Home General Discussion

Do you guys stick to a few cigars or try as many as you can?

SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
I'm just curious, do you guys try as many cigars as you can in that ultimate quest to find the best cigar, or just to try and smoke as many different ones you can? Or do you find what you like and pretty much stick to it. I'm just curious about you guys, lol!! Seems to me that you are a variety bunch. And a great bunch you are!!

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I keep trying ones I haven't tried before looking for that one great flavor that I'll make my regular smoke.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    My entire coolidor is singles. I kept buying samplers when I first started and just never looked back.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    These cigars will never leave my rotation:

JdN DC
    Undercrown
    Tatuaje Havana VI
    San Cristobal
    MoW Puro Authentico

those are my go-to cigars. I smoke them every week. Some every day, actually. I smoke a lot though, so I get to try a lot of new cigars. Always love trying new stuff.

I also like trying stuff recommended to me by the forum members. Hell, I've bought whole boxes of cigars (2 boxes of el Titan de Bronze Redemption maddies and a box of AVO Heritage) based on RCY's suggestions. lol
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    My humi is filled with singles (90% havent tried), one cooler is for singles, and the other cooler is for boxes of what I love. The more diff cigars I find that I really like, the more boxes I get. The more boxes I get, the longer other boxes can age. It's a ll a Win.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    At one time it was my goal to try every cigar in existence. After a few years the impossibility of that became apparent. Well, it was apparent after a few months, but after trying for a few years I found that I had developed my palate a bit, and I knew more about what I liked, and wanted in a cigar. Now I am super picky about what new cigars I try, and buy. I'm no longer trying to try them all.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i do both. i try new stuff all the time but i will always have a few of my favorites in the humidor. over the last few years i have made sure to have the following on hand at all times:
    JdN Celebracion, LFD Airbender chisel, Avo Domaine, Davidoff 2000, Davidoff Maduro, 5 Vegas AAA, MoW Armada, and LFD DL Maduro Chisel.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    I'm alot like what Kuzi said. I do both, but I probably stick to what I like about 75% of the time while trying new things the other 25% of the time.

My constants are the Don Pepin Garcia Blue, Don Pepin Garcia Black, Diesel Unlimited D.x, Diesel UHC, La Gloria Cubana Original Sumatra and Tatuaje Havana VI. But every year I try to try a dozen or two new things despite sticking mostly to what I know I like and because of that, this past year I've found a few new favorites that I will begin stocking up on in 2012 once the cigar budget is set and the buying begins. Those are the Camacho Diploma, Avo Domaine, Liga Privada Under Crown, Tatuaje Brown and Alec Bradley American Classic.

When I try new things though I tend to follow certain blenders or flavor profiles that I'm pretty sure I'll like. I usually don't just throw darts at the board randomly.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    I like to keep boxes of the smokes I really enjoy. And even then there is two seperate box catagories for me. Boxes of my every day smokes (LPH Rojo-cheap $2 sticks)and then a box or two of the smokes I really enjoy(like the Undercrown-$179). I rarely buy the later of the two since they are pricely. Other than that, I'll get a sampler every now and then, or get in on a couple trades to try new stuff. You kinda have to try new stuff. Your taste will change and the only way to find what you like is to try something new. After all...you found your favorite by trying something new in the first place!
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    With only getting back into cigars heavily a few months ago I'm just trying as much as I can. I have found some that I will probably keep an eye out for when I do have the money to stock up on stuff. It's also been great doing some trades and different passes because I've been able to try a lot more than I would have otherwise been able to and I'm just glad that I found the forum here.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Like some have mentioned, I have mainly singles in my Humidors. When I try one that I like I make sure to always have some on hand (I note this when I try the ciagr for the first time). I also have some that I may want to re-visit (if I feel for some reason it didn't get a "Fair Shake" when I first tried it). Then there are the tried and true cigars that are always good. Those age while I try the rest. Ultimately, some day I see my Humi being filled with a handful of brands/blends I have come to enjoy consistently. Part of the fun is trying new stuff. Just like anything else. If you have steak for dinner every night, you eventually get sick of steak.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    So many cigars, so little time.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Both. I like to try new things, but it is also nice to know what you're sitting down to.
  • dopeyferreedopeyferree Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 274
    I very rarely buy a box of just one cigar. I mostly buy the sampler packs that have to atleast contain 1-2 that I have never had. I really enjoy how different tasting sticks can be. Even the same stick just in a different size can taste different. I have a few go to sticks that I keep, and I usually share those with my friends who are always looking for a solid hand out.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    i like to try as many new sticks as i can
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Both I try samplers and get multiplies of the ones I like.
    Sometimes its a box sometimes a 10pack.

• acewoodsonacewoodson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 191
    I love buying samplers and trying as many different cigars as I can. I am making note of the ones I like and don't like so I can keep my favs on hand. I imagine I will be a sampler fanatic as I really like to keep things changed up. Variety is the spice of life.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    im currently buying samplers so i can try a bunch of different cigars, but if i had the room/money i would get a box or two of ones ive had and really liked which i will do someday...
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    Lots of singles and 5ers. I like to change it up for variety's sake. Sometimes, I'll be thinking about a certain cigar and look forward to it all day, other times I'll do a blind grab out of the humi to surprise myself.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    You know I am always trying new sticks because no one ever has the market on perfect flavor right? Its like food...you can say you have tried everything and then someone decides to bread their fried chicken in Captain Crunch cereal crumbs and it is amazing. Turns out you indeed had NOT tried everything. So with new crops, blends, vitolas, aging, priming, all kinds of other variables there will always be something new and delicious to try. But when I get something I really like I buy a box. Because I have decided the taste was good enough I want more. Recent box purchases for me were My Father cremas, Master by Carlos Torano, PDR 1878 Oscuro, My Father Federal LE.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    I'm still in my try as many as I can stage so I can start buying boxes of the few that I really love.