Home General Discussion

What makes a good cigar to you?

SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
Just wondering, in your own personal opinion, what makes a good cigar? What flavor, the way it smokes, the tastes, etc.? And if you have one, what IS your favorite cigar?

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Balance in strength and flavor, and performance (burn, etc.). I don't care what the flavors are, so long as they are intense but balanced.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    This could be a long thread!! But for me...its that medium-full and well balanced. The Havanna VI , the Undercrown, Nub Havanna 464, Oliva Serie V, Ave Maria, My Father, 5V Miami, Padialla Miami 8/11, Undercrown...all come to mind. Those are my fav smokes! The list can go on and on!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    complexity.
    depth of flavor
    a good roundness
    something different than "most" cigars
    solid construction

most importantly: the people that i smoke that cigar with.

• lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    jr_p951:
    This could be a long thread!! But for me...its that medium-full and well balanced. The Havanna VI , the Undercrown, Nub Havanna 464, Oliva Serie V, Ave Maria, My Father, 5V Miami, Padialla Miami 8/11, Undercrown...all come to mind. Those are my fav smokes! The list can go on and on!!
    Did you smoke the 8/11 lancero I gave you? If so did you like it?
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
    Several things need to be present: good flavor, good construction, and good aroma.

Flavor: I like pepper, cream, leather, earthy, cocoa, chocolate, etc. I prefer smokes with high complexity, and perfect balance. I don't smoke often enough that I just burn through a cigar without thinking about it, so I really like to smoke cigars that I can challenge my palate, or at least appeal to the whole range of flavors I enjoy.

Aroma: It needs to smell good before and during the smoke. I've had some that were too sweet, or two "cigarette-ish" and I couldn't stand it.

Construction:
    1) Wrapper needs to be in tact and well made. I don't want to see any pealing before I even smoke.
    2) While I am smoking, I don't want to see any unraveling either
    3) I want an even burn... it doesn't have to be a razor, but I don't want to have to keep touching it up.
    4) Needs to stay lit - this is one of the biggest buzz kills for me
    5) Cannot get too hot near the end - I like to smoke cigars till they are too small to hold.
    6) The draw needs to be effortless and produce a lot of thick, luscious smoke.

Favorite cigar of all time:
    Padron 1926 Maduro Torpedo or #1

Other Favorites:
    Arturo Fuente Hemmingway
    La Aurora Preferido Maduro
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    Balance and consistency.....love cigars that put out a nice aroma as well...
  • IrishAJIrishAJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 135
    Definantly a sweeter taste on the wrapper for me. I truly enjoy the CAO infused of any kind. I don't really like a high heat in the smoke (I have a cat's tongue so it hurts if its really hot), easy draws too.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Salem:
    Just wondering, in your own personal opinion, what makes a good cigar? What flavor, the way it smokes, the tastes, etc.? And if you have one, what IS your favorite cigar?
    One that makes me say "wow" or "mother of God" out loud. Those are my criteria. Favorites are in my Bio.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Slightly tight draw that produces a bunch of smoke
    Good full flavor that makes my mouth water
    Changing flavors that I can pick up on
    Good solid construction and a straight burn
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Pretty much this:
    kuzi16:

And this:
    Russ55:
    One that makes me say "wow" or "mother of God" out loud.

In that order

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I like a cigar that just seems to coat your tongue with different sensations and when you exhale thru the nose you can feel it and pick up on a different flavor.But there are times I like a nice mild stick that's smooth with subtle flavor.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    What makes a cigar good?

Let's see, not smelling or tasting like gasoline is always good. Not having the wrapper come off while I'm enjoying it is always good. Being able to get some smoke out of it without having to turn into a human vacuum cleaner is always a plus. I like to be able to at least taste SOMETHING, except the gasoline thing; some cigars are so weak and bland that it's like re-cycling air through a tobacco filter. I would avoid these whenever possible.

A good cigar should not burn as fast as a speeding bullet. I swear, I've had some cigars that burned up so quick that it seemed like two minutes after I fired the head it was already at the halfway mark. This is not a good thing.

If you're with me and I'm smoking a good cigar, I'm liable to say something like "Jaysus that's really fookin good", right out of the blue, and then I might not say anything else for a half hour, but I'll have a little sly grin and a sparkle in my left eye (my right eye will be dead-eye serious). If I'm smoking a realy great cigar, I might not shut up about how great it is until I'm finished, or until whoever I'm with tells me to shut up already, whichever comes first.
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 225
    well...... Flavor is important although I am just developing my profile there. A good burn is the most important. (I dont like t F with a cigar once i light it) A beverage helps to enhance things as well. My favorite part is the downtime that i take to smoke. I live a busy life and the 3 or so sticks that i enjoy each week are my way of stopping everything to have some time to enjoy, reflect and relax.
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    Good cigars stay lit, burn well, have really defined tastes that make you say "wow" or tastes that dance in and out and change up on you, like the LP9 that starts with pepper, moves to a chocolaty maple syrup to me, some nuts, more pepper, sweet cedar. It's all over, and comes in spades. I LOVE that.

but even a crap cigar can be Ok if smoked with the right company.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Smootheness (I don't like the cigar to "bite")
    Med-Full Body
    Intoxicating Aroma
    Lots of smoke
    It has to perform: Burn, Draw, etc.
    Cutting & Lighting it well.
    A nice long finish (that I don't want to go away)
    It has to look awesome too. (I love figurados / Perfectos)

A.F. Anejo #50 (I know its not a Figurado).
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    For me, it's the flavour profile. I want a cigar that's going to keep me awake, give me that feeling of 'loving the smoke', and is complex enough to change as it smokes. I refer to such a cigar as one that tells a story as you smoke it.
    I can put up with re-lighting such a cigar because it's just that good. One that comes to mind as being that good but might need a re-light is the Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios (and the Cohiba Sublimes). They do go out sometimes, but they are some of the best tasting cigars I've ever smoked.

• RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    The flavor profile is the most important factor to me. Whats the use in smoking A strong cigar if it taste bad? As for A favorite, there's no one cigar I can call my favorite simply because there's to many great ones out there.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    The people that are with you.

When I smoked with Rick (RCYcigar) in Germany, he gave me an LP9 to try and it was the best damn cigar I'd ever had. He gave me two more to carry with me (among the 50-60 others). When I got a chance to smoke one of the ones he'd bestowed upon me it just wasn't the same when I smoked it by myself. Smoked my last one with a good friend and there was the awesomeness all over again.

so in my eyes its the company, then the flavor profile, then size (due to my short attention span).
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    bandyt09:
    Pretty much this:
    kuzi16:

And this:
    Russ55:
    One that makes me say "wow" or "mother of God" out loud.

In that order

Bingo bango