Partagas and Bolivar are particularly fuller as CCs go. As for particular sizes... Trinidad Robusto T, Bolivar Petit Corona, Bolivar Royal Corona, Partagas Lusitanias, Partagas Serie D. No 4, Upmann Magnum 46, Upmann Magnum 50... Just my $0.02
    Thanks a ton Doc! I have a little experience with this so your explanation really makes alot of sense to me.
    NightHawk:
    casa del habano is great for isoms, but if you keep walking up the main street, there is a little cigar shop. cant remember the name, but their humidor put the casas to shame! huge walk in, air conditioned with revolving wood doors. enormous selection (at least double of the casas) and the guy who worked there was great, didnt hound you and tell you what to buy. all authentic, great selection, priced decent too. probably one of the best walk in humi's ive seen.
    Gracias Senor! I will look for this shop!
    Made it back from vacation. It was great weather and great times. I didn't realize that PdC is the fastest growing city in North America. Someone told me that it is something like 250,000+ population now. There is even a double decker highway going through town. First time I was there, it was a fishing village with many dirt roads and small shops. Still a great town though, have always preferred it to Cancun. I took some pictures for you all to enjoy on the forum. Will try to get them up in the next day or two.
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 84
    Thought you might enjoy this photo, the peddlers were all over the beach with these. I just took pictures, didn't buy! He was asking $50 LOL! How many clues are in/on this box that tells you these are fake?
  • Andrew DzikoskiAndrew Dzikoski BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 338
    Check out the CA counterfiet page they have some good points on spoting fakes. http://www.cigaraficionado.com/counterfeit
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    Roberto99:
    Thought you might enjoy this photo, the peddlers were all over the beach with these. I just took pictures, didn't buy! He was asking $50 LOL! How many clues are in/on this box that tells you these are fake?
    looks good to me. I have 2010 and 2011 of those.
    A little blurry in the photo but it was an awesome stick
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I know that stick.. Best Robusto ever.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Enjoy Mexican food, diverse culture and CC as much as you can. A friend bought a box of Behike and Romeo Julieta wide Churchill from the LCDH. Stick with LCDH then nothing to worry about.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Most probably Partagas D no.2- not bad if it has some years of aging.