Home General Discussion

Got my new humidor!!!

SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
Fedex just delivered my new humidor a few minutes ago. I think it's a nice looking one if I do say so myself. lol! Now I've got to season it and it will be ready to go! It's 100 count. imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    That looks beautiful, nice choice! One word of advice, when you moisten the humidifier make sure it isn't dripping at all before you close the lid, you don't want your cigars getting dripped on. Looks great!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Moisten? I guess my squirrel senses are out of the loop...

Anyway, nice looking humi you have there, I love the leaf... reminds me of raccoon mario from mario 3. Wish I would have saw this thing a few years ago, would've got it.
  • SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    phobicsquirrel:

Anyway, nice looking humi you have there, I love the leaf... reminds me of raccoon mario from mario 3. Wish I would have saw this thing a few years ago, would've got it.
    I love the leaf too, reminds me of working in tobacco when I was growing up. I had originally wanted 2 others but they were sold out when I tried to buy them, so I chose this one. I'm glad because now I think this one beat them hands down.
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    Id get rid of that block humidifier asap. those things SUCK. get either gel or beads. just my advice... those blocks just dont cut it.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    Very nice choice! I've actually been eyeing this one out myself....given all that has transpired the past couple of days, be sure to show us a pic by the end of the month...my guess is it will be full... ;-)
    CvilleE:
    Very nice choice! I've actually been eyeing this one out myself....given all that has transpired the past couple of days, be sure to show us a pic by the end of the month...my guess is it will be full... ;-)
    I'd love to fill that sucker up! lol!!
    Ok, I followed the directions in the humidor. Here's what I've done so far, tell me what else I need to do. It stopped at these directions:

I'm calibrating the hygrometer with the kit they sent. It will take about 2 days.

I put some distilled water in that long, black humidifier and stuck it to where it was to go.

I put distilled water in a shot glass and put it in the bottom of the humidor and closed it. It will sit for about a week until it is at the desired level on the hygrometer.

Now is this it? If so, how do I Keep it humidified properly? They also sent a Boveda bag. They did not say what to do with it. I know what they are for, so do I throw that into the humidor too?
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    I got my Rocky Patel humidor from a different site and it didn't come with any directions so I just looked at different videos on Youtibe and ended up doing the wipe down method. I was originally using the foam humidifier along with two of the 2oz. gel jars and it was keeping humidity at around 72% which is what a lot of the stuff out their says is ideal. After joining here though I found most people prefer and like the results of about 65% so I removed the brick humidifier, which was recommended as well due to the possibility of mold, and just use the two gel jars now. Since then it has been right around 65% consistently which has been over a month now.

I've had the jars since I got the humidor in October and just re-filled them the other day for the second time and they're still going strong. Whenever I do get a coolidor going I'll get beads for it but for the 100 count humidor the two jars have been working great. All of the brand humidors like my Rocky Patel, the Man O' War and the 5 Vegas ones are basically the same humidor as yours just with the different art work. I've been very happy with mine and I'm sure you'll like yours too and looking forward to seeing it all seasoned and full of cigars.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    phobicsquirrel:
    I have one of those, I took the puck out and filled it with beads. That's what I meant, saturating beads and making sure no distilled water is dripping out when you put it back.
    This is an "imperfect" humidor, which means it has a cosmetic imperfection somewhere, but I've yet to find an imperfection and I've checked it up one side and down the other.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Krieger:
    Id get rid of that block humidifier asap. those things SUCK. get either gel or beads. just my advice... those blocks just dont cut it.
    + 1 You can also try the Boveda packs, which is what I use..Very nice looking humidor, classy
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    The Kid:
    Krieger:
    + 1 You can also try the Boveda packs, which is what I use..Very nice looking humidor, classy
    x2
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the life. Smile [:)] One word of advice, don't be in a rush to fill it up, that will happen quickly enough on its own and you might just fill it with cigars you want to smoke 6 months from now.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    What number is on the boveda bag? Should be either a RH maintenance bag (either 65, 69, or 72) or a seasoning bag (84). We need to know that to tell you how to use it...

if its a seasoning kit, put it in now. If its a RH bag, put it I think after the humi has been seasoned to help maintain RH.
    BigT06:
    What number is on the boveda bag? Should be either a RH maintenance bag (either 65, 69, or 72) or a seasoning bag (84). We need to know that to tell you how to use it...

if its a seasoning kit, put it in now. If its a RH bag, put it I think after the humi has been seasoned to help maintain RH.
    The bag is an 84.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Salem:
    BigT06:

The bag is an 84.
    go ahead and put it in there. Its designed to help properly season a new humi. Remove it before adding cigars, though. Its seasoning only. I would advise getting a few 65% or 69% Boveda package to use for humidification, though. They are the most trouble free way, and easier than beads if you have never used beads before.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Nice looking piece. The hygrometer should only take a day to salt test. And as soon as you can get a new type of humidifier be it beads , gel or boveda pack anything but what came with your humi they are breeding grounds for mold.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Very nice, love that leaf, otherwise it's exactly one that my wife got me. About the "imperfection", check the sealing capability, just in case. Looks great!
  • e6specialke6specialk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 216
    Great looking humidor. Can't wait to see what you put in it. I would recommend a digital hygrometer also.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    Nice. Another thing I would insist on is to get a digital hygrometer. I along with many others, don't trust the analog ones

Ok, ditch the humidifier that came with it and go with Bovada packs, or beads, and pitch the hygrometer and get a digital, right? Ok. I sure don't want molded cigars! I wish I would have made those upgrades when I ordered. It gave you a chance when you ordered to upgrade, but you know how ignorance is. Even though I probably read these things before, you don't always remember them because you're trying to learn so much. Information overload I guess. Thanks guys for the info!
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Krieger:
    Yes, definately. I like the humidity beads, and this is one of my humidification devices, and would be perfect for your application. See Heartfelt Industries.

I'd also advise using a digital hygrometer. I use a Western Caliber II, I've had it at least 6 years, and it has been very reliable. You can pick them up for around $20. Well worth it in my opinion.

• slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
    I have the same exact humi, use the same exact jars of humigel, and I too love this setup
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    bigharpoon:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I have one of those, I took the puck out and filled it with beads. That's what I meant, saturating beads and making sure no distilled water is dripping out when you put it back.
    I did the same thing. The back pops off the Humidifier and I filled mine with beads as well. Works Great but, Like B.Harpoon said, you have to make sure it doesn't drip on the smokes.
    bigharpoon:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ah, gotcha.
    JDH:
    Krieger:
    Yes, definately. I like the humidity beads, and this is one of my humidification devices, and would be perfect for your application. See Heartfelt Industries.

I'd also advise using a digital hygrometer. I use a Western Caliber II, I've had it at least 6 years, and it has been very reliable. You can pick them up for around $20. Well worth it in my opinion.

nice hygro, how long does the battery last?
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    phobicsquirrel:
    JDH:
    Krieger:

nice hygro, how long does the battery last?
    I just replaced it for the first time a few months ago. I've had it since '06.
    I'm afraid the digital hygrometer will have to wait for awhile. I will be in the doghouse if I buy something else. lol!!!
  • slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
    Salem:
    I'm afraid the digital hygrometer will have to wait for awhile. I will be in the doghouse if I buy something else. lol!!!
    But you will be in the doghouse with plenty of cigars to smoke ;) haha
    Nah, he just thinks that with the purchase of the humidor,& lighter that's enough. Oh, and I bought lots of collector coins last month, so I gotta get back a little. I'll get it next month, with cigars to give away I hope.