Home General Discussion

The Corona size

dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
You know I am normally a Toro or Torp/Beli guy but lately have enjoyed some corona gorda sizes. I also recently got some Coronas in as everyone seems to love them. But after smoking a few I just find the size is just too small for me. Like some of my ex's have said,"Well size matters and well yours is just too..."
:-)
So I will probably not buy any more Coronas and stick with the Corona Gorda (and larger).

Comments

• RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    What do you have in that size that you don't want anymore? I will be more than happy to get them from you. PM incoming....
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Corona gordo is my favorite size.

Just remember, it's not the size of your hammer, it's the nail you're throwing it at!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    just remember: there is a learning curve to smoking the small ring gauge cigar. dont discount them all together. just put them on hold for a while. try again in a year or two. maybe that will change in the future.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    dowjr1:
    You know I am normally a Toro or Torp/Beli guy but lately have enjoyed some corona gorda sizes. I also recently got some Coronas in as everyone seems to love them. But after smoking a few I just find the size is just too small for me. Like some of my ex's have said,"Well size matters and well yours is just too..."
    :-)
    So I will probably not buy any more Coronas and stick with the Corona Gorda (and larger).
    The corona gorta is my favorite size. If it were up to me, every single cigar line would include a 6" x 46 cigar. If you want to trade for some corona gortas, just let me know.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    RCY Cigars:
    What do you have in that size that you don't want anymore? I will be more than happy to get them from you. PM incoming....
    LOL, I was going to say the same thing. If you have anything left over, particularly anything from the A.J. corona samplers that you don't want anymore (i.e. Diesel, any of the MOWs, LHCOF etc) let me know - I'd be glad to work up a trade with you.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I find that an average corona last me about an hour to hour and 1/2, I agree with Kuzi try them later. I find the corona or corona grande are the best way to truly appreciate a blend.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Holy S^%$ if one more person misspells corona gorda... lmao...

Personally, 50 is about as large a ring gauge as I like to smoke, and my preference is significantly slimmer, usually in the panetela realm (around 38).
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    Yes I am with you on the 50 ring max...beyond that I am not interested. I just have a limit on the other end of the scale as well.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    docbp87:
    Holy S^%$ if one more person misspells corona gorda... lmao...

That's funny! I must have opened up 15 different cigars on the Brand List page looking to see if I spelled it correctly...not one of them had that as a size. They all had their own personal word for it...oh well, that was my best guess. Only missed by one letter, though lol.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Yeah, I'm just messing around (and a bit anal retentive). Corona gorda really isn't a very popular size with manufacturers, and I'm not sure why. It's a great size. Gives you some of the benefit of a smaller ring and a little more length, without being uncomfortably small for those who don't like thin rings. It's a classic Cuban size (albeit one that there aren't enough CCs made in anymore either).
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    Coronas are my favourite vitola. I wonder why more lines aren't offered in that size. Anywhere from 5-5.5 inch with a ring gauge of 40-45 works for me since I smoke slower and they usually last an hour, if not more.
    docbp87:
    Yeah, I'm just messing around (and a bit anal retentive). Corona gorda really isn't a very popular size with manufacturers, and I'm not sure why. It's a great size. Gives you some of the benefit of a smaller ring and a little more length, without being uncomfortably small for those who don't like thin rings. It's a classic Cuban size (albeit one that there aren't enough CCs made in anymore either).
    Yea, what he said. One thing about me is that I can misspell my own name - actually, it's usually just bad typing, you know, big fat fingers hitting too many keys or wandering around all over the keyboard instead of where they're supposed to go. Undisciplined little bastids, that's for sure.
  • pbchevopbchevo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 712
    ive been liking coronas and smaller ring gauge cigars also lately, bought a partagas black tin to try out
    allsmokedup:
    Coronas are my favourite vitola. I wonder why more lines aren't offered in that size. Anywhere from 5-5.5 inch with a ring gauge of 40-45 works for me since I smoke slower and they usually last an hour, if not more.
    Because Americans like big big big big big, whatever it is it's gotta be big, so the larger ring sizes are driving the American market.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    wanted to chime in myself here with a slightly different take on the whole best size debate. I think the blend drives the best tasting size, not the other way around. The trick for me is finding the right size for each cigar that I enjoy. I've been experiementing with thinner ring cigars for the past year was put off at first after a few bitter experiences (user error I know, but I tried, and it wasn't worth the patience for me) until I had the Oliva V lancero and a Tat Miami - Havana Cazadores size I think (it was around 6-6.5 and probably a 42 ring). Those two cigars opened my eyes to the fact that some blends really shine in thin ring cigars and it was worth it to slow down and get patient.

Same with the over 50 crowd too. The super thick ring cigars have a little bit of a bad rap becuase their trendy right now, and thats true, and I've never had a Diesel Corona, but I gotta say the two belicosos (D.x and the UHC) just feel like they we're blended specifically for that size. So I would argue that I'd even if I had a thinner ring version sitting right next to it, I'd still rather pull the original size.

So even though I find that I gravitate towards the Corona Gorda size being my favorite, with close seconds being robustos and stout belicosos as long as its not too fat, I'm rethinking the whole process and trying that perfect size for each blend that I enjoy becuase for me I'm really learrning that for my tastes the blend drives the size, not the other way around.