Home General Discussion

Bad Burn

mikeg78mikeg78 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
I bought some Rocky Patels and loved them. So I bought a box. The first one out of the box burned down the center and ruined the cigar. Has this ever happened to anyone.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    yes. you are smoking to slow.
    that or there is too much humidity only on the outside of the cigar.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Or it's a Rocky POOPtel.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    docbp87:
    Or it's a Rocky POOPtel.
    Now THAT was funny!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I've had something similar happen and it wasn't really anything I did wrong, just a construction anomaly. Did you get a small tunnel, perhaps the size of a bb burning an inch or more beyond the burn line?
  • GoatmilkGoatmilk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 200
    When I first saw the title of this thread I was going to suggest you consult a doctor.............................As for the cigar I've never experienced that.
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    smoking too slow. If you dont keep the pace pretty even, the center goes out a bit, so it doesnt burn the wrapper... so each puff just slowly chips away at the binder and filler and not the wrapper, altering the taste. I tend to puff once every 10-15 seconds on cheaper or newer cigars, but a REALLY well made stogie can handle a puff every 45 seconds or so pretty easily. You want as slow as you can for the cool smoke, but you need to keep the heat above a certain point or you get what your experiencing, tunneling.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    I've had the same issue with RP cigars. Got some from a local B&M and they were fantastic, so I ordered from ccom. To be honest, the ccom Rocky Patels do not compare to what I got locally at all. So many of them have burn issues due to hollow centers, soft spots and just plain bad construction. The only Rocky stick I would think of ordering now is the Sungrown. I used to love the vintage 1990 and 1992, but construction issues have turned me off them completely.

• RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    Sounds like A Rocky issue to me. I've had several in different lines with the same problems. I think that they are prone to rushing production sometimes. The humidity probably has not had time to equalize. You might try letting them rest for A while. Sometimes this can help. That's why the cigars from your local shops burn better, they've had time to rest A spell in near perfect humidity.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Man, I'm amazed to hear all this. I can't remember ever having a burn issue with any Rocky Patel cigar I've ever smoked. In fact, I've come to look on RP as the epitome of a good burn. I may not be in love with all his blends but I love the burn.

Now, if we were talking Gurkhas I might agree, but RP - uh uh. And I've got a handful of 'em on hand as we speak and I look forward to burning 'em.
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    jlmarta:
    Man, I'm amazed to hear all this. I can't remember ever having a burn issue with any Rocky Patel cigar I've ever smoked. In fact, I've come to look on RP as the epitome of a good burn. I may not be in love with all his blends but I love the burn.

Now, if we were talking Gurkhas I might agree, but RP - uh uh. And I've got a handful of 'em on hand as we speak and I look forward to burning 'em.

Ditto. His box pressed sticks are the epitome of razor straight burns. Odd. Maybe his newer stuff is slacking?
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
    I bought some RP Decades last week, and they were some of the worst burning cigars I've ever had. Not only did I have to relight it 6 times, but it burned inconsistently and needed touching up. Flavor was great, but frankly, the smoking experience was so awful that I am hesitant to ever buy a RP again. The guys I was with had the same problems.